LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (D).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 asalmen
|
Can someone explain why the correct answer is D and not A? Is it because of the word "successful" and it didn't mention anything about the relative success of the Harlem Renaissance?

Thanks!
 nicholaspavic
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi asalmen,

This one is a tricky question that I am glad you brought up. Of course, we are getting a specific reference question to the beginning of paragraph 2 with the question, but they are throwing you a curveball. In isolation, that sentence would amount to "an example of a successful African American artistic movement that preceded the founding of the Negro Units" as stated in Answer Option (A). But the passage does not stop there. It goes on to give examples of the "diverse body of thought" from the Harlem Renaissance that also emerged in the Negro Units. So going back to your question of whether "successful" disqualified this as an answer choice, the answer is firm "no." The line we were referred to was introducing us to a concept that when viewed in isolation became deceptive. It was a line to introduce us to the history of the thing which is why Answer (D) is the better answer. So the lesson here? Make sure you are reading all those answer choices and that you understand how an introductory sentence goes to other deeper arguments presented within that paragraph.

Thanks for the great question!
 T.B.Justin
|
Hey all,

To further add to the conversation, frustratingly as it is for me to understand this after the fact, as Nicholas pointed out its the synthesis of the first two sentences of paragraph 2 (ln 21-27) that I found to provide the justification for this answer choice.

Asalmen,

I too, was attracted to answer choice A, and did not think of the big picture idea that, in my opinion, the second sentence of paragraph two brings to light: the seeds of thought that were already planted within the African American community (my spin on it).

Nick,

Thanks for pointing this broader idea out!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.