LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Strengthen—PR. The correct answer choice is (A)

This asks for a principle that most strengthens the citizens' argument that the mayor has ulterior motives (other than the economy) in building his highway.

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice. The citizens contend that the mayor is not really pursuing a cause (helping the economy). They support this with evidence that the mayor's highway will not be as beneficial as a new business park. If this answer choice's principle is accepted—that really pursuing a cause means choosing the means that would most benefit that cause—then the mayor's choice that would not most benefit the economy suggests that he is not really pursuing that economic cause.

Answer choice (B): This answer choice is incorrect. If anything, this may weaken the citizens' conclusion. Since the mayor's proposal requires public (tax) revenues, (B) suggests that this necessary condition for helping the economy is satisfied in case of the mayor's highway.

Answer choice (C): This answer choice is irrelevant to the citizens' conclusion. There is no issue of anyone using public funds without public consent.

Answer choice (D): This answer choice is irrelevant to the citizens' contention. There is no issue with specific goals in the stimulus.

Answer choice (E): This answer choice is irrelevant to the citizens' argument. The issue is not whether the economic cause should be pursued by the community, but whether the mayor himself is pursuing the cause.
 Juan315
|
I guess what led me astray from the correct answer was the wording: Anyone really pursuing a cause will choose the means that that person believes will advance the cause the farthest. Couldn't the mayor defend his choice of the highway by arguing that he's adhering to the principle by pursuing a cause that he believes will advance the cause the farthest? This is what led me to choose C instead of A since I didn't see an answer better than C and I couldn't get past the wording in A. Was I looking too deep into A and considering things I shouldn't have been thinking about? Any help would be appreciated!
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Juan,

The question asks us to strengthen the citizen's group's argument. In order to do that, we need to know what their objections are. They argue that the mayor must have non-business interests in the highway, because the business park would be notably better for business. At no point do they say that the public should be consulted, or object to the lack of public comment. Answer choice (A) strengthens the citizens argument by supporting their contention that the reasoning must be something other than business driving his actions. We know the highway doesn't most advance the cause of helping business. If anyone pursing a cause will choose the means that most advances that cause, there must be another cause it's advancing. It doesn't need to be a slam dunk for the argument. It just has to help it a little.

Hope that helps!
Rachael
 Juan315
|
That definitely helps clarify things! Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.