LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Flaw in the Reasoning. The correct answer choice is (C).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):
 ilana11
|
Hello,

Could someone please help me understand why D is wrong? I had it down to C and D and ultimately picked D because I thought the main flaw was the shift from "a proposed amendment would allow" to rejecting the proposed amendment outright. My prephrase was pretty much D word for word: just because the amendment would allow the council to make a certain decision, doesn't mean they absolutely will. I can see how C is right, but I'm having a hard time proving why D is wrong. Is D wrong because conducting solely by mail is not the same as requiring voting by mail? Any help would be appreciated!
 nicholaspavic
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi ilana,

Great question. Here the conclusion that "therefore, voting by mail should not be allowed..." is very strongly worded. Note how it allows for absolutely no room for possibilities, choices or judgments. In other words, just leaving the possibility open that the council might do otherwise is not the flaw here. The author went nuclear and said it should never happen. So the flaw is not that choice was left open to the council. It's a even larger issue to this author, and therefore, Answer Option (D) is incorrect.

Accordingly, Answer (C) which identifies the appeal to tradition (aka authority) correctly identifies the flaw. It's a classic flaw that this stimulus argues: accept this claim on mere authority without requiring sufficient justification. Who cares what this author considers to be a sacred right? Who cares about the past? Give us some justification for what is happening now or shut up, stimulus dude!

Thanks for the great question and I hope this helps.
:-D

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.