LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Parallel-FL. The correct answer choice is (E).

This is a very useful question, in part because it shows some of the little tricks used by the test makers. Let's start by looking at what happens with the argument.

• CA = Contemporary advertising
    P = Tries to persuade
    MR = Morally reprehensible

P1: CA :arrow: P

P2: MR :some: CA
    (those two premises would be automatically chained together to create: MR :some: CA :arrow: P)

C: P :some: MR
The argument opens with a premise that can be easily diagrammed as CA :arrow: P. That same sentence contains a separate "some" premise, namely that MR :some: CA. Those two statements can be linked together to form the chain MR :some: CA :arrow: P. On the basis of that relationship, a valid conclusion can be drawn that MR :some: P. "Some" statements are reversible, so this relationship can be read in either direction, and the makers of the test reversed the wording in the conclusion of the stimulus to make it a bit harder to identify as valid.

Moving to the answers, what we want in a correct answer is something with a similar structure (a valid argument with a some and all premise, and a some conclusion, not necessarily in that order), and one that has the same "some/all" connection we see in the premises. Let's look at what we have:

Answer choice (A): This has a totally different structure, with both a none premise and an all conclusion.

Answer choice (B): "not all" can overlap with "some" (and equals "some are not"), so this is less problematic at first glance than it might seem (especially since the term in the stimulus was actually "only a small portion," which is actually equal to "some but not all"). However, there, is no second premise and thus no chain, and therefore the argument has a different structure.

Answer choice (C): Before reading this explanation, stop for a moment and consider what you are looking at here. Just as an academic exercise, how would you diagram this (if you were to do so on the test itself)?

I ask that question because this is one of my favorite contrapositives in LSAT history, showing how conditions can be experienced by any member of the group, whether that's "Tomas," "Mae," or as in this case "some people:"

• P: Good Manager :arrow: Decision Adequate Data

P: Decision Adequate DataSome

C: Good ManagerSome
The "some" here isn't used in a Formal Logic sense, but rather as a reference to the idea that a portion of managers do not make decisions on the basis of adequate data. This can be hard to see at first, and if we had simply said Arif and Bert don't do this, it would have been clearer. But "Arif and Bert" are the same as "some," and so what the test makers did was very clever in phrasing here.

Answer choice (D): Again, the premise/conclusion structure and terms differ markedly from our stimulus.

Answer choice (E): This is the correct answer choice. Note how they make you wait in this problem, which makes a lot of students nervous in Parallel Reasoning (they want answers fast since they fear the time consumptive aspect of some Parallel questions).

Does this answer have the same structure and terms as the stimulus? Yes. Is it in the same order? No, but that does not matter. Topic and order of presentation are two things that are not relevant in Parallel problems, so we can ignore the fact that conclusions appears first in this problem instead of last as in the stimulus). Here's the structure, reordered to match our stimulus:

• P1: Son :arrow: SP

P2: Son :some: TP
    (those two premises would be automatically chained together to create: TP :some: Son :arrow: SP)

C: TP :some: SP

Note that, if you simply apply the Elemental Attack to the answers (all-some-some), you are immediately down to (C) and (E). From there our deeper analysis of Formal Logic takes us to (E), but you can see how the LSAT makes sure you know your stuff as far as conditionals, formal logic, and arguments terms and structure.

All in all, a really interesting problem to break down in detail, and you can see so many of the basic elements here at work as far as argument structure, drawing inferences, interesting answer choices, the Parallel Reasoning Elemental Attack and finally what matters in Parallel problems. A great example of how older questions can really teach you the fundamentals of how they make this test!
 LSAT2020
|
I really struggled to correctly diagram the stimulus, specifically the second premise. The second premise tells us that "only a small portion of CA can be considered MR." I was looking at PowerScore's explanation and they diagramed this premise as:

CA -----some-----MR

When I read "small" it didn't register that it implied a "some" relationship between these two ideas. I guess I can see how "small" can imply some, since "small" can imply that at least 1% of contemporary advertisements can be considered MR. However, this was not instinctive for me. I think after going through all the CC lessons, I tend to focus on a more mechanical approach. I look for words key words like "some"/"most"/"few" to determine the presence of an existential or universal relationship.

Any tips on how to not get so stuck on mechanical approach for these types of scenarios?

Honestly, I might just be overthinking this:/
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi 2020,

I wouldn't say you are overthinking this, but that you are thinking too rigidly. You mention looking for terms like "some," but one of the points I make repeatedly in the books/courses is that English is the weapon of choice for the test makers. So, do you think they will always use "some" and make it easy? That's right, you know they won't! :-D

So, to combat that, open up your thinking to all the different ways the test makers could convey the idea of "some." Any of the following would work, and of course, many others would as well:

• A portion
    Part
    A group
    Many
    Few
    A couple
    A selection
    A lot
    Hardly any
    A minority
    On occasion
    Seldom
    A scattering
    Rarely
    Infrequently
That's just a listing I tossed off quickly, and you can see how varied this list is. the key is, none of the above directly says "some" but they can all convey that idea, which means you have to be aware that the language is being used that way. In this problem they used "a small portion" but that would indeed fall under "some."

This is a key lesson to learn, so it's great you ran across it now!

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!
 LSAT2020
|
Dave Killoran wrote:Hi 2020,

I wouldn't say you are overthinking this, but that you are thinking too rigidly. You mention looking for terms like "some," but one of the points I make repeatedly in the books/courses is that English is the weapon of choice for the test makers. So, do you think they will always use "some" and make it easy? That's right, you know they won't! :-D

So, to combat that, open up your thinking to all the different ways the test makers could convey the idea of "some." Any of the following would work, and of course, many others would as well:
  • A portion
    Part
    A group
    Many
    Few
    A couple
    A selection
    A lot
    Hardly any
    A minority
    On occasion
    Seldom
    A scattering
    Rarely
    Infrequently
That's just a listing I tossed off quickly, and you can see how varied this list is. the key is, none of the above directly says "some" but they can all convey that idea, which means you have to be aware that the language is being used that way. In this problem they used "a small portion" but that would indeed fall under "some."

This is a key lesson to learn, so it's great you ran across it now!

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!
Will be adding this takeaway to my wrong answer journal. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply!
 lsatstudying11
|
Hello!

I chose E over C because you need to take the contrapositive in C to get to the conclusion, whereas you don't have to do so in the argument we are given. However, I am struggling to see how the 'some' in C is not a 'some' in the Formal Logic sense and how this then makes C an incorrect answer. I understood the 'some' just as I always would and can't seem to wrap my head around how the Formal Logic interpretation of 'some' is fundamentally different from the non-Formal Logic sense. Thanks so much for your help in advance! :)
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
You could look at that use of "some" in answer C as a standard Formal Logic version of the term, and that would give you this relationship:

M = Managers
GM = Good Managers
DBAD = decisions based on adequate data

GM :arrow: DBAD
M :some: DBAD

(Some managers don't make decisions based on adequate data and some people who don't make decisions based on adequate data are managers)

Structurally, though, this argument doesn't resemble the one we want to parallel, in which the "some" double arrow connects to the sufficient condition in the other premise. Instead, it connects to the negation of the necessary condition. It's close, but because we need to take a contrapositive in this answer and we do not need to do so in answer E, that is enough to make answer E the better choice.
 sjlsat
|
Adam Tyson wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:09 pm You could look at that use of "some" in answer C as a standard Formal Logic version of the term, and that would give you this relationship:

M = Managers
GM = Good Managers
DBAD = decisions based on adequate data

GM :arrow: DBAD
M :some: DBAD

(Some managers don't make decisions based on adequate data and some people who don't make decisions based on adequate data are managers)

Structurally, though, this argument doesn't resemble the one we want to parallel, in which the "some" double arrow connects to the sufficient condition in the other premise. Instead, it connects to the negation of the necessary condition. It's close, but because we need to take a contrapositive in this answer and we do not need to do so in answer E, that is enough to make answer E the better choice.
Hi Adam,

I just had a general question regarding the contrapositive of "some" statements with a negative. In the case of C, what would the contrapositive be of the M :some: DBAD statement?
 Jeff Wren
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi sj,

Just to be clear, there are no contrapositives for "some" statements.

Contrapositives only apply to full conditional statements based on the specific relationship between the sufficient and necessary conditions.

The contrapositive being used in Answer C is the contrapositive of the first premise, which is conditional:

GM -> DBAD

The contrapositive would be:

(not DBAD -> not GM)

This contrapositive would then be linked to the second premise which contains the "some" statement.

While "some" statements do not have contrapositives, they are reversible, which is not the same thing.

More information on Formal Logic can be found in the lesson 8 homework of The PowerScore LSAT Course and in chapter 13 of "The Logical Reasoning Bible."
 gdgz
|
This question is classified as a formal logic question; why are the explanations given using conditional logic?
 Jeff Wren
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi gdgz,

Formal logic includes certain statements that are conditional. One helpful way to think of think of formal logic is as an expansion on conditional reasoning. Absolute terms like "all" or "none" appear in formal logic, but also indicate a conditional relationship and the contrapositive applies in those situations.

The main practical difference with formal logic and conditional reasoning is the additional of terms like "some" and "most" in formal logic, which do not indicate conditional reasoning.

For example, if I state that "All bananas are fruits," that is a conditional statement that could appear in a formal logic argument. If I also had a statement that "Some bananas are yellow," then we could properly infer that "Some fruits are yellow" using formal logic.

More information about formal logic (including how to diagram it) can be found in the lesson 8 homework of The PowerScore LSAT Course and in chapter 13 of "The Logical Reasoning Bible."

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.