LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Weaken-CE. The correct answer choice is (B)

The stimulus argues that since many people buy microwave popcorn despite the fact that it costs over five times as much as conventional popcorn, it shows that many people are willing to pay a high price for just a little additional convenience. That is because microwave popcorn takes only three minutes to cook, whereas conventional popcorn takes seven minutes.

Answer choice (A): If more than half of popcorn purchasers buy conventional popcorn rather than microwave popcorn, it might suggest that more people like conventional popcorn than microwave popcorn. It does not, however, weaken the stimulus’ conclusion, which is that many people are willing to pay a higher price for a little additional convenience.

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice. The stimulus assumes that people buy the more expensive popcorn because it is more convenient. In terms of cause-and-effect, the diagram is as follows:
  • Cause ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... Effect
    Microwave popcorn more convenient ..... :arrow: ..... People pay a higher price for microwave popcorn

If it is true, however, that people prefer microwave popcorn because it is less fattening, then it will constitute an alternate cause to the cause-and-effect reasoning above, calling it into question. Thus it is the correct answer.

Answer choice (C): Even if the price of microwave popcorn reflects more about packaging than its content, it does not change the fact that the many people who buy microwave popcorn may do so for the additional convenience that it brings. People may choose to pay a higher price for microwave popcorn because of its convenience, regardless of whether its high price actually reflects the packaging.

Answer choice (D): This answer may actually strengthen the stimulus, since it eliminates a possible alternate cause to its cause-and-effect reasoning. The stimulus argues that:
  • Cause ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... Effect
    Microwave popcorn more convenient ..... :arrow: ..... People pay a higher price for microwave popcorn
If it is true, however, that conventional popcorn has more wasted, unpopped kernels than microwave popcorn, then that could be an alternate cause to the reasoning above, calling it into question. Answer choice (D) eliminates this possibility by stating that the ratio of unpopped to popped kernels is the same with microwave or conventional popcorn, thus having less unpopped kernels can not be a reason why people pay a higher price for microwave popcorn

Answer choice (E): Even if it is true that microwave popcorn is heavier than an equal volume of conventional popcorn, it does not change the fact that people do pay more for microwave popcorn by weight, and it does not call into question the possibility that many people are willing to pay a high price for just a little additional convenience.
 lawschoolforme
|
Hello,

For this question, I'm having trouble figuring out why A is wrong and B is right.

First, I suppose I'd better make sure I've identified the conclusion correctly: "Judging by the popularity of microwave popcorn, many people are willing to pay a high price for just a little additional convenience".

Is A wrong because even if "more than 50 percent of popcorn purchasers buy conventional popcorn rather than microwave popcorn", there can still be "many people" who "are willing to pay a high price for just a little additional convenience"?

At the same time, how exactly does B undermine the conclusion?

Thanks so much in advance!

-lawschoolforme
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Lawschool,

Yes, that's the conclusion--good job! Now, with that conclusion identified, what type of conclusion would you say it is? That is, what's the type of claim being made?

In this case, the author has made a causal conclusion: the reason (or cause) that many people buy microwave popcorn is that it is more convenient.

Ok, with that in mind, now on to the answers:

• Answer choice (A): You are correct about this answer; "more than 50 percent" does not preclude "many."

Answer choice (B): With the idea in mind that the conclusion is causal, this answer probably looks more attractive now. In (B), an alternate cause is identified: the microwave popcorn is less fattening. So, instead of convenience causing the sales, it might be health considerations.
Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!
 lawschoolforme
|
Hi Dave,

That helped a whole bunch! I didn't actively think of the conclusion as a causal conclusion until you pointed it out (although once you did, I can't think of it as anything else). I actually ended up reviewing the chapter on Cause and Effect in the LR Bible as a result. Thank you so much for your explanation!

Sincerely,
Lawschoolforme
 andriana.caban
|
Hi,

I really don't understand how this argument is an example of causal reasoning! If the conclusion is, "many people are willing to pay a high price for just a little additional convenience" how is that cause and effect? The author is trying to claim that because microwaves are popular, many people will pay the high price.
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
andriana.caban wrote:Hi,

I really don't understand how this argument is an example of causal reasoning! If the conclusion is, "many people are willing to pay a high price for just a little additional convenience" how is that cause and effect? The author is trying to claim that because microwaves are popular, many people will pay the high price.
Hi Andriana,

I explained it in my reply above: "In this case, the author has made a causal conclusion: the reason (or cause) that many people buy microwave popcorn is that it is more convenient." Convenience can certainly be a causal factor (for example, convenience might cause you to eat less healthy food or to take a longer route when driving).

Thanks!
 na02
|
When I used the scoring feature on the PowerScore website, the answer for this question came up as A (hence, my actually correct answer B was marked incorrect).
Just a heads up! :)

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.