LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (D).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 Rita
|
Hi,

I chose option C for this answer, because the author mentioned that volunteering damaging information can create an image of credibility. Specifically, the passage states that "people who reveal information that appears to be against their own best interest are...perceived as more credible" (20). So, it seemed that answer C was the best option, because the lawyers' clients would need to testify in person in order to reveal information against themselves.

D, on the other hand, I ruled out because it can be either helpful or unhelpful. Is the idea that because the question stem specifically states "in some instances..." the answer should be something that only contributes to the success of stealing thunder in certain cases? If you could explain why D is the better choice, I would appreciate it!

Thanks.
 Jonathan Evans
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Rita,

Great question. While you're on the right track with Answer Choice (C), the passage does not in fact give any evidence that the client herself would or should testify to bring forward this negative information. This is an attractive answer, but unfortunately it requires you to bring in your own assumptions or suppositions.

You are correct that Answer Choice (D) does identify a situation that could backfire. However, there is solid evidence that in at least "some instances" (from the question stem) this strategy of "stealing thunder" to help firm up juries' opinions is effective. Check lines 48 to 54. We have good evidence that this strategy can work in this manner, despite the limitations presented starting in line 55. This is one of the tricky situations in which the way the question is worded makes this the correct answer, in that we are not necessarily looking for something that need always be effective but that sometimes is effective.

I hope this helps!
 salman
|
Can you please explain why A is incorrect and why D is the correct answer choice. After reading the earlier explanation and lines 48-54 I can kind of see the connection however under time pressure no way I would have selected D.
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
salman,

Line 50 decisively proves answer choice (D) is correct, as it is almost a word-for-word match to what the answer says.

As far as answer choice (A), note that there is nowhere in the passage that talks about preceding the opposition's similar message by a short time. If there's no basis for the answer, it can't be correct.

Robert Carroll
 quan-tang@hotmail.com
|
why is B 'some lawyers’ superior skill in assessing jurors’ probable reactions to a message' incorrect?

The passage did talk about how the audiences may react positive or negatively to the strategy depends on factors like timing and nature of information, which indicates the assessment of audiences reaction is a major part of deciding whether to use it or not.

Then the answer is phrased very weakly, uses only 'some lawyer in some instances', which doesnt need a lot to be true.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Pay careful attention to the wording of the question here, quan-tang. We are looking for something that the author mentions, which means it must be explicit in the text rather than merely implied or possible. Answer B is incorrect simply because the author never mentions the skill of the lawyers who are considering whether or not to steal thunder. We have to choose something that they said!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.