LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Must Be True. The correct answer choice is (D)

In this Must Be True question we are really just given a statement of facts. Although the stimulus does refer to the scientists’ conclusions, they are not actually the conclusions of the passage as a whole. Based on the theory that “the more genetically similar two species are to each other, the more recently they diverged from a common ancestor,” the scientists have come to two conclusions. The first being that “bears and raccoons diverged 30 to 50 million years ago.” While the second is a bit more convoluted since it really includes two main pieces of information. Red pandas separated from raccoons millions of years later, and this occurred 10 million years before giant pandas diverged from bears. This means that giant pandas diverged from bears after all bear species diverged from raccoons.

Answer Choice (A): We cannot know this to be true because we never knew what the scientists “originally thought” about how closely related these two species are. And so we must eliminate this answer choice.

Answer Choice (B): The stimulus does not give us any information about what criteria scientists use to classify animals as a certain species. It just discusses how closely related certain species are to each other based on how recently they diverged.

Answer Choice (C): The scientists concluded that bears and raccoons diverged “30 to 50 million years ago.” 20 million years is not “within a margin of just a few years.” This answer choice is way off base.

Answer Choice (D): This is the correct answer choice. We come to (D) by combining all the information in the stimulus. First, we know that the more recently species diverged, the closer they are related. Second, we know that bears diverged from raccoons 30 to 50 million years ago. And finally that a few million years later red pandas diverged from the ancestor of raccoons, and more importantly this occurred 10 million years before giant pandas diverged from bears. So in fact giant pandas diverged from bears more than 10 million years after bears diverged from raccoons. And because of this we know that giant pandas are more similar genetically to bears than to raccoons.

Answer Choice (E): There is no indication in the stimulus about whether or not the majority of scientists agree with this theory and its conclusions. Furthermore, the explanation of answer choice (D) shows that giant pandas and red pandas cannot be equally related to raccoons according to theory.
 andriana.caban
|
I'm having trouble understanding the information presented within the Stimulus, why we are able to infer that giant pandas diverged from bears after ALL bear species diverged from raccoons, and why answer choice (D) is correct. I tried diagramming it to understand:

Bears - Raccoons (30-50 million years ago)

Bear --> Giant Pandas (10 million years before)

Raccoons --> Red Pandas (10 million years after)

Thus, I know that Giant Pandas diverged from bears before red pandas diverged from raccoons. How can we make any assumptions about the relationship between Bears and Red Pandas? Hope you can help, thanks!
 James Finch
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Andriana,

This is a tough one because it requires us to either infer or know already that red pandas are actually close to raccoons, and not directly related to giant pandas, which are more similar to bears. It can be inferred from the the stimulus, and a diagram of the two species can help keep it organized:

Ancestor of All Species
/ \
Bears and Raccoons Split (30-50 million years ago)

Raccoons
/ I \
Raccoons, Coatis, and Red Pandas split (25-45 million years ago [a few million years after the first split])

Bears
/ \
Giant Pandas split from other bears (15-35 million years ago [10 million years after the raccoon split])

So what can we infer from this? Not much, only that red pandas are basically raccoons while giant pandas are basically bears. This is essentially what the correct answer choice (D) says, while the others are designed to feed on the confusion that the stimulus is trying to sow.

Hope this clears things up!
 andriana.caban
|
Your post helped clear up confusion. After seeing it diagrammed correctly, I understand why the answer I chose was incorrect and why answer choice (D) is the correct answer choice. Thanks!
 pavandeep9
|
James Finch wrote: This is a tough one because it requires us to either infer or know already that red pandas are actually close to raccoons, and not directly related to giant pandas, which are more similar to bears. It can be inferred from the the stimulus...
Hi James, thank you for your detailed explanation. However, I still do not fully understand why D is correct. My reasoning is slightly dissimilar, the way this question is phrased might be too complicated for me to understand it only in your way (I have an alternate explanation).

I do however, understand thoroughly why the other 4 answer choices are losers, they were rather easy to eliminate. Due to the fact that on the LSAT we will only have 1 min 25 seconds on average to answer a LR question correctly, is it ideal if one eliminates all of the incorrect options first and then decides the remaining one, EVEN IF they don’t fully understand why the remaining opinion is correct/ can’t seem to understand the remaining option in its entirety.

Also, I don’t have any background information about animals, in this case you allude to the fact that already having knowledge of the stimulus would have helped. But do you agree that most of the time we should abstain from allowing specialized outside knowledge to help (this is my interpretation of the LR bible)?
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Pavandeep

Let's start with answer choice (D), and then get to your big picture questions.

1) The more genetically similar two species are, the more recently the two species diverged from a common ancestor.
2) Looking at giant pandas, red pandas, raccoons, coatis, and all seven bear species, we know that:
3) Bears and racoons diverged 30-50 million years ago
4) Racoons and red pandas diverged a few million years later
5) Bears and panda bears diverged 10 million years after that.

The most recent divergence (bears and panda bears) is also the most genetically similar. That's what answer choice (D) says.

On the test, if you can eliminate 4 incorrect answers, it's fine to go with the answer choice that's left. Sometimes it's much easier to eliminate incorrect answer choices than to find the provable correct answer choice.

Most of the time, you should absolutely avoid using outside knowledge. The way I explained it above, I didn't use any outside knowledge. I don't know very much about any of these animals at all.
 pavandeep9
|
Thank you Rachael, I appreciate your assistance!!
 LSAT2020
|
I thought answer choice C was saying that it only took a few years for scientists to put to compile the data regarding the emergence of species. Would really appreciate if someone could further clarify what this answer choice is saying. Thanks in advance!
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi LSAT2020!

Answer choice (C) states: "It is possible to determine, within a margin of just a few years, the timing of divergence of various species."

That's not referring to how quickly scientists can determine the timing of divergence. It's referring to how specific that determination of the timing of divergence is. It's saying that scientists can determine the timing of the divergence of various species to a specific span of a few years.

From the stimulus, we know that "Scientists theorize that the more genetically similar two species are to each other, the more recently they diverged from a common ancestor." Based on this, "scientists concluded that bears and raccoons diverged 30 to 50 million years ago."

But can they say that bears and raccoons diverged between exactly 40,876,324 and 40,876,330 years ago? Nope! That's why answer choice (C) is not supported.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Kelsey
 ericsilvagomez
|
Hi,

I understood most of the explanation, but I noticed that you left " the other bears" from the last sentence of the stimulus. Since the stimulus said, "and all seven bear species" I thought it was referring to the other animals it mentioned. Did "the other bears" part refer to just "the bear" I would appreciate it if you could clear up this confusion!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.