LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(See the complete passage discussion here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=12785)

The correct answer choice is (B)

In writing this passage, the author showed that the combination of amateurish production and artistic vision makes Cameron’s fancy-subject photographs vital and peculiar treasures. Our prephrase is that the correct answer choice will describe the author’s purpose, to communicate this view.

Answer choice (A): This answer choice is inconsistent with the passage, which did not describe Cameron’s development as a photographer, but rather discussed why her fancy-subject pictures are counterintuitive treasures.

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice because it properly describes the author’s purpose in arguing that it is the combination of Cameron’s artistic vision and her amateurish props and subjects that makes her photographs vital and charming.

Answer choice (C): Although it is true that Cameron’s theatrical vision accounts for the strengths of her work, it is inconsistent with the passage to say that her vision also accounts for the weaknesses of her work.

Answer choice (D): There is no indication in the passage that Cameron sought to “acquire for photography the prestige accorded to painting,” and it is incorrect to attribute to the author the goal of expressing an overall negative view of Cameron’s work.

Answer choice (E): The author did favorably describe Cameron’s The Passing of Arthur. However, there is no indication that the author considers this work to be a masterpiece. And, even if the author were to consider it as such, the main purpose of the passage was not to defend that particular work. Rather, the discussion of The Passion of Arthur was just one work the author used an example to make a broader point.
 Cking14
|
Hi,

I chose answer choice (C) for this question and the correct answer choice is (B). For this question, I don't recall the author mentioning that this particular artist's works were of "aesthetic value." When I read this passage, the author referred to several things in Cameron's photographs that would usually be considered not that great. So, the way I understood answer choice (C) was that it encompassed both the weaknesses that the author referred to, but also the strengths (i.e., the reason the author likes Cameron) and points out qualities that the author finds to be of a special quality. The author refers to Cameron's quality in the last paragraph. What am I missing here?

Please help!
Thanks!
Chris
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Cking14 wrote:Hi,

I chose answer choice (C) for this question and the correct answer choice is (B). For this question, I don't recall the author mentioning that this particular artist's works were of "aesthetic value." When I read this passage, the author referred to several things in Cameron's photographs that would usually be considered not that great. So, the way I understood answer choice (C) was that it encompassed both the weaknesses that the author referred to, but also the strengths (i.e., the reason the author likes Cameron) and points out qualities that the author finds to be of a special quality. The author refers to Cameron's quality in the last paragraph. What am I missing here?

Please help!
Thanks!
Chris
Hello Cking14,

I see you have some questions today. --It's not so much "Cameron’s essentially theatrical vision", in answer C, that's the issue, but the real-life factor of people making faces or otherwise behaving in off-kilter manners. (Or amateurish costumes, settings, etc.) One could even say that it's the failure of her vision to be realized (because of the real-life problems that set in) that is the key factor.
That's why answer B, "tension between Cameron’s aims and the results she achieved", is better.
(Also, there's a reference to aesthetic value in "What gives Cameron’s pictures of actors their special quality—their status as treasures of photography".)

Hope this helps,
David
 gintriag
|
I didnt understand the explanation. Can you guys post the whole analysis of this question?

Thanks,
 Claire Horan
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Gintriag,

When approaching a main purpose question, it is best to prephrase. Before looking at the answer choices, have a sense of the main purpose or idea in your own words. For example, my prephrase might be: "Cameron's work is special or artistic because of the difference between the fanciness of what she was aiming for and the amateurishness that is obvious in the final product." Another approach might be to underline a sentence that you think exemplifies the main idea. Either way, it is important to know ahead of time what the correct answer looks like. I think you will arrive very close to the correct answer if you prephrase. If not, though, below is my explanation of why the other answer choices are wrong.

(A) to chronicle Cameron’s artistic development as a photographer, which culminated in her masterpiece The Passing of Arthur

This answer choice is incorrect for a few reasons. "Development" connotes the passage of time, and we don't get any idea in the critique that Cameron grew or changed as a photographer. We don't know when she created "The Passing of Arthur," nor is it referred to as one of her greatest. The author may be using it simply as a representative example.

(B) to argue that the tension between Cameron’s aims and the results she achieved in some of her works enhances the works’ aesthetic value

This is very close to my prephrase, and also very close to the author's sentences describing what makes Cameron's art truthful or special. It doesn't matter that the word "aesthetic" is not used in the passage. "Aesthetic" means roughly to be appreciated artistically.

(C) to show that Cameron’s essentially theatrical vision accounts for both the strengths and the weaknesses of her photographic oeuvre

This is the closest one to the right answer. The previous post by David does a good job of explaining why it is incorrect, but I will try to put it in my own words. The vision itself does not account for the strengths and weaknesses. A photographer could, through better props or lighting effects, for example, achieve some of Cameron's vision without the weaknesses. The weaknesses are caused not by the vision itself but through Cameron's attempts to achieve that vision. That is why answer choice B is better.

(D) to explain why Cameron’s project of acquiring for photography the prestige accorded to painting was doomed to failure

This type of project isn't mentioned, and the author doesn't hypothesize about what would or would not have been possible.

(E) to defend Cameron’s masterpiece The Passing of Arthur against its detractors by showing that it transcends the homely details of its setting

This is too narrow. "The Passing of Arthur" is only mentioned at the end of the passage.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.