LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Resolve the Paradox. The correct answer choice is (C)

The stimulus informs us that the growth-rings in a tree indicate annual rainfall and age, and then informs us that archaeologists have used the rings to determine the relative ages of certain tombs, because the tombs were constructed using freshly cut logs and the logs were cut only from the same area.

The explanation for why the archaeologists can be so certain about the relative ages of tombs is somewhat incomplete. First, the number of growth-rings indicate the age of the tree when it is cut, not the date on which it is cut. Second, there is no reason to believe that the relative placements of growth-rings that indicate extreme rainfall deviations would allow archaeologists to determine the relative dates on which trees were cut.

You are asked to take a stab at completing the explanation, so you will need to focus on finding a response that explains how, in this case, you can use the number of rings and the relative placement of certain rings to establish relative tomb dates.

Answer choice (A): The preservation of artifacts itself does not help the method suggested. You are supposed to explain how the tree-ring method works, and this irrelevant choice will not help.

Answer choice (B): The fact that the trees in the Pazyryk Valley have growth patterns distinct from other trees will not help explain how t he Pazyryk trees, once cut, can be relatively compared to each other, so this choice is wrong.

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer choice. If each log has that distinctive sequence of twelve years, it is reasonable to make assumptions as to the relative dates that the trees were cut, because the archaeologists could simply use that single twelve-year period as a reference point, and count the annual rings past that period. That may not be foolproof, but it is good support.

Perhaps the use of the word “sequence” is questionable, in that many people associate sequences with patterns and therefore believe that a sequence should be repetitive; however, in this case the other responses are bad enough, and this response uses modifiers such as “distinctive” and “a” to indicate the intended interpretation, which is that out of all a tree’s rings, there will be one such sequence.

Answer choice (D): It is uncertain that the relative ages of the trees when they were cut would indicate the relative dates of tomb construction. For instance, since several trees could be used to construct a single tomb, you could have a few logs that were cut at 90 years and a few that were cut at 450 years, but hopefully you would not conclude that the tomb took 360 years to build.

Answer choice (E): The cultural artifacts would not help establish why the tree-ring method was sufficient to know the relative ages of the tombs. If you use evidence outside of tree-rings, then clearly that does not establish that tree rings were sufficient themselves. Furthermore, this evidence is not even clearly helpful to the general conclusion that the relative dates are accurate. You may have believed that by localizing the ages of the tombs to a century or so, the archaeologists could be certain of their comparisons of the tree-rings. However, you do not have any basis for assuming that there are significant deviations in the annual rings for the purposes of comparison, so this choice is not very convincing support even for a generalized conclusion.
 moshei24
|
Can you explain what exactly it means by "relative ages" and how choice (C) contributes to knowing the relative ages. It could be because I don't completely understand what it means by "relative ages," but it's confusing and the explanation online didn't really explain what "relative ages" means in this context. Maybe once I understand that, I will understand the question better.

Thanks!

Sorry, that I've posted so many questions - I've just waited to go over a bunch of them. Take your time in answering them.
 Joshua Kronick
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
First, when approaching a paradox question, you're looking for the answer that will resolve the paradox, so your first step is going to be identifying what the paradox is. Here, the paradox is that some archaeologists were able to somehow use the cut logs that the tomb was made out of to identify its relative age. Relative in this sense just means a good "guesstimate," as to what period the tomb is from, not an exact date. This is a paradox because there's clearly something missing from the equation. How will the cut logs by themselves be enough to somewhat date the age of the tomb? Sure, we could know how old the tree was when it was cut by looking at the rings, but that doesn't tell us anything about the age of the tomb, just how old the tree was when it was cut! Nor would the thickness which indicates rainfall tell us much by itself about the estimated age of the tomb.

However, if answer choice C was true, it would certainly help in showing why the rings on the logs are useful in establishing the age of the tomb. If there was a distinct aka unique pattern of rings indicating a historical drought that occurred in the past, we could trace the tomb back to the time of that drought. This is why it's a relative age, we can't say for sure the exact dated age of the tomb, but we have a good guess as to its relative age, the time of the drought. See how answer choice C resolves the paradox as to how do the logs by themselves help us identify the relative age of the tomb. Oh, because they have a unique pattern on them indicating a period of drought/rain/drought that we can trace it back to.
 moshei24
|
Thanks, Josh! Or if you prefer to be called Joshua, thanks, Joshua!
 reop6780
|
Resolve #10)

About the correct answer C, if each one of the logs has the same sequence regardless of its distinctive feather, how does an archaeologist tell the relative ages of tombs?

I guess i'm confused of the concept of relative ages here.

Are they ages relative to each other tombs or ages of tombs relative to outside Pazyryk Valley?

Thank you
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi reop6780,

In that one, since each tree has that same distinctive pattern, that can be used as a basis for comparison. So, for example, if one tomb is made of logs with that pattern, and ten more rings around that pattern, then we could conclude that the tree lived ten years beyond that specific twelve-year weather pattern (of drought, rain, and drought) discussed in this answer choice. If another tomb's logs all had that same pattern, and twenty more rings (moving outwardly), then those trees, we could conclude, would have lived twenty years after that twelve year weather pattern.

I hope that's helpful--please let me know whether this is clear--thanks!

~Steve
 reop6780
|
Wow, it is very clear.

I'm glad I asked this question :)

Thank you
 GLMDYP
|
Hi!
I think the right answer should be (B) besides (C) since (B) gives out the same logic that the tree ring has a distinctive ring pattern that could be separated from trees grown in other regions, thus researches can safely conclude the ages merely from the tree grown in this area. Isn't it?
Thanks!
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
GLMDYP wrote:Hi!
I think the right answer should be (B) besides (C) since (B) gives out the same logic that the tree ring has a distinctive ring pattern that could be separated from trees grown in other regions, thus researches can safely conclude the ages merely from the tree grown in this area. Isn't it?
Thanks!
Hello,

B is not helpful because all the logs are from the Pazyryk valley, so it doesn't help to distinguish among *those* logs. Answer C does help, because people can see how many rings come before or after the special sequence with twelve annual rings, and that can help differentiate among the various logs to see their relative ages.

David
 Johnclem
|
PT 5(1) Q19

I am so worried of brining outside information to the LSAT that I had difficulty with this question . Anyhow, this is how I approached it. Do you agree ?

1- trees age can be determined by counting its rings .
2- the thickness of the rings reveals amount of rain.
3- archeologists used annual rings to determine the relative ages of ancient tombs.
4- each tomb was constructed from freshly cut logs and only used logs from the valley.

Question type: resolve the paradox

The paradox were trying to solve is the relative ages of these tombs to one another. I had trouble because the facts tell us the trees are "freshly cut" so if a tree is 2 years old and gets freshly cut to build a tomb wouldn't that indicate the age of the tomb? So going in I felt doomed I couldn't paraphrase. When I met answer choice C I then used my outside knowledge of the valley , that some of the trees would be the same age and that's why need the district patterns to determine the relative age of the tombs.

Thank you
John

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.