LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(See the complete passage discussion here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=14060)

The correct answer choice is (C)

Here, the question stem asks us to select the answer choice that best states what the passage does, what it accomplishes. Our prephrase is that the passage introduces the theory of strict constructionist Darwinism and provides evidence tending to undermine that theory.

Answer choice (A): The “recently proposed hypothesis” is that of strict constructionist Darwinism, which the Author argues against.

Answer choice (B): The author does present the competing views of two subjects, Charles Darwin and the strict constructionist Darwinians, but those views are not engaged in a contemporary debate. Further, the Author does not simply summarize opposing positions, but rather argues against the strict constructionist Darwinians.

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer choice because the Author provides evidence showing that the strict constructionist view is incorrect.

Answer choice (D): The “traditional theory” in this passage is Darwin’s theory of evolution. The Author does not criticize the proponents of evolution, but rather those of strict constructionist Darwinism, a recent theory.

Answer choice (E): Although the Author told us that strict constructionist Darwinism has “recently risen to prominence” (lines 6-7), “prominence” does not mean “popularity.” Strict constructionist Darwinism is now more visible or well-known, but we have no indication that the theory is popular. Also, even if we could say that the theory is popular, the Author’s purpose is not to explain popularity, but rather to show why the theory is incorrect.
 kcho10
|
Hello,

Would D still be incorrect if it had said 'criticize the proponents of a new theory'?
Is it fair to say that another reason for rejecting D would be that the passage is critizing the theory itself, not the proponents? Or would that also be considered criticism of the opponents? Thank you
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Good question, kcho, and sorry to take so long responding. I think that making that change to answer D would certainly make it a contender, although I would have to question whether the strict constructionist folks are proponents of a new theory of if it is just a way of interpreting an old theory. I think that would be a problematic answer, for that reason as well as the second one you advanced, that they are attacking the concept rather than the people who support it.

If the correct answer was removed, and the changes you asked about were made to D, it would probably be the best answer of the ones remaining. I wouldn't like it much, but I would probably be forced to pick it because we are supposed to pick the best answer without quibbling over whether it is perfect or even very good. I doubt our friends at LSAC would have given us an answer quite that bad, with those problems, though, so while this is a fun hypothetical exercise you should try not to let it distract you from the real business at hand!

Good work, kcho, as always!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.