LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Flaw in the Reasoning. The correct answer choice is (E)

This Stimulus is a dialogue between Lenore and Victor. There is a standard LSAT bias in favor of females and against males that may or may not come into play here, but one should be cognizant of it at the outset. Lenore states that it is naïve to think that historical explanations can be objective because historians are always influenced by their national, political, and class loyalties. Victor on the other hand replies that because biases have been detected and their sources identified indicate that there are people who can maintain objectivity.

But is Victor’s conclusion correct? Does one have to be objective to identify biases or sources of bias? These are questions that should be asked when assessing the Stimulus.

The Question Stem asks “Victor’s response des not succeed as a rebuttal of Lenore’s argument because his response…” indicating that this is a Flaw in the Reasoning question type.

Answer Choice (A): This answer states that Victor’s response displays the same type of biased thinking that Lenore is speaking out against. This is incorrect since there does not appear to be any obvious bias in Victor’s reply. There might be some ignorance in his statement but apparent bias. Answer Choice (A) should be eliminated.

Answer Choice (B): This answer deals with the failure to address the special case of historians who deliberately distort evidence in order to promote their own political objectives. While Victor’s response fails to do this, that is not why it fails as a rebuttal to Lenore’s statement.

Answer Choice (C): This answer states that Victor’s argument fails as a rebuttal because it fails to provide examples of cases in which biased thinking has been detected and the source of that bias has been identified. It is not necessary to provide examples to rebut an argument, so do not be sidetracked into thinking this is a correct answer. While Victor fails to provide examples to rebut Lenore’s statement, that is not why his rebuttal fails. Answer Choice (C) should be eliminated.

Answer Choice (D) alleges that Victor’s rebuttal fails because it does not consider sources of bias in historical explanation other than those that are due to national, political, and class loyalties. On first reading, this answer choice is attractive, so hold onto it as a contender.

Answer Choice (E): This is the correct answer choice. The answer states that Victor’s responses fails as a rebuttal because it overlooks the possibility that those who detect and identify bias are themselves biased in some way. While

With two contenders, we must examine both answer choices to determine which one is the better of the two choices. Answer Choice (D) discusses that Victor’s rebuttal does not consider biases other than those due to national, political, or class loyalties. While it is true that Victor’s reply does not do this, that does not mean his rebuttal fails. On the other hand, Victor contends that there are people who can maintain objectivity because biases and sources thereof are identified. This does fail to take into account that those who identify biases and their sources may in fact have some bias themselves. Thus Victor’s conclusion is not correct. Answer Choice (E) is the correct answer choice.
 asteroid
|
The correct answer is E which indicate that " those who detect bias are themselves biased in some way", which sounds like "attack the character instead of reansoning " to me.
I picked B at first. Got very confused with this one.
Anyone can help?
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
On that one, Lenore asserts that it would be naive to believe that history can be explained objectively, because historians are always subject to some sort of outside influence.
How does Victor respond? The fact that bias has been pointed out proves that the finger pointer is unbiased.

So, what is the problem with Victor's response? He doesn't consider the possibility that even the finger pointer is biased.

Let me know whether that clears this one up--thanks!

~Steve
 asteroid
|
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply. It helps a lot.

BTW, do you think it's reasonable to say that LRs from older PTs are more difficult than recent ones?
I can usually see the logic and how I got it wrong for recent LRs, the older ones always confused me.
I am taking the full length course with PowerScore now (Lesson 1 tonight). Will the older PTs be addressed in class?

-Asterd
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi,

Thanks for your response. Regarding old LR questions, the difficulty level is of course subjective, but regardless it certainly can't hurt to review them. Your course provides access to all LSAC questions that can be licensed, but you'll be focussing on test questions that are much more recent than the ones you've been reviewing.
 andriana.caban
|
Hi!

Does anyone know if this is a specific type of Flaw that one would be able to identify? I keep looking in the LR Bible but can't find the type.
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Andriana,

I'd classify this as an unwarranted assumption. Victor assumes, without support, that if you can identify biases that you are objective. There's no support for the idea that just because you can identify some biases you can identify all biases, or just because you can identify some biases that you bring none with you as well.

Not all flaw questions have a clear category to them. There are so many different ways that an argument can go wrong. Knowing the different flaws and how they are described on the test is a good first step, but you need to be open to other flaws as well. Think of the flaws described in the book just like your list of conditional reasoning indicators. It's not exhaustive; it's a starting point.

Hope that helps
Rachael
 bbuster1234
|
Hi,

I don't understand why B is not a good answer. I can definitely see the reasoning of E, but when choosing between the two what makes it such that E is better? I feel like it can be argued that Victor generalizes that other people can be objective as a way to reject Lenore's case about a specific subset of people-- historians. The fact that his rebuttal doesn't address that makes it a weaker point. Again, I can see why the criticizers themselves can be biased themselves, but I don't know why that line of reasoning makes it a stronger choice than B. Can anyone clear this up? Thanks!
 Ryan Twomey
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Bbuster,

So first, Victor is saying some historians are not biased and can maintain objectivity. We can translate that statement to mean: at least one historian is not biased and can maintain objectivity.

Why does he think that? His premise is that this non-biased historian can point out and detect other people's biases.

So your pre-phrase should be: Victor's argument is flawed because the argument incorrectly assumes that if you are able to point out other people's bias, then you yourself are not biased.

So answer choice B is irrelevant. All Victor is saying is that there is at least one historian who is not biased. Bringing up more biased historians is not the reason why his argument was flawed.

Answer choice E perfectly matches our pre-phrase. The people who point out bias could also be biased.

To sum it all up: I don't think you focused on the word "some" enough in Victor's argument and I don't think you identified the assumption of his argument before going to the answer choices. You want to make sure to spend time correctly identifying the gap in the argument in a flaw question before going to the stimulus.

I hope this helps and I wish you all of the luck in your studies.

Best,
Ryan

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.