LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Strengthen. The correct answer choice is (D)

The policy adviser concludes that freedom of speech is the only rational policy for the government to adopt. The adviser argues that when ideas are openly aired, good ideas flourish and the silly and dangerous are easily dealt with. The adviser believes that nothing is ever gained by forcing speech into secret.

The policy adviser's argument is decent, presuming that the adviser is making recommendations to a government that would benefit from free speech. We might accept that individuals and societies benefit from free speech, but the policy adviser's conclusion concerns what is rational for the government to do, not what is rational for individuals and societies to desire.

Since you are asked to strengthen the argument, you should focus on strengthening the idea that the government, and not just the people, would benefit from free speech.

Answer choice (A): The idea that most citizens would accept limits on free speech should be discarded as somewhat contradictory to the argument. You may have kept this response, believing that if citizens accept some limits, that will make for smoother government and make the policy even more rational. However, that would imply that in limiting free speech, the government gains something. Since the adviser states in his argument that nothing is ever gained by forcing ideas into secret, assuming that this response strengthens the conclusion requires discarding one of the adviser's premises, so this response cannot strengthen the argument.

Answer choice (B): This response suggests that governments respond to dangerous ideas irrationally, no matter the policy on speech. That suggests that the policy adviser was partially incorrect in his premises, so this choice would weaken rather than strengthen the argument.

Answer choice (C): Whether there are other basic rights that the government must recognize is irrelevant to whether a policy of free speech is the only rational policy for the government.

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice. If a policy of free speech makes a government less likely to be overthrown, it is easier to accept the idea that a policy of free speech is rational for the government, and not merely something that is good for the individual and society. This response effectively speaks to a possibility the adviser had not considered. Since it could be a good idea to replace a certain government, by his reasoning that idea would flourish under free speech, and free speech might thus not be in the government's rational interest. This response suggests that possibility may not be as significant as one might think, and thus improves the argument.

Answer choice (E): If great ideas flourish regardless of whether there is free speech, that somewhat challenges the adviser's premises, which weakens his argument.
 cgleeson
|
Hi,

I liked C, it actually made sense to me. However, I was concerned about religion and assembly being outside information. On a Method of Reasoning question can I do this? I thought MoR questions were part of the First Family, hence, I was reluctant to bring in what I think is outside information.
Thank you in advance for any clarification.
Chris 8-)
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
You're looking at this question through the wrong lens, cgleeson. It's not a Method of Reasoning question, and not even in the same family. It;s a Strengthen question, in the second family, aka the Help Family, where we want new information that makes the conclusion more likely to be true or which otherwise improves the reasoning.

The conclusion is the first sentence. Answer C is a wrong answer because it does nothing to improve that argument or add support to that conclusion. So what if those rights are also basic and should be recognized? That has nothing to do with free speech, whether it is a basic right or a rational policy!

Is it possible you are confusing this question for the prior question in the section, which IS a Method of Reasoning question, and for which C IS the correct answer?
 adriana180
|
Hello,
Thank you for the above response. I was wondering if diagramming would help me understand the concepts in this question. Please correct as needed:

1. Sf --> Hr and Grr SSf= Speech free, Hr=Human rights, Grr= Government rational response
notHr or Grr --> notSf

2. Sf --> Io --> Igf and Ibrr Io=Idea openly shared, Igf= Idea good florishes, Idea bad rational resonse
notIgf or Ibrr --> not Io --> notSf

Concl: notSf --> notGa not Sf=No Speech Free, notGa= No Gain
Contrapositive: Ga --> Sf

Answer D : Ga --> Sf Ga=Gain, Sf=Speech free

a) notSf
b) Sf or notSf -- > notGrr
c) Rf and Af -->Hr Rf= Religion freedom, Af= Assembly freedom
d) Ga --> Sf matches contra positive of the conclusion
e) If Sf or not Sf --> Ig -- >If Ig= Idea great If= Idea flourishes
 adriana180
|
SINCADRIANA2@gmail.com wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:00 pm Hello,
Thank you for the above response. I was wondering if diagramming would help me understand the concepts in this question. Please correct as needed:

1. Sf --> Hr and Grr SSf= Speech free, Hr=Human rights, Grr= Government rational response
notHr or notGrr --> notSf

2. Sf --> Io --> Igf and Ibrr Io=Idea openly shared, Igf= Idea good florishes, Idea bad rational resonse
notIgf or not Ibrr --> not Io --> notSf

Concl: notSf --> notGa not Sf=No Speech Free, notGa= No Gain
Contrapositive: Ga --> Sf

Answer D : Ga --> Sf Ga=Gain, Sf=Speech free

a) notSf
b) Sf or notSf -- > notGrr
c) Rf and Af -->Hr Rf= Religion freedom, Af= Assembly freedom Hr= Human rights
d) Ga --> Sf matches contra positive of the conclusion
e) If Sf or not Sf --> Ig -- >If Ig= Idea great If= Idea flourishes
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
This question does not involve conditional reasoning, SINCADRIANA2, and approaching it this way unnecessarily complicates things. Conditional diagrams are appropriate when the relationship fits into an if/then form, which this does not.

For example, the first part of your diagram:

Sf --> Hr and Grr

Translated into an if/then form, what you've written here is "If speech is free, then it is a human right and government has a rational response." This is obviously not what the author wrote or meant! The statements were not conditional (one thing is true IF another thing is true,) but absolute (this statement is true, no ifs, ands, or buts about it.)

Don't make things more complicated than they already are, and don't force conditional frameworks onto claims that are not conditional. Keep it simple!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.