LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Method-SN. The correct answer choice is (B)

As always, the first step in solving a problem is to know what each party said:

• Zelda begins by talking about Dr. Ladlow, saying he has proven that his theory makes accurate predictions about rats, and that on that basis, Ladlow claims his theory is "irrefutably" correct. Note how powerful that claim is: he's saying there's no way his theory is wrong.

Anson replies by laying out an argument in the following order: conclusion, premise, premise. And, it's an argument that uses a contrapositive to arrive at that conclusion. Let's take a look at that argument in reverse order, for clarity:

• Anson ends by invoking a conditional relationship: "Responsible psychologists always accept the possibility that new evidence will show that their theories are incorrect." Or, in diagram form:

RP = Responsible psychologists
      ANE = accept the possibility that new evidence will show that their theories are incorrect.

..... ..... RP :arrow: ANE

However, Ladlow has already claimed the theory is irrefutably correct (and in other words, cannot be disproved), and thus Ladlow is saying that he will not accept new evidence, or conditionally speaking:

..... ..... ANE

This information triggers a contrapositive, resulting in Anson concluding that Ladlow is not a responsible psychologist:

..... ..... RP

The question stem is a Method question that focuses on Anson's argument, which we know from the above used a conditional argument form.

Answer choice (A): No, Anson's comments were part of an observation based on Ladlow's actions, not a character attack. Commenting negatively on what someone does does not automatically make it a character attack.

Additionally, as Rachael noted below: " Answer choice (A) is attacking the source of the argument instead of the content. We don't see that in the stimulus. There's no personal attack on Dr. Ladlow--it's all about his argument. We don't know anything about him as a person. Think of source arguments as a type of insult to the person. Anson concludes he's not responsible, but he doesn't support that conclusion with attacks on Dr. Ladlow's character. Anson supports it by addressing the structure and style of Ladlow's opinion.

For this answer to be correct, you'd want to see reasoning that attacked him as a person, not him as a professional. For example, something that said he gambled on college basketball games therefore he wasn't a responsible psychologist. Or maybe that he had a child out of wedlock, therefore he wasn't a responsible psychologist. Those are the sorts of personal attacks that you would be looking for to choose answer choice (A).

You could imagine a similarly structured argument as follows:

..... Stacey is not eligible to drive. You have to be at least 16 to drive, and Stacey just turned 8.

It's not a personal attack on Stacey to say she can't drive. It's just an application of the rule that you have to be at least 16. Even though the stimulus here uses the word "responsible", it's still structured like an application of a general rule/principle."

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer. A conditional relationship establishes a principle, and Anson applied that principle to the facts of Ladlow's situation to draw a conclusion.

Answer choice (C): There is no uncertain or ambiguous term in use here.

Answer choice (D): No facts were discredited. Instead, facts were used to draw a conclusion according to a principle.

Answer choice (E): No theoretical explanation was rejected.

Additionally, as Rachael notes below, "Answer choice (E) doesn't describe what we see in the stimulus. Anson doesn't reject the theory, he just says that Dr. Ladlow hasn't completely proved his theory."
 kevin.hussain24
|
Hello,
I do not understand why the last part of Anson statement is the conclusion? when it seems like a premise that supports the statement, "Dr. Ladlow is not a responsible psychologist." that's why i choose answer A. can you please explain?
Thank You
Kevin H
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Kevin,

You are correct---the first sentence of Dr. Anson's argument is his conclusion. He concludes that Dr. Ladlow isn't a responsible psychologist. The question is why? Why isn't he responsible?

For answer choice (A), you'd want to see reasoning that attacked him as a person, not him as a professional. For example, something that said he gambled on college basketball games therefore he wasn't a responsible psychologist. Or maybe that he had a child out of wedlock, therefore he wasn't a responsible psychologist. Those are the sorts of personal attacks that you would be looking for to choose answer choice (A).

Answer choice (B), on the other hand, describes our stimulus fairly well. Dr. Anson draws his conclusion based on the general principle that responsible psychologists would be open to the possibility that their theories are incorrect. Dr. Ladlow has not done this, therefore, Dr. Ladlow is not responsible. It's not a personal attack, but an application of a general rule.

You could imagine a similarly structured argument as follows:

Stacey is not eligible to drive. You have to be at least 16 to drive, and Stacey just turned 8.

It's not a personal attack on Stacey to say she can't drive. It's just an application of the rule that you have to be at least 16. Even though the stimulus here uses the word "responsible", it's still structured like an application of a general rule/principle.

Hope that helps!
Rachael
 oadeboy1
|
Can you please explain how Anson's rule can be interpreted into answer choice B?

In the original rule the sufficient is about responsible psychologist and in the contrapositive the sufficient is about psychologists who do NOT always accept the possibility that new evidence will show that their theories are incorrect.

However, the sufficient condition for answer choice B appears to be different from the original rule and the contrapositive. Base on the concept of the rules what whose umbrella does it fall under and why?

Psychologists who can derive consistently accurate predictions about how rats will perform in a maze from their theories

Ansons rule:

Responsible psychologists -------> always accept the possibility that new evidence will show that their theories are incorrect.

Contrapositive:

NOT always accept the possibility that new evidence will show that their theories are incorrect.-------> NOT Responsible psychologists

Answer choice B rule:

Psychologists who can derive consistently accurate predictions about how rats will perform in a maze from their theories ----------> CANNOT responsibly conclude that those theories cannot be disprove

SIDENOTE: Is this right?

Anson attacks the doctor's belief that his or her evidence can't be proven wrong. From my understanding, Anson's argument is not about the doctor's evidence supporting his or her theory.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Answer B is saying that if you do what Ladlow did, then you cannot be considered a responsible psychologist. That's exactly what Anson concluded, and that's why this is the answer that is properly inferred from his argument.
 cgleeson
|
Hi,
I was stuck between A & E (that seems like a first) I had no idea what answer choice B was stating so I dismissed it. I still don't understand what B is saying. I have read several replies but this one just isn't clicking.
Any help?
Chris 8-)
 cgleeson
|
In a situation where I am drawing blanks like I was with this question does it help to go back and try to re-read the stimulus? Or is there anything on the powerscore website I can use as a resource to help me understand this.
I am somewhat new, so forgive my inexperience.
Chris 8-)
cgleeson wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:40 am Hi,
I was stuck between A & E (that seems like a first) I had no idea what answer choice B was stating so I dismissed it. I still don't understand what B is saying. I have read several replies but this one just isn't clicking.
Any help?
Chris 8-)
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Chris,

First, absolutely go back to the stimulus when you feel stuck. And second, if you didn't understand answer choice (B), you should leave it as a contender. Don't eliminate what you don't understand.

Let's go back back to the specifics of this question. The question says that Anson bases his conclusion about Dr. Ladlow on what? Well, before we even look closer at the answer choices, let's look at the stimulus. The conclusion is that Dr. Ladlow is not a responsible psychologist. Why? Because responsible psychologists allow for the possibility that their theories are incorrect.

Now let's look at the answer choices you were considering. Answer choice (A) is attacking the source of the argument instead of the content. We don't see that in the stimulus. There's no personal attack on Dr. Ladlow--it's all about his argument. We don't know anything about him as a person. Think of source arguments as a type of insult to the person. Anson concludes he's not responsible, but he doesn't support that conclusion with attacks on Dr. Ladlow's character. Anson supports it by addressing the structure and style of Ladlow's opinion.

Answer choice (E) also doesn't describe what we see in the stimulus. Anson doesn't reject the theory, he just says that Dr. Ladlow hasn't completely proved his theory. Finally, answer choice (B) says it argues from a general principle. What's the general principle? Responsible psychologists allow for the possibility that a theory could be incorrect. It's a general principle because it is a rule that can be used to apply to a variety of cases. Anson uses that rule to show how Dr. Ladlow is not responsible.

Hope that helps!
 cgleeson
|
Thank you so much Rachel

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.