LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(See the complete passage discussion here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=10843)

The correct answer choice is (E)

Specific Reference, Purpose questions should always be prephrased, and this is no exception. The phrase “technological determinism” (line 35) carries a negative connotation: according to Ginsburg, this is essentially what Weiner’s line of reasoning amounts to - the belief that “using a video camera makes one unwittingly Western” (lines 36-37).

Answer choice (A): This is not the meaning of technological determinism as prephrased above, so this choice can be eliminated from contention.

Answer choice (B): How the technologies used by field anthropologists influence their views of the cultures they study is never discussed in the passage.

Answer choice (C): The idea that cultures evolve in the direction of greater dependence on technology falls entirely outside the scope of the passage, and provides no basis for the referenced phrase.

Answer choice (D): Nowhere in the passage does the author suggest that cultures’ ethical values determine the technologies they use.

Answer choice (E): This is the correct answer choice. The referenced phrase refers to the notion that cultures are fundamentally shaped by the technologies they use - a belief that Ginsburg clearly rejects.
 alexmcc
|
How do we know that C falls outside the scope of the passage? I put C because it seems like the literal definition of tech determinism, and I didn't reread the sentence after "tech determinism" was used. This isn't the first time I got a question like this wrong for putting an intuitive definition.
 Who Ray
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey there Alex!

There are a number of different types of passages in the LSAT, so that all test takers are facing unfamiliar material. However, test takers are not penalized for a lack of familiarity. The thing that matters is your ability to reason through the passage. That is why using your intuitive definition to answer purpose questions will mess you up. It is far better to go back an read a couple sentences, than assume you've got it.

Focusing on this question specifically, what kind of argument would be made about the tech determinism if C was correct? If Ginsburg is right that Weiners position is technological determinism, Weiner would be arguing that videotapes are destroying indigenous cultures but that is an inevitable thing, while Ginsburg would be arguing that videotapes are fine, if not great, for indigenous cultures, but that they may or may not begin to adopt them in the future. It would be weird and they would end up having a lot of evidence that does not connect to their main argument floating around.

I hope that helps,
Cheers,
Who Ray
 alexmcc
|
Thanks who ray! I will be more cautious about interpreting things literally as I see them.
 yusrak
|
Hi Powerscore,

Why is E more correct than choice A. When I read the passage, I paraphrased the term "technological determinism" to mean that Western values (such as self-expression) is inherently attached to the use of technological mediums. In the context of Ginsburg's argument, I understood that she thought it too drastic to generalize that the use of technology can determine how it is used. I read choice A to mean that when technology is exchanged, its meaning tends to be pre-destined. Oh but now that I write this, I am realizing that this choice does not mean that "the meaning behind the way in which technology is used is predestined." It is only referring to how (physically) tech is transferred (or exchanged). Am I understanding the meaning behind choice A correctly?

But for choice E, I thought it meant that cultures are molded by technology. Yet, I understood that Ginsburg was arguing that technology enhances indigenous cultures rather than changes them. Can you elaborate on what choice E means and how it ties into Ginsburg's argument?

Thanks,
Yusra
 Jeremy Press
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Yusra,

You're absolutely right about the problem with answer choice A! The passage doesn't discuss the simple fact of exchange of technology as something being predestined (which is what answer choice A implies). So nice job correcting yourself there!

I think the problem you're having with answer choice E is that you want the meaning of "technological determinism" to fit Ginsburg's point of view. But that's not what the answer has to do in this question. Rather, the answer simply has to state what the phrase "techological determinism" refers to (whether or not Ginsburg likes what it refers to). Look right after the phrase to see that it's connected to an argument (but not Ginsburg's argument!) that using Western technology "makes one unwittingly Western." You're right that Ginsburg doesn't think that happens, and Ginsburg in fact rejects the viewpoint of technological determinism. But the term "technological determinism" itself does in context refer to the argument that technology makes someone Western, so it's a good answer choice.

I hope this helps!

Jeremy

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.