LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Weaken. The correct answer choice is (D)

The language in the question stem, "most seriously CALLS INTO QUESTION," indicates that this is a Weaken question where one answer choice will weaken the suggestion and the other four will probably either strengthen or be neutral — we rarely are required to evaluate the relative degree of weakening provided by two or more answers. Therefore, understanding the suggestion is the critical first step.

Here, "some" have proposed that the cost of these increasingly expensive academic journal subscriptions be reduced by filtering out those journals which are cited less frequently among all journals. This may sound reasonable at first, but we know that there is a weakness. In terms of critically analyzing the situation, we should consider some premises to be more suspect than others. Here, we can't really dispute that costs are rising and libraries will have to be choosier, so the method of choosing remains as the fishiest element in the argument.

If we are familiar with the world of academia, we can be suspicious about relying on frequency of citation as a measurement of influence. With so much riding on one's reputation for brilliant originality within a particular discipline, many academics succumb to the pressures of "playing games" with the currency of their vocation: ideas. As a result, certain schools or publications or even individual thinkers may remain well-regarded long after the well of wisdom has run dry. On the flip side of the coin, certain schools or publications or people may not receive credit for important insights simply because they were not considered among the select few capable of such genius. So, we are looking for an answer choice that, if true, would go to the heart of such a situation, in which a stodgy inertia basks in the faint glow of dying embers even as it throws sand at emerging flames of prodigious ingenuity.

Answer choice (A): Nonacademic readership rates are far out of the scope of our task, which is to determine what might harm the proposal to select subscriptions on the basis of citation count. We especially are not interested in how nonacademic readership CAN be gauged. This speculative answer choice should be discarded quickly because it is neutral.

Answer choice (B): This answer choice should be discarded quickly because the length of an article is completely independent of how many citations it contains — a point that every beginning law student soon discovers. The suggestion in the stimulus is concerned with using citations as the only filter, so inter-discipline article length could not matter less.

Answer choice (C): This is not correct because the stimulus has confined the discussion to "ACADEMIC libraries used only by ACADEMIC researchers" and their ability to supply useful journals to such researchers. This should be a quickly discarded loser because it is neutral.

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice. Here we have something that goes to the heart of the filtering criterion. If this answer choice was true, then a library that subscribed to frequently-cited journals only would fail to carry some journals that were useful and influential but were not cited as such. Furthermore, this answer choice would make sense within our analysis of academia. It is easy to imagine some well-established professor at Big Name University swiping the ideas of some brilliant upstart out of an obscure journal and passing them off as his or her own. Such sinister designs are not necessary; the Big Name professor might want to give credit to the brilliant upstart but might fear the repercussions from colleagues who would have disdain for anyone perusing such a lowly publication. The latter is what this answer choice provides us, so we can have confidence that it is a strong contender.

Answer choice (E): We know that the correct answer will discuss citations. As long as influence and citations are connected, we are fine. With this answer choice, all the important arguments of a field could take place throughout twenty different journals. As long as all the citations give credit where credit is due, a library would be wisely saving money if it cancelled subscriptions to all the journals below the top twenty. This would not weaken the suggestion because it is neutral.
 sblum
|
Hi,

So I understand why the correct answer is correct, but I feel like I misunderstood the stimulus on my first read through. I thought the suggestion said a journal's usefulness was measured by the frequency with which IT is cited, not how many citations it used. The description of why answer choice B is wrong made it sound as if it was how many citations it used. I chose B because I thought with an increased length, there would be more opportunities for it to be cited. Can someone suggest how I could have avoided that mistake??

Thanks,

Sarah
 AthenaDalton
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Sarah,

I think there may be a typo above -- the stimulus is discussing how many times an article is cited in other articles. So if Article A contains groundbreaking research and has a really explosive impact on the academic community, maybe 1000 other articles would cite to Article A as a reference. The stimulus suggests measuring how frequently an article is cited to determine whether or not it is useful to academic researchers.

The issue with answer choice (B) is that the length of the actual article has nothing to do with how often other researchers will cite it. It's just as easy for other academics to use a short article as a reference as it is to cite to a long article as a reference. Length isn't an indicator of quality or originality, so it won't affect how frequently other academics choose to cite to the article as a reference.

I hope this helps clear things up. Good luck studying!

Athena Dalton
 andriana.caban
|
Hi,

What is the conclusion of this argument? Does the author take on the position of "some" who have suggested ... ? Thanks!
 Jay Donnell
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Andriana!

In this question, the stem is our best source of advice as to exactly what to attack in the stimulus. Very often, the stem will say things like "weaken the argument" or "weaken the author's conclusion," but here we find a very different case.

When given specific directions such as the one found in this stem, we must find the highlighted claim and weaken that. In this case, the stems asks us to find the answer which "most seriously calls into question the suggestion described above," which means we are looking for not the typical argument structure, but rather a "suggestion" in the stimulus.

The author of the passage here doesn't input any of their own opinion, merely transcribes the suggestion made by "some."

The stem is always what gives the specific directions for our mission in any particular question, and it's imperative to read extremely closely to find that not only is this a Weaken question, but we know exactly which portion of the stimulus we are meant to undermine.

I find that this phenomenon happens most often in Strengthen and Weaken questions, so especially in those worlds, be extra careful to follow directions toward exactly what the answer is meant to effect.

Hope that helps!
 lsatquestions
|
I don't understand the explanation for E. I understand why D is correct but can you please walk me through why E is wrong?
 Paul Popa
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi LSAT Qs,

Absolutely! Overall, the author is saying that frequency of citation is an adequate gauge of a journal's usefulness in that discipline, and that it should be used when determining which subscriptions to keep or cancel. This is a weaken question, so we're looking for an answer choice that does the best job of arguing why citation frequency might not be the best indicator of usefulness.

(E) tells us that in some academic disciplines, a controversy will begin in one journal and then spill over into articles in other journals which are widely read by researchers. Ok, so they're read, but there's nothing in this answer choice telling us that they either do or don't then cite the journal afterwards. That's left unsaid, and so we can't infer one way or another what happens with regards to citations. Maybe the researchers will cite all the articles, including the original. Because we don't know how this impacts citations, it doesn't weaken the argument as well as (D) does. Hope this helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.