LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (D).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 Arindom
|
Hi,

I chose ans choice E for this question because one of the arguments in Passage A concerns issue of gender and how that shaped culture and politics and I felt that B discusses this specific argument through the different frame of reference which is during the Roman Empire of emperor Augustus.

So, I don't understand how ans choice D is correct and where is the support for it?

Thanks.

- Arindom
 Emily Haney-Caron
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Arindom,

Passage B is really an example of what is discussed in Passage A. So in Passage A, we get this general discussion of this trend in the study of history, and we hear about how it is playing out and the benefits and drawbacks. Passage B then kind of gives us an opportunity to apply what we just read in Passage A, by showing us an example of the things just discussed in Passage A. Rather than talking about scholarship, as Passage A does, Passage B IS that scholarship. My pre-phrase here, then, is that Passage B shows what we learned about in Passage A - it is one example of what Passage A discusses. D matches that perfectly. E is wrong because Passage B isn't advancing the same argument as Passage A; they're making completely separate arguments (one about trends in the study of history about women/gender, and one about the roles of women in a specific time period). Rather, Passage B is an illustration of the point made by Passage A.
 Albertlyu
|
hi thanks, may I ask with D, there in passage A mentioned the strengths of the trend, ie. shifting from focusing on women to gender.
 Albertlyu
|
is it from the second paragraph of passage A: "this scholarship demonstrates the explanatory potential embedded in gender, but it also reveals why......." and toward the end of the paragraph:" that of gender offers an analytic framework within which to analyze social and political structures."?

so the author is saying that the shift from women per se to gender allows us to understand the social and political structure while it also has cons like less attention will be paid to women per se.

please can anyone tell me if my understanding is correct? thanks, appreciated!
 Jeremy Press
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Albert,

Yes, you've got it--nice job! In passage A, the strengths of the "gender relations" approach are "the explanatory potential embedded in gender," and the "analytic framework within which to analyze social and political structures." The weaknesses are the author's fear "that gender obscures as much as it reveals: that in focusing on underlying structures, we overlook the particular ways in which individual women engaged their worlds."

Keep up the great work!
 Albertlyu
|
thank you, Jeremy!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.