LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Etsevdos
|
Narrowed to B / E. Why is E wrong?

Many historians...seems to be supported in lines 5-6 [Most historians...as form of money". The true significance is then alluded too later in the paragraph?
 nicholaspavic
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi etsevdos,

(E) is one of the instances that while true is overly narrow. Certainly, the cite you give supports (E) but there's another 50 lines of text talking about how wampum evolved and developed. That's what makes Answer Choice (B) correct.

So the takeaway here should be don't just focus on the introduction or one portion of the passage at the expense of the lion share of the passage when you are looking for the main point of the passage.

Thanks for the great questions and I hope this helps!
 LSAT2018
|
What would be an effective way of comparing/eliminating answer choices (A) and (E) compared to answer choice (B)?

So for answer (A), it can be eliminated because the wampum originated for communication related to religion? Am I right in understanding that paragraphs 2 and 3 both refer to communication, but for paragraph 2 it begins with communicating with spirits (religion) and then paragraph 3 shows how it evolved from that to communication of political messages?
 Lourdiana
|
Is there a reply for this? I too chose option A
 alexisjay26
|
Can someone explain why answer choice B is superior to A?
I thought the “encoded the provisions of the Haudensosaune Confederacy’s constitution” was limiting and saying “led to more complex uses of wampum including the transmission of political messages” did a better job of giving the general point of the passage
 Malila Robinson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hello LSAT 2018, Lourdiana & Alexisjay26,
Answer A does not appear to be a true statement, according to the passage because it states that "The Haudenosaune’s use of wampum originated with combinations of strings of beads with religious significance..." but the passage states "Loose beads constituted the simplest and oldest (20) form of wampum."
Answer E places the focus on the wrong group. The main focus of this passage was not the historians and what they overlooked, they are simply mentioned in passing. The main focus is on the Haudenosaune and how their use of wampum evolved over time, that leads to Answer B as the correct choice.
Hope that helps!
-Malila
 Lourdiana
|
Ok thank you!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.