LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Parallel Flaw. The correct answer choice is (A).

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):
 ChicaRosa
|
Is the flawed reasoning in the stimulus that it's generalizing all contemporary novels of being incapable of making new contributions without going into detail about how they aren't?

Thanks!
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
ChicaRosa wrote:Is the flawed reasoning in the stimulus that it's generalizing all contemporary novels of being incapable of making new contributions without going into detail about how they aren't?

Thanks!

Hello,

No, it's not exactly a generalization. It's more of a "time shift", i.e., "Just because something hasn't been successful before [or recently], it is never going to happen in the future."

David
 ashpine17
|
I read the stimulus and saw two flaws, only one of which showed up in the answer choices.
1.) the argument is overgeneralizing in the conclusion because action, romance, and psychological novels don't make up the entirety of contemporary novels. there may be other types of contemporary novels from different genres that are capable of making new contributions.
2.) because these types of contemporary novels are currently unable to make new contributions, that means contemporary novels as a whole won't be able to in the future

I didn't see the first flaw in AC A, but only the second one...
Is C incorrect because the conclusion isn't strong enough? it says likely instead of something like WILL NOT or CANNOT. if it weren't for that, would it be correct? because it has that same overgeneralizing problem; it goes from one example to all essayists
 ashpine17
|
*WILL BE FORGOTTEN
 ashpine17
|
i'm a little confused after reading the conclusion, is it saying contemporary novels are incapable of making contributions in the present or the future as well? i'm asking because a previous response stated that there was a time shift error and I dont see that
 ashpine17
|
isn't the time shift in the stimulus from the past to the present? the conclusion says IS incapable not it WILL be incapable. the evidence also states that psychological novels HAVE BEEN not are and I'm asuming the same applies to the action and romance novels plus answer choice A says since no gov't HAS been able to solve the issues it means it IS impossible for any government to do so,
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
ashpine,

Both flaws show up in answer choice (A). Employment and inflation are parts of the economy, just like psychological, action, and romance novels are types of contemporary novel that don't necessarily exhaust the entire category.

The change of certainty in answer choice (C) should be sufficient to eliminate it.

Since you recognize a time shift has occurred, I'm not sure what the value is in deciding whether it's past to future or past to present. Either way, answer choice (A) exactly parallels the stimulus.

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.