LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi angel,

It's reasonable to assume that, in economic terms at least, rational behavior will be self-interested. In fact, this is the basic assumption behind the rationality axiom, which states that “rational economic man maximizes his utility.” (Some economists substitute for “utility” another term such as “self-interest,” or “well-being.”) This statement has often been interpreted to mean that pursuit of self-interest is the only thing that is done by rational economic actors—and that anything else is irrational.

Let's not overthink this, but keep in mind that - according to the LSAT, at least - a "reasonable person" would consider it rational to act in his or her own self-interest. It is irrational not to :)

Thanks,
 avengingangel
|
Nikki,

Right, thanks. I'm trying not to overthink it. I'm accepting that that's how the LSAT writers are situating the meaning of both rational and self-interest. Again, I'm grateful I'm encountering this issue PRIOR to test day! :ras: & your explanation about it was really helpful in putting the meanings into a greater context.

So, are you confirming yes to the second part of my original post, then ?? "That anything that the government recommends (whether it be an adoption of policy, etc.) would then then be acting in self-interest? assuming that the government is acting on behalf of the good of the people" ???

Thanks!
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Angel,

No, I'm afraid this is not what I said :) The author neither states nor implies that the government acts out of self-interest whenever they recommend something. Self-interest is inherent in the notion of rational actors: if the recommended course of action is considered "rational" from the government's point of view, then yes - I'd say that the motivations are, at least in part, selfish. However, it is not difficult to imagine a government proposing irrational solutions to certain problems. This discussion, however, is clearly beyond the scope of our argument.

Thanks!
 avengingangel
|
So, the method of reasoning here is in self-interest ONLY because the Adviser is claiming that this policy is rational (as a reason why it should be adopted) ?? And because inherent in rationality is the pursuit of self-interest?? THAT's why Free Speech is a self-interest concept (in this particular case) ??
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Yup, you got it! :) Good job!
 jwilliams124
|
Hi there,

I'm a little confused by one can say "the advisor does not focus on basic rights" (in regards to answer B) when he equates freedom of speech to a basic right. How would I know to not make that jump but that it is acceptable to make the jump to using the term "moral concept"?

Thanks!
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
jwilliams124 wrote:Hi there,

I'm a little confused by one can say "the advisor does not focus on basic rights" (in regards to answer B) when he equates freedom of speech to a basic right. How would I know to not make that jump but that it is acceptable to make the jump to using the term "moral concept"?

Thanks!

Hello jwilliams124,

The advisor does not focus hugely on basic rights, but does mention them some. So, without obsessing on basic rights alone (which might lead to answer B, a wrong answer), one can use common sense and think of basic rights as a "moral ideal", which plus the "rational self-interest" mentioned by Nikki and others, leads to answer C.

Hope this helps,
David
 yrivers
|
Dear PowerScore,

Per the messages posted above, can you clarify how B and C are different? If "basic right" can be seen as a "moral ideal" (noted above), aren't B and C virtually the same? I see this argument is flawed, but can't eliminate B with certainty. The stimulus notes that "it is also the only rational policy for this government to adopt" which I saw as "for its own sake" in answer B.

Please let me know; thanks!
 AthenaDalton
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi yrivers,

You are right that answer choice (B)'s reference to "basic rights of citizens" can be considered a moral ideal. However, answer choice (C), the correct answer, references both moral ideals and self-interest.

Here's how we can find both moral ideals and self-interest in the stimulus:

The Policy Adviser's argument in the stimulus starts out by saying "Freedom of speech is not only a basic human right," which is the moral ideal mentioned in answer choice (C).

The Policy Adviser then goes on to say that "[free speech] is the only rational policy for this government to adopt" because free speech leads to selection of the best ideas and the rejection of silly and/or dangerous ideas. This discussion about benefits is a form of self-interest -- the Policy Adviser is making the case that the best ideas will rise to the top and be acted on when free speech is allowed. This isn't just a moral ideal, it's also a practical benefit that the government can enjoy.

In light of the discussion of how free speech leads to the selection of the best ideas, answer choice (C) is a better answer than (B), which only discusses basic rights.

I hope this makes sense! Good luck studying.

Athena Dalton
 jessicamorehead
|
I don't see how B and C are different. Doesn't B, "advocating respect for basic rights of citizens for its own sake," say the same thing as C, "a coupling of moral ideals with self-interest?" Moral ideas = basic rights and own sake = self-interest. The own sake is referring to the government's sake, so how are they different?

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.