LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

cmorris32
|
Hi PowerScore!

I have a couple of questions regarding this problem:

1. When I was diagramming this problem, I was diagramming the first sentence as such:
greater number of applicants :arrow: solve problems of low wages AND solve problem of high-stress conditions. I guess it is not that different than how you have diagrammed it (greater number of applicants :arrow: solve problems). However, why is it not necessary to include the two methods of solving the problem? And how do I determine this for future similar problems?

2. For the second sentence, does the "+" that you use indicate "and?" If so, why did you use "and" and not "or?" I originally diagrammed this problem:
Solve problems :arrow: greater number of applicants :arrow: lower entrance standards OR shortage of nurses :arrow: high quality of health care.
Why have you used "and" and not "or" in this case? Does "either...or" specifically take one or the other?

3. Does the second to last sentence ("It is not certain, however, that lowering entrance...") affect this problem? I spent a long time trying to think about how I could incorporate it into my diagram but it seems like it doesn't really matter?

4. Am I correct in diagramming answer choice E as such:
problems solved :arrow: high quality health care maintained

Thank you so much in advance for any of my questions you can answer! Please let me know if I need to clarify anything.

Best,
Caroline
 haileymarkt
|
Hello,

I've seen some conversation of this, but I just wanted to be sure that I understand it correctly.

I diagrammed the first sentence to include the two problems (low wages AND high stress working conditions) separately. The only reason that this wasn't include in many of the diagrams was just because it wasn't addressed separately in the answer choices, correct?

If so, would it be recommended to diagram them separately since we wouldn't likely know how they would be represented in the answer choices until we come across them?

Just looking for clarity...thanks in advance.
 Luke Haqq
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi haleymarkt!

I can certainly address how to diagram the first sentence, "Nursing schools cannot attract a greater number of able applicants than they currently do unless the problems of low wages and high-stress working conditions in the nursing profession are solved."

Since the sentence contains the word "unless," this should be a reminder to follow PowerScore's formula for such phrasing--whatever is modified by the word unless becomes the necessary condition (placed on the right of the arrow), and the remainder is negated and placed as the sufficient condition (to the left of the arrow). Thus, this sentence would be diagrammed:
Nursing schools attract greater number of applicants :arrow: low wages solved AND high-stress working conditions solved
In other words, if nursing schools attract a greater number of able applicants, then this must be because both low wages and high-stress working conditions have been solved. The contrapositive of this would be:
low wages solved OR high-stress working conditions solved :arrow: Nursing schools attract greater number of applicants
In other words, if either low wages have not been solved, or high-stress working conditions have not been solved, then nursing schools will not attract a greater number of applicants than they currently do.

You're therefore right to notice that one of the clauses in this sentence contains two specific variables (low wages and high-stress working conditions), and it's important to diagram them as distinct variables. It's certainly possible that making this distinction won't be necessary in arriving at the right answer choice on a given question, but it's important to stay with the habit of separately diagramming such variables as these that can appropriately be separated. Doing so will help make sure that you catch things like changing the "and" to an "or" when diagramming the contrapositive.
 lenihil
|
Dear Powerscore,

Not sure if this question was already asked,

How to finish questions like this one under 1'25'', the average time for each question if you aim to finish the whole section?

Although I got it correctly, I spent more than 2 minutes to finish this one (had to diagram). So it means nothing.

Thanks.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Getting it right means EVERYTHING, lenihil! You cannot let that average time dictate how you handle any one question, or how you judge your performance. Some questions will take longer, especially those that involve diagramming multiple conditional statements such as this one. Other questions will take you a minute or less, and the goal is to get them to average out.

Focus on accuracy, which comes from good habits and the steady application of the appropriate techniques. Speed will follow as a byproduct of a better process. Don't let the clock push you around!
 lenihil
|
Adam Tyson wrote:Getting it right means EVERYTHING, lenihil! You cannot let that average time dictate how you handle any one question, or how you judge your performance. Some questions will take longer, especially those that involve diagramming multiple conditional statements such as this one. Other questions will take you a minute or less, and the goal is to get them to average out.

Focus on accuracy, which comes from good habits and the steady application of the appropriate techniques. Speed will follow as a byproduct of a better process. Don't let the clock push you around!
Dear Adam,

Thank you so much! Now I realize I have been deviating from the right track. SO WRONG.
Thank you for helping out all the time. :ras: :ras:

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.