LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Please post your questions below!
 bk1111
|
Hi, I got the correct answer but I was wondering if answer choice E is valid.

GP :arrow: A
Not A :arrow: I
Therefore, GP :some: Not I

I know we can validly conclude GP :arrow: NOT I. Is it still okay to conclude "some" from that? I believe it is but I wanted to make sure. Thanks!
 Daniel Stern
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Bk:

Although answer choice E does NOT parallel the structure of the stem, and therefore is not the credited response, you are correct that it is a valid set of statements.

However, I think your diagramming for the second statement is a little off.

You wrote:
GP :arrow: A
Not A :arrow: I
Therefore, GP :some: Not I

The statement "No artists are intellectuals" is better diagrammed as

A :arrow: I

because it is the state of being an artist that is sufficient to tell us that the individual is not an intellectual. We can see that this is the valid way to diagram it by testing the contrapositive:

I :arrow: A

Meaning that if we know someone is an intellectual, that is sufficient to tell us that the person is not an artist.

If we did the contrapositive of your version, we'd have I :arrow: A, meaning not being an intellectual is sufficient to tell us that you are an artist. This moves us beyond the original statement that "no artists are intellectuals."

The second part of your question, regarding LSAT's use of the term "some": anytime something is true for ALL of the items in a group, it is also true for SOME members of the group. "Some," on the LSAT, includes the case of "all."

I hope that is helpful!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.