LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (B).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 j199393
|
Hello,

I am looking for some help on this question, which states:

"The summary given in passage B in the first paragraph most closely corresponds to which one of the following approaches to historical analysis described in passage A?"

I was torn between answer choices B and D, and ended up choosing answer D when the correct answer was B:

B - exploring how a concept of domesticity shapes culture and politics
D - evaluating the role of masculinity in regulating thought and action

Can someone walk me through why D is incorrect here? In passage A, I thought this spoke to the role of gender studies as being what is mentioned in the first paragraph: "Articles about men evaluated the role of masculinity in shaping thought and action."

Thank you!
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi j199393!

Passage A talks about both the approach discussed in answer choice (B) and the approach in answer choice (D): "Articles about men evaluated the role of masculinity in shaping thought and action, and articles about women gave way to explorations of how an imagined domesticity, or separate sphere for women, shaped culture and politics."

We're being asked specifically which of those approaches applies to lines 36-43 in passage B. Digital versions of this test don't have the original line reference, but it corresponds to: "Augustus presented the peace and stability of Rome as resting upon the integrity of the Roman family, and he paid particular attention to relocating women in this domestic context as wives and mothers. Among the laws passed were the marital laws of 19–18 B.C.E. and 9 C.E. that penalized adultery and rewarded bearers of legitimate children."

Those lines in passage B are specifically discussing how imagined domesticity (the concept of the "family", "domestic context", "wives and mothers", "women") shaped the culture and politics in Rome. Yes, the passage is about the policies enacted by Augustus (a man), but the passage does not discuss how the role of masculinity shapes thought and action; rather it discusses this imagined domesticity--families and women's roles in them--shaped Roman culture and politics.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Kelsey
 blaisebayno
|
Hi there,

I don't see how the paragraph in passage B is not discussing a man literally regulating thought and action. Here is the paragraph
"Part of the Roman emperor Augustus’s response to the disorder and disharmony of the Triumviral Wars (32–30 B.C.E.) was to promote laws aimed at restoring old-fashioned Roman morality. Augustus presented the peace and stability of Rome as resting upon the integrity of the Roman family, and he paid particular attention to relocating women in this domestic context as wives and mothers. Among the laws passed were the marital laws of 19–18 B.C.E. and 9 C.E. that penalized adultery and rewarded bearers of legitimate children."

The actions and thoughts described here are, quite literally, the thoughts and actions of the Man Augustus. He is also, literally, using his thoughts to implement regulations in the spirit of masculinity.
 katehos
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi blaisebayno!

The first paragraph of Passage B is certainly discussing regulations created by a man (Augustus), however, the paragraph makes no mention of how masculinity specifically affected these decisions. Instead, the paragraph discusses how this affected the "domestic context" of women in Roman culture. Since this question is asking us which historical approach this paragraph "most closely corresponds to", we need to focus on the approach that is the most accurate. In this case, that is the exploration of how domesticity shapes culture and politics (answer choice (B)).

I hope this helps! :)
Kate

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.