LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Please post your questions below! Thanks!
 akanshalsat
|
LRTT 15 (Paradox) Q 15

Hello! Not sure I understood the stimulus well, which is why I chose D instead of E, what does the age/life span of a beetle of to do with why there was a discrepancy between the post glacial dating between pollen and insects?
 nicholaspavic
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi akansha,

This is a Resolve the Paradox (Except) question stem meaning that the 4 wrong will successfully Resolve the Paradox while the correct answer choice will not resolve it.

Here Answer Choice (E) does nothing at all to resolve the discrepancy in the insect record's inconsistency with the pollen record. In other words, it only addresses the Beetles and in light of the broad scope of stimulus' claims about "insects" who cares about only one small group of insects? That's why it is the right answer choice.

But in looking at answer option (D), that could correctly explain the causation behind the apparent gap in the pollen record. In other words, plants don't spread as fast as the bugs so the uneven growth does not leave behind a pollen record.

Thanks for the great question and I hope this helped!
 sdb606
|
nicholaspavic wrote: Here Answer Choice (E) does nothing at all to resolve the discrepancy in the insect record's inconsistency with the pollen record. In other words, it only addresses the Beetles and in light of the broad scope of stimulus' claims about "insects" who cares about only one small group of insects? That's why it is the right answer choice.
But I think it does explain the discrepancy because it introduces the idea that the reason plants took so long to populate an area after a glacier left is because they simply hadn't evolved into being yet. It supports the idea that warm climate developed shortly after the glacier left and it's not reflected in the pollen fossil record because pollen was not around back then.

It's not a slam dunk but it still would help to explain the discrepancy which should be enough to make it correct. What's wrong with this reasoning?
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi SDB,

If you don't mind me saying, I think you are taking the wrong perspective here in your explanation. You mention that, "I think it does explain the discrepancy because..." I often say that what any of us think about answers being right or wrong is irrelevant, since the only opinion that matters is LSAC's. In other words, your opinion as the arbiter here isn't the right angle to take when assessing answers, and instead the angle to consider is: "Why does LSAC think this is wrong?" I suspect that what they would say here is that the age of a species isn't relevant to the issue, and that there's no way to make the assessment about evolution in that interim period without calling in a host of assumptions that are far too tenuous here given that they were already talking about plant records being in existence around this Ice Age glacier area, and this is even further supported since (E) says "many" plants, not all.

But, whether you agree with their position isn't actually important; you just have to learn to understand how they think because that is what produces the highest scores. Since they are judge, jury, and executioner here, only their view matters. I even wrote a blog about this idea as well: You Can’t Argue with the LSAT.

Thanks!
 mayank_vaishya
|
How is option C incorrect ? how is option C explaining the discrepancy. Upon reading option C should I be thinking in real-time various reasons which could explain the discrepancy, such as- that beetles usually eat plants and since plants were no plants they scavenged and hence justify discrepancy? Wouldn't it take too much time? Do you suggest a more platonic (so to say) approach ?
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
mayank,

Answer choice (C) gives a reason why beetles may have been able to survive sooner after the melting of the glacier than plants. Really, answer choice (C) and answer choice (B) are extremely similar ideas, so your recognition that answer choice (B) resolved will feed into your recognition that answer choice (C) does as well.

I don't think we should make any assumptions about beetles eating plants, and no such assumption is necessary here to explain why answer choice (C) works to resolve.

Robert Carroll
 mab9178
|
Hi

Would an expert please: first, identify what the discrepancy is (although it seems simple in that the records offer conflicting findings inso far as the when the warmer climate began, each of four incorrect answer-choices that resolve the contradiction in the records seem to have different set of assumption for this conflict); second, interpret each of the four answers in the context of the stimulus; and third, please take another shot as to why E does not resolve the discrepancy (the explanations are somewhat too divorced from the context of the stimulus; they are too abstract too soon; please link to the substance of the stimulus)?

Thank You
Mazen
 mab9178
|
I'm sorry I meant the one explanation for E is a bit too general: "In other words, it only addresses the Beetles and in light of the broad scope of stimulus' claims about "insects" who cares about only one small group of insects? That's why it is the right answer choice," by nicholaspavic.

My confusion regarding the explanation, quoted above, stems from the following: first, the stimulus does address the "beetles," not "insects," so E addressing only beetles as opposed to insects cannot be the reason for elimination, because it adheres to the boundaries of the stimulus; and second, like E, answer-choices A and C address only beetles, yet they do resolve the discrepancy.

In retrospect, per my previous post, this is why I feel that I am missing another layer of explanation before I can understand nicholaspavic's explanation, hence my comment "too abstract, too soon."

Your help is much appreciated!

Thank you
Mazen
 mab9178
|
Hi,

So after posting my thoughts and struggles, for some reason, I always feel that I should go back and do more before I have someone else do the heavy-lifting for me, and I think that I figured it out; here is my analysis.

With respect to the paradox/ discrepancy, in that one glacier area we have two records from the beetles fossils and from the pollen fossils suggesting contradicting accounts of when the warmer climate began, hence the discrepancy: when on the one hand, the insect (beetles) record suggest that the warmer climate began immediately after the melting of the glacier; on the other hand, the pollen record suggest that the warm climate did not begin until long after.

In retrospect, the paradox is simple, contrary to what I thought. Also contrary to what I thought, the answer-choices do not have different sets of assumptions as to how they resolve the paradox; they each solve the same paradox in the context of the stimulus; but they come at it from different angles, or in it result in different outcomes sometimes in favor of the beetles fossils records as in answer-choice D and B, and others in favor of the pollen records as in A and C.

Here we go:

As to answer A, we were looking at cold-beetles fossils but we thought we were looking at the warm ones; and cold-weather beetles by definition survive colder climates, which mean that the warmer climate had not begun; and as a consequent of this confusion, we erroneously inferred that the warmer climate began immediately after the melting of the glacier.

Stated differently, we confused the warm-weather beetles for the cold ones; or we substituted the warm-weather beetles for the cold ones.

In the case of A, the pollen records are the more likely accurate ones, because the beetles fossils records were for the wrong beetles, the cold-weather ones, not the warm-weather ones.

Answer-choice B, to my mind was the easiest to eliminate, if the warm-weather plants cannot establish themselves as quickly as can beetles in new environments, which in the context of the stimulus is the post-glacier in the "one area," then it would stand to reason that the plants fossils would be younger than the beetles fossils, or the beetles fossils older records; hence "the long after" corresponding to the pollen records, and "the immediately after" corresponding to the beetles. Simply put, the beetles showed up before the plants, hence their earlier fossils.

Clearly if it takes longer for the plants to establish themselves, it must the follow that the beetles records are accurate and the warmer climate began immediately after the melting of the glacier!

C is similar to be in that it suggests an implicit contrasts between the beetles existing before the plants, hence the discrepancy in the records. I think this is what the explanation earlier, by nicholaspavic, meant in terms of C dealing with both the beetles and the plants, as opposed to only the insects! Answer-choice B explicitly contrasts the beetles with the plants, whereas C implicitly does; C is implicit in that it does not explicitly mention the plants being late or later than the beetles.

C, accordingly, suggests that the warmer climate was not immediate after the melting of the glacier, because the beetles can survive the glacier whereas the plants had to wait for the warmer climate.

As to D, I found it more similar to answer-choice A than to C, in that D suggests that the unevenness of the spread of the pollen might have mislead us to believe that the absence of the pollen fossils in that one area meant the absence of the return of the plants, when the reality is that the pollen did return but was not spread there as the result of the unevenness of the spread.

D leads to the converse of A in that the beetles fossils records might be the accurate one for the plants' fossils were misinterpreted by the disproportionate dissemination of the pollens.

Finally, E is the correct answer-choice because it concerns the birth and evolution of the species of the beetles. However, according to the stimulus, we know that both the beetles and the pollen "retuned after the Ice Age," and so (or "and therefore," thank you Adam Tyson for your previous post on the interpretation of "and so") the information as to when the beetles species came to being, or whether they did before the plants is irrelevant because we know per the stimulus from the phrase that "[they] retuned" that they both had existed before the Ice Age.

So, as to E, not only does it not resolve the paradox, but it does not even deepen it, it is irrelevant to it!

Okay, now nicholaspavic's explanation makes perfect sense.

Please, PowerScore experts, correct me if I am wrong.

I appreciate you!
Mazen

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.