LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (C).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 Etsevdos
|
I was between C / E. Why is C E incorrect? "Now being recognized" suggests that it is a recent development. Lines 8 states: "little studied" which suggests that they have been studied in the past.

My justification between C / E is that if we look at the subject of the passage, it talks about the FTP Negro units more than the US government. Therefore, C is better since the Negro Units are the subject in that answer choice whereas the US Govt is the subject in E.

I guess E is also incorrect because it only applies to last paragraph?
 Claire Horan
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Etsevdos,

Yes, that's a great point about answer choice (C) foregrounding the Negro Units, whereas answer choice (E) puts them in the background. In diversity passages, the underrepresented group will generally be the center. (E) treats the Negro Units more like a means to the end of helping the country during the Great Depression.

I would also take a step back from your explanation of (C) versus (E) to consider the merits of (C) on its own. It takes pains to include the main point of each paragraph in the passage, including the aspect of the Units' importance, their current recognition, and the diversity of voices within the units. It's good to compare answer choices as you are doing, but just looking at (C) on its own shows that it addresses all of the important aspects from the passage and is, therefore, the right answer to a main point question.
 racoonprinter
|
I chose E because I found this line in C to stray to far from what is directly stated in the text: "..are now being recognized for the pivotal role.."

In the text, it just says "One of the most important, though until recently little-studied, legacies of the program.." It does not mention anything about recognition.

Can someone explain this more in depth? What should be my strategy in approaching main point questions in reading comp?
 Paul Marsh
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi raccoonprinter! Great question. You're correct that some of the language in (C) isn't directly used in the text. However, it's close enough to not be disqualifying. "One of the most important...legacies" implies both a) some degree of recognition and b) playing a pivotal role. It's great to have a keen eye on the LSAT for shifts in language (e.g. "many" vs "most" would be a key shift to clue in on ), but don't let a couple different words be enough to throw you off of a correct answer. When you notice a language shift, focus in on the meaning. Did the changed words really change what the sentence is saying? Here, the answer is no.

In general, Main Point questions on RC should be approached differently than Main Point questions on Logical Reasoning. On Logical Reasoning, we are looking for the one sentence/clause in the stimulus that constitutes the conclusion. On Reading Comp, however, we're not looking for one specific sentence in the passage. Instead, we're trying to create a one-sentence summary of the entirety of the author's argument. I think of the Main Point like a current that runs throughout the entirety of the passage. It should ideally touch on all the major components of the author's argument. If an answer choice ignores a big chunk of what the author is talking about, it's probably incorrect. The most common wrong answer choices for Main Point questions are ones that are too narrow in scope - they focus on one or two paragraphs instead of hitting on the whole passage. Don't fall into that trap.

Hope that helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.