LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Flaw in the Reasoning. The correct answer choice is (A)

This stimulus begins with the point that most modern Westerners would consider astrology for the unscientific. The author defends such beliefs with the fact that brilliant people from the past accepted astrology. Based on this premise, the author concludes that there is no scientific basis for rejecting astrology.

This is a fairly weak argument. Since science builds on the foundations created in the past, many of the greatest past scientists would likely have had beliefs that had yet to be discredited. As we are asked about the criticism to which the argument is most vulnerable, we should look for an answer that accurately describes this vulnerability.

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice, as it perfectly reflects the vulnerability prephrased above. Past scientists could easily have had beliefs that conflict with later theories.

Answer choice (B): This assertion is logically flawed, and incorrect. There will always be arguments on both sides of any controversy by definition.

Answer choice (C): This answer choice does not represent a flaw in the argument; the evidence is not limited to cultures influenced by Western science. It is the Western Scientists whose views on astrology are being challenged by the author.

Answer choice (D): This is not a flaw in the argument, as there is no such assumption implied. In fact, the author believes that most Western science types don't believe that Astrology has scientific legitimacy.

Answer choice (E): While this might be the case, it is not a flaw in the argument set forth in the stimulus, because the author is focused on the question of whether there is a legitimate scientific basis for rejecting astrology.
 akanshalsat
|
(LRTT CH 10, #24)

Hello! I think the reason why I'm struggling with these types of questions so much is that I don't quite understand the longwinded answer choices. For example, I was stuck between C or E for this, Could someone please explain in a little more depth exactly what A is saying, it can be a little confusing to understand. Thank you!!
 Shannon Parker
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
akanshalsat wrote:(LRTT CH 10, #24)

Hello! I think the reason why I'm struggling with these types of questions so much is that I don't quite understand the longwinded answer choices. For example, I was stuck between C or E for this, Could someone please explain in a little more depth exactly what A is saying, it can be a little confusing to understand. Thank you!!
Answer choice "A" is simply saying that all of the evidence can point to one conclusion today, but at a later date that evidence can change, and the conclusion changes with it.

This is the correct answer because it demonstrates the vulnerability of the argument, the assumption that someone who believed a prior theory that is now proven false does not have a scientific mind.

Hope this clears it up some.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.