LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Must Be True. The correct answer choice is (B)

This argument suggests that even if the human rights offenses committed by dictatorships are more violent than those committed by democracies, it is more important to criticize the latter than the former. The author gives two reasons for such seemingly counterintuitive proposal: (1) violations committed by governments that represent the will of the people are more reprehensible, and (2) such governments are more likely to be affected by such criticism. Because we are dealing with a Must Be True question, the correct answer must pass the Fact Test, i.e. we must be capable of proving it by referring to the facts in the stimulus.

Answer choice (A): This is not necessarily true. It is perfectly possible that some governments commit no reprehensible or inexcusable acts. The stimulus is not meant to refer to all governments, only to those that have committed human rights violations.

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice. If the violations committed by governments that represent the will of the people are more reprehensible than those committed by dictatorships, and the latter have committed more violent human rights offenses, then answer choice (B) is correct — some less violent offenses are more reprehensible than other, more violent ones.

Answer choice (C): This answer choice is an exaggeration. While criticism is more likely to have an effect on democratic governments than on dictatorships, this does not mean that it is certain to have no effect on a dictatorship. You cannot infer an absolute statement from a comparative premise. Likewise, you cannot infer certainty from mere possibility.

Answer choice (D): While criticism of human rights violations is more likely to have an effect on democracies, this does not mean that such violations are more likely to occur in democracies. The frequency with which violations occur in either type of regime is unknown.

Answer choice (E): Since criticism is more likely to have an effect on democracies than on dictatorships, and democratic governments are the ones that represent the will of the people (unlike dictatorships, which — we can presume — merely claim to do so), this answer choice states exactly the opposite of what we need.
 gab1234
|
Hello! I understand why the other answers are incorrect on this, but would like to better understand why B is correct. Could you help with this?
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Gab,

Sure---let's take a closer look at answer choice (B). Answer choice (B) tells us that we have to know that some human rights violations are more reprehensible than other, more violent violations. When I first read that, I did a double take. How could something less violent be MORE reprehensible? But remember, in a must be true question, we are asked to base our answer completely on the stimulus. Our stimulus says that human rights violations by governments that represent the will of the people (AKA democracies) are even worse than those by more violent dictatorships. From that line, we can derive the right answer choice. Some human rights violations (those committed by democracies) are more reprehensible than more violent human rights violations. Even if that might not be a position we agree with, based on the stimulus, we can draw that inference.

Hope that helps!
Rachael
 gab1234
|
Thanks, Rachael! I really appreciate your help with this one. That was a good reminder for me about Must Be True questions! :)
 nstiell
|
Does answer B assume there's no difference between violations and offenses? That they're not on two different levels?
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
hi nstiell,

Violations and offenses are used interchangeably here. We can know that from the context of the question. The first sentence refers to democracies that commit human rights violations and dictatorships that commit more violent offenses. The second sentence refers to them both as violations, which is consistent with the language we see in answer choice (B).

Hope that helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.