LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Main Point. The correct answer choice is (A)

This stimulus first puts forth the main point, then supports it with a series of premises. The words “Certainly… Furthermore… But…” were used to suggest a series of supporting premises for the main conclusion, which is that those who dislike some of the physical concomitants of growing old do not necessarily hold negative feelings towards the elderly. It is immoral to dislike the elderly, but it is not immoral or unreasonable to dislike some of the physical concomitants of growing old.

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice.
It is found in “… there is no necessary connection”, which refers to the connection between plucking gray hairs and having negative attitudes toward the elderly. This claim is justified by the last three sentences of the stimulus.

Answer choice (B): This answer is incorrectly because it merely restates two of the premises in the stimulus. These two lines were states in the argument, and never argued for. Thus they cannot be the conclusion.

Answer choice (C): This answer is incorrect because nowhere in the argument does it state that “no one likes the physical concomitants”. The stimulus merely implies that it is reasonable to dislike some physical concomitants of growing old. As such, this answer choice does not pass the Fact Test.

Answer choice (D): This answer also does not pass the Fact Test. The stimulus does not state that the process of becoming elderly is not fine. It merely implies that it is reasonable for one to dislike some physical concomitants of growing old.

Answer choice (E): The second part of this answer does not pass the Fact Test. The stimulus suggests that disliking the elderly merely because they are old is immoral, but it does not say anything about disliking the elderly for another reason.
 Mi Kal
|
Hi,

I cannot seem to be able to reconcile this one. The answer is A
It is found in “… there is no necessary connection”, which refers to the connection between plucking gray hairs and having negative attitudes toward the elderly. This claim is justified by the last three sentences of the stimulus.
I chose D and I understand that the Stimulus doesn't say anything about growing old is fine.
The stimulus does not state that the process of becoming elderly is not fine.
However, upon further review, I don't understand why E can't also be correct.
Answer choice (E): The second part of this answer does not pass the Fact Test. The stimulus suggests that disliking the elderly merely because they are old is immoral, but it does not say anything about disliking the elderly for another reason.
Why does it need to say anything about disliking the elderly for another reason? I mean, A is based off of "no necessary connection('s)" relationship to "cannot be assumed" and it doesn't say anything about needing another reason.
And I guess, I also just don't understand why A is the correct answer.

Thanks for your help.

Michael
 Luke Haqq
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Michael,

Answer (E) states, "To dislike the elderly is immoral, and to do so just because one dislikes some of the physical concomitants of growing old is Unreasonable." The second clause in this answer choice is what is problematic. The stimulus does mention something that is "reasonable" ("Certainly it is reasonable to like the elderly yet dislike the idea of impaired eyesight and hearing."), but it doesn't make a claim about what is unreasonable. Since it doesn't make a claim on this latter front about what is "unreasonable," then (E) seems to go outside what we can know from the passage.

By contrast, (A) states, "It cannot be assumed that people who dislike some of the physical concomitants of growing old necessarily have negative feelings toward the elderly." This better captures the main point, which is encapsulated in the last sentence of the passage: "But there is nothing immoral about disliking some concomitants of the aging process." The sentences prior to that concede it is immoral to have negative views about the elderly just because they're old, but emphasize one can still have legitimate reasons for disliking parts of the aging process without disliking the elderly.
 Mi Kal
|
Thanks.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.