LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Must Be True. The correct answer choice is (C)

This is a slightly unusual presentation for a Must Be True question for a few reasons. For one, the stimulus (the advertisement) contains a clear conclusion, and you generally will not see much argumentation in Must be True stimuli. Secondly, the question stem provides some additional information as opposed to simply providing you with a task (the question itself). Regardless, the methodology that you have learned to attack these types of questions still applies.

The advertisement makes the claim that Danaxil is the headache pill one should take because “no headache pill stops pain more quickly.” What is interesting about this wording is that it is not saying that Danaxil is the fastest or most effective headache pill available. Instead, the ad indicates that no other pill is faster. Of course, this phrasing leaves the possibility of a tie between Danaxil and other pills completely open, meaning that Evelyn and Jane (the headache sufferers in the question stem who take Danaxil and a competitor, respectively) could potentially experience relief at the same time, despite taking different pills. Thus you must account for this possibility when selecting an answer choice (and in predictable fashion the difference between the correct and incorrect answers often hinges on this very notion).

A final note for questions like this: when you see a stimulus presented as an “Advertisement” always be on the lookout for some type of questionable or flawed reasoning, as there is almost always some dubious logic involved in the argument. In fact, it is worthwhile to be wary of the reasoning given any time you encounter someone or something that seems likely to have an inherent agenda (like “Politician” or “Corporate Spokesman,” for instance). The test makers love to riddle these arguments with weak/faulty reasoning, so it helps to be aware of this tendency when you attempt questions of this sort.

Answer choice (A): The stimulus is not addressing which headache pills work and which ones do not (in fact, it states that all headache pills can stop a headache), but rather it discusses the relative speed with which different pills relieve pain. So to conclude that Jane’s headache will not be relieved simply because she did not take Danaxil would be incorrect.

Answer choice (B): This answer choice plays on the mistaken assumption that just because nothing is faster than Danaxil then Danaxil must be the fastest. But as we discussed above it is entirely possible that other pills are equally as fast as Danaxil, so it is possible that Evelyn and Jane will experience relief at the same time.

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer choice. Because no pill is faster than Danaxil, either Evelyn’s headache will be relieved faster than Jane’s, or they will be relieved at the same time. Either way, Evelyn’s headache will be relieved at least as quickly as Jane’s.

Answer choice (D): While it is certainly possible that the two pills work at the exact same rate, you cannot know with certainty that they will. Thus you cannot conclude that Evelyn and Jane will be relieved at the same time.

Answer choice (E): This answer choice introduces information that is clearly impossible to know. Even if Evelyn experiences better results taking Danaxil than Jane experiences with a competing pill, there is still no way that you could conclude with certainty that Jane will be taking Danaxil for future headaches.
 smackmartine
|
claim : "no headache pills will stop pain more quickly."

Does n't this claim makes B correct?
I have seen a pattern that on Must be true type ?s, it is very likely that "at least" indicates correct choice. However, I just want to understand the underlying reasoning for this question?

Thanks in advance!
-Smack
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Since no headache pill stops pain more quickly, it is possible that Danaxil works just as fast as any other headache pill. Nothing works faster, which does not preclude the possibility that they all take the same amount of time to work.

B is possibly true, but not necessarily. Also, if you choose B as the answer, you'll automatically make C true as well.
 smackmartine
|
Thanks! Makes sense.
 haideemaria
|
Hello,

Currently I am working on Must Be True Questions and I wanted a few explanations for wrong answer choices, as the book does not provide any. All of these questions are from the Logical Reasoning Question Type Training book.

pg 25, Q16
My choice: B
Correct answer: C
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
haidee,

This can be a tricky one due to this wording: "no headache pill stops pain more quickly." This does not mean that Danaxil is faster than all other headache pills! If no headache pill is faster than Danaxil, a pill could still work as quickly as Danaxil. All the ad says (and since this is a Must Be True, we accept the ad's claims) is that nothing is faster, and that wording does not negate the possibility of ties.

Keeping that in mind, answer choice B claims that Evelyn (taking Danaxil) will get relief more quickly than Jane (taking another pill). We don't know that, because the pill Jane takes could work as quickly as Danaxil; the only thing excluded by the stimulus is working faster. This is why C is the correct choice - it incorporates that possibility of working at the same speed.

A is wrong because we aren't given a reason to think Jane's pill won't work.

D is wrong because it states as a certainty what is a mere possibility.

E is wrong because it includes new information.

Robert
 rameday
|
This is a specific question about question four on 1-11 in the course book. I am going through the pre-phrase drill and for that question I pre phrased that Evelyn will have a ending of headache pain quicker than jane. My other pre phrase was that both E and J all both have relief of headache pain. I picked B as my pre-phrase directly matched that Answer choice and that answer is wrong. I don't quite understand why C is correct. The stimulus says that no head ache pill stops pain more quickly so wouldn't that make B the correct answer and C wrong as it doesn't match the level of certainty in the stimulus.

A
 Ron Gore
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi A,
rameday wrote:This is a specific question about question four on 1-11 in the course book. I am going through the pre-phrase drill and for that question I pre phrased that Evelyn will have a ending of headache pain quicker than jane. My other pre phrase was that both E and J all both have relief of headache pain. I picked B as my pre-phrase directly matched that Answer choice and that answer is wrong. I don't quite understand why C is correct. The stimulus says that no head ache pill stops pain more quickly so wouldn't that make B the correct answer and C wrong as it doesn't match the level of certainty in the stimulus.
The question you are referring to is from October 1991, PT 2, Section IV, LR 2, Q23. This is a Must Be True question. The stimulus tells us that "no headache pill stops pain more quickly than Danaxil." This does not mean that Danaxil beats all other headache pills. You are neglecting the possibility that there could be a tie. Even if no other pill beats Danaxil, the other headache pills could be tied with Danaxil. Answer choice (B) expresses the possibility that Danaxil beats the competitors, but that is only a possibility and not a certainty. Answer choice (C) is correct because it recognizes the possibility that Danaxil could be tied with Jane's headache pill, though it could beat it as well.

Best wishes,

Ron
 Echx73
|
Hey Ron,

I have a question, you stated from the information in the stimulus "no headache pill stops pain more quickly." I answered the correct choice but I thought long and hard about B. My question to you is: How do you get from the fact that Danaxil will stop the headache faster, but also could tie?

To take this concept out of the question. Ron, if you and me were on a track and you were quicker than me, we know that you would always beat me in a race. How can you get from this line as well that I could tie you?

Thank you for the input!

Eric
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Eric,

I'm afraid your analogy doesn't use the same language as in the original stimulus. The advertisement says, "No headache pill stops pain faster [than Danaxil]". Just because nothing works faster doesn't mean that everything else works more slowly - it is entirely possible, given the language used here, that Danaxil would tie with other competitors.

To use an analogous case, if I told you that "no one scored higher than Betsy on the most recent practice test" - does that mean that Betsy got the highest score? No! Likewise, if Ron and you were on the same track and it turns out that you are NOT faster than Ron, it's entirely possible that the two of you tied.

Does this make sense?

Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.