LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

LSAT2020
|
I was between D and E and ended up going with D. The reason I chose D in the first place is due to the line in the stimulus that reads, "artistic talent and political insight are rarely found together." I interpreted this to mean:

Artistic Talent= AT

Political Interest= PI

AT :arrow: /PI Contrapositive: PI :arrow: /AT

Answer choice D tells us that we have a specific politician. I assumed this politician has political insight.

Wait, as I am typing this out I am noticing my error! The stimulus does not once talk about politicians, it simply talks about artists versus well-educated people who are not artists. It would be too huge of an assumption to say that politicians have political insight. In order for D to be correct, it would have to read, "politically insightful people who are well-educated rarely have artistic talent." Right?

I would greatly appreciate any feedback!
 stevendoering
|
In comparing D and E, D is the only one that requires an inference be made on the part of the reader (namely that all politicians possess political insight). Given the fact E requires no such inference, it is thus the correct answer (also is provable through formal logic).
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi LSAT2020!

Yes, you caught your error! The stimulus does not tell us anything about politicians, so we cannot prove anything about politicians. It's too big of a logical leap to assume that politicians necessarily have political insight.

Best,
Kelsey
 Cmoeckel
|
With all due respect, I think the first two instructor responses on this could be potentially dangerous / error-producing. Don't think Dave would've explicitly put in his bible that 'most can include all' if that never happens or if that is heinously rare (as the first two responses explicitly say). I think Francis' post is probably more right -- the rare in the final sentence redefines / limits the "most" to exclude all.

So can a PowerScore instructor opine if we should ignore the first two instructor responses? Or perhaps i'm missing something, though I think those two may unnecessarily confuse.

Thank you!
 atierney
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Cmoeckel,

I'm not sure which posts in particular you are referring to, as it seems like the earlier posts are over five years old, which is longer than I have been a part of the PowerScore family! I will just say that in general, you should ignore **any** post that you personally find confusing; and that includes **all** posts that you think are worthy of being flagged as incorrect, on a material/logical basis. I would add however, that the vast majority (more than the minimum amount sufficient to be labeled as most, and possibly, although I can't vouch for them myself, all) of our posts are correct, at least from a material perspective. Now, whether they are objectively clear, as well as subjectively clear to a **particular** reader is a question, at least with regard to subjective clarity, that **only** the reader himself/herself can answer.

In terms of this question, I would turn the floor back to you, and ask whether you had a particular question about this particular question, or whether the confusion arose solely due to the prior comments. Certainly, let me know if there is anything that we can do to further clarify why E is the correct answer here, or if there is some confusion as to whether the word "most" incorporates the common understanding of what the word "all" so incorporates. The answer, of course, is that while "all" is a more specific designator, it is ***not*** incorrect to say use the word most to describe a ***subset*** of the set that the word "all" describes. And this is really what the comments above are trying to express. Saying most people wore hats in a crowd, is **not** incorrect, when it turns out that ***all*** people in that crowd were wearing hats. This is a little confusing, but it is simply a matter of the degree of specificity. Once again, let me know if you have further questions on this.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.