LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Flaw in the Reasoning. The correct answer choice is (A)

Giselle argues that the government should raise the sales tax on gasoline in order to restrict the public's consumption of petroleum.

Antoine argues that the government should not raise the tax, because that would be unfair. Antoine says that if the government needs money, it should get it from the whole population, not just gasoline users.

Antoine's response misses the point, because he responds to the imagined issue of raising revenue rather than Giselle's suggestion for controlling petroleum consumption. You should focus on that, because you are asked to identify why Antoine's response is ineffective.

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice. The most annoying aspect of Antoine's argument is that Antoine addresses an imaginary disagreement over revenue-raising methods, when Giselle was merely discussing a method of encouraging people to ration their petroleum usage.

Answer choice (B): Antoine's main flaw is that he is arguing off-topic, so this choice represents at best a peripheral issue. The logical reason that this choice is incorrect is that even though you probably noticed that spreading the tax over all payers would un-focus the tax and limit its effectiveness on restricting gasoline usage, Antoine never indicates that he is arguing for a good method of controlling petroleum consumption. This choice would represent a flaw only if Antoine actually understood the issue, but he does not seem to.

Answer choice (C): You might want to argue that Antoine's argument is inherently worthless because of its reference to fairness. However, it is best for you to focus on the immediate relationship between Giselle's and Antoine's arguments, which is that Antoine is off-topic. Besides, in this case it is quite clear that by "fair" Antoine simply means "unequal."

Answer choice (D): Antoine does not mistakenly assume that Giselle wants a tax only on gasoline, he merely responds specifically to her proposal for a tax on gasoline. You should not assume that Antoine's reply would be irrelevant to his imagined issue if Giselle wanted a tax on other petroleum products as well as on gasoline, because it is unreasonable to assume that relative use of other petroleum products would equalize taxation levels.

Answer choice (E): First, this response does not describe Antoine's flaw respective to a reply to Giselle. Second, it is clearly not implausible to assume that means other than gasoline taxes could more equally distribute a tax. You should not presume, contrary to common knowledge, that gasoline use is more equal across the population than that of other products such as some foods.
 Tony_Stark
|
Could this be considered a Straw Man flaw?

Thanks
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Tony,

I wouldn't personally see it that way. A straw Man builds up a separate, intentionally false point that is easier for the speaker to attack, and Antoine's response doesn't feel like he's doing that. Yes, he's missed the point here with "increased revenues," but I see that more as a genuine mistake as opposed to an intentional distortion or misrepresentation of Giselle's argument.

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!
 nmgee
|
So in answering this question we should just hone in on the purpose of Giselle's argument?

My problem was that I read Antoine's statement on "providing the government with increased revenues" as synonymous to taxation. I (apparently incorrectly) assumed that this was meant as a common knowledge synonym used by the testmakers to draw us away from A. So I would appreciate some help with approaching how to determine whether the testmakers are trying to use their "rewording/synonymous word usage" tricks vs. when an arguee is simply "changing the subject".

Also, are we to assume that (D)'s mistaken assumptions are not relevant solely because Giselle's motivation for the taxes is to reduce petroleum usage and not increase government revenue?

Thanks in advance!
 Alex Bodaken
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
nmgee,

Thanks for the question! Let me start by addressing your point about "word tricks" or language use by the testmakers. Generally, I would argue that it isn't a good idea to try and get too far inside of the testmakers' heads: sure, sometimes you can start to find patters of language use that can be helpful, but generally, the LSAT is asking us to look for logical flaws. So its identifying the logical problems with the arguments - not searching for keywords - that is typically going to be your best bet.

Now as to this specific question: you are absolutely on the right track about why (D) is not the credited answer. Let's say that Giselle did want to propose other taxes (that Antoine ignored the possibility of her wanting)...so what? It wouldn't change her argument here, which is specifically about the gasoline tax and her motivations for it. Whether or not she is in favor of other taxes is irrelevant, and so Antione ignoring that fact can't be a flaw in his argument. Instead, the flaw is (as [A] says) that Antoine addresses her argument as if she is making it on economic grounds, rather than the petroleum-reduction grounds she cites.

Hope that helps!
Alex

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.