LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (B).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 cindymoon14
|
Hi,

Could you please explain the difference between the answer choices B and C? I was stuck between the two, and then chose C as my answer. Could you please explain why not C, but B?

Thanks!
 Daniel Stern
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Cindy:

In both B and C, the person taking action wants to reduce costs, just like the "bean counters" mentioned in the passage at line 47.

However, answers B and C differ in the person's motivation for reducing costs.

In B, the movie studio executive imposes the cost reductions to save money and thereby imposes limits on the creative film director, just like the passage's "bean counters" want to save money and thereby restrict the creative perfume makers.

In C, the art institute director imposes the cost reductions because he fears future revenue will decline. This was not the same as the motivation of the "bean counters."

I hope that helps explain why B is the credited response.

Good luck in your studies,
Dan
 theamazingrace
|
I was stuck between B and D. Why is D wrong?

Thanks
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Grace,

There is no indication in answer choice (D) that the economically-driven actions will have a negative effect on artistic quality. In the passage, the mercantile motivations of the cynical bean counters cause the art of perfuming to be aesthetically less sound - cost-cutting reduces quality. Similarly, in answer choice (B), the restrictions on the director can reasonably be expected to affect the quality of the film. In answer choice (D), the art seems already to exist, and the act of investing in it won't affect its quality. In fact, maybe by investing in art, the executive is encouraging good art - there's really no particular reason to think the quality will be worse because of the investment decision.

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.