LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Flaw in the Reasoning. The correct answer choice is (A).

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):
 chian9010
|
Dear PowerScore,

I was very confused about this question. Could you please explain why the answer is A)

Thank you!
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Before we give you a complete answer, chian9010, we'd like to hear more about your thoughts on this question and how you analyzed it. For example, did you catch the "only if" language in the stimulus and realize that you were looking at conditional reasoning? Did you try diagramming that claim, and comparing that claim to others in the argument? What was your prephrase after reading the question stem, and what answers did you treat as contenders when going through them?

If you don't mind sharing a little more about your process here, we can then give you a more helpful answer that might set you on a better path with this question and others like it.

Looking forward to hearing from you!
 discokid22
|
Hi Powerscore,

I'm working through the PS bibles and am having a real hard time with conditional reasoning. Most of the time I'm able to work out how the logic works, but this particular question is giving me fits.

The only conditional statement I can see is in the 3rd sentence which I have diagrammed as such: not increase cost of publication ->change from paper version to an online version

The passage continues to say that a benefactor has agreed to cover the cost of conversion (i.e. will not increase the cost of publication ). Is the issue here that not increasing the cost of publication is on the sufficient side and not the necessary?

Isn't answer choice A describing a mistaken reversal?

Thanks!
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
You've got the mistaken reversal yourself there, disco. The first sentence says that they should change to an online version only if doing so won't increase publication costs. "Only if" is a necessary indicator. So when we draw out the conditional it says

Change to online version :arrow: increase publication costs

The stimulus goes on to say that it won't increase the publication costs to switch, because a benefactor is covering the cost of the switch, and the per issue cost is lower online. The editor then goes on to conclude since the costs won't increase, the journal should switch to online.

This is a mistaken reversal. Knowing that the necessary is true doesn't tell us anything about the sufficient. That's what the correct answer choice describes.

Hope that helps

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.