LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Parallel Reasoning—SN. The correct answer choice is (C)

In this stimulus, the author provides the following, valid conditional reasoning:

Because his appearances have led to violence, a certain speaker is prohibited from speaking about politics on campus, and any limitation on free speech, according to the author, threatens everyone's right to expression:
  • Violent past ..... :arrow: ..... Specific speech prohibited ..... :arrow: ..... limits on rts ..... :arrow: ..... threatens rts of
    ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... all
In the answer choice which parallels this argumentation, we will most likely see a conditional relationship that ties treatment of one to ramifications for all.

Answer choice (A): This answer choice debates the heroism of a particular surgery, but lacks the single treatment leader to broader ramifications for all, so this answer choice is incorrect.

Answer choice (B): This answer choice links the treatment of particular types of behavior (heroism, self interest), but fails to introduce particular treatment in a single case and the broader ramifications, so this answer choice cannot be correct.

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer choice. As predicted in our discussion above, this answer choice, although generally more optimistic than the argument found in the stimulus, nonetheless links treatment of one to more general effects for all, thereby paralleling the reasoning in the stimulus:
  • rescue ..... :arrow: ..... jump into river ..... :arrow: ..... act of heroism ..... :arrow: ..... enrich lives of all
Answer choice (D): This answer choice reflects valid logical reasoning, but again fails to reflect the notion of treatment of one and that treatment's more general ripple effects.

Answer choice (E): Like all of the other incorrect answer choices above, this choice fails to parallel the general notion reflected in the stimulus—that an individual case can have effects on everyone.
 cgleeson
|
Hi,

I missed this question, I had chosen D. While reviewing why I got this wrong I saw something that made sense to me with answer choice C.
Violence :arrow: Prevented from Talking :arrow: Threat Everybody's Right to Speech :arrow: Dean Threats Everyone's Right to Speech

In answer choice C the second sentence makes a general statement to "enriching everybodys life" :arrow: Isabel enriches everybodys life

What caught my eye in my review was the statements in both choices where "everybody was effected" by an action then someone (Dean, Isabel, Louie) caused or causing that action

My question is this common with parallel reasoning questions? The last part of the answer choice really stuck out as the right answer, now my head is spinning because I'm not sure how I missed it :-?
I tried putting the stimulus in my own words however, I obviously missed something the first time around.
Any advice on how to avoid this appreciated,
Chris 8-)
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Chris,

The key difference between answer choices (C) and (D) was the concept of action by one person impacting everyone. In answer choice (D) we see a general rule, with general people acting. Answer choice (C) matched the stimulus, where we saw an action by an individual (the Dean/Isabella) impacting all (right to expression/enriched lives of all).

Parallel reasoning answers need to match the reasoning of the stimulus. One of the strategies I use in these is a sort of checklist like system. I'll mentally think through what aspects of the stimulus were relevant to the reasoning. If there's conditional reasoning, obviously I'll look for that. But sometimes, like this one, there are additional patterns that stand out to me that I want to look for. In this case, it was the idea of a single person acting that has a universal impact.

Hope that helps!
 cgleeson
|
Yes, Rachael this makes sense. Thank you kindly
Rachael Wilkenfeld wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:32 pm Hi Chris,

The key difference between answer choices (C) and (D) was the concept of action by one person impacting everyone. In answer choice (D) we see a general rule, with general people acting. Answer choice (C) matched the stimulus, where we saw an action by an individual (the Dean/Isabella) impacting all (right to expression/enriched lives of all).

Parallel reasoning answers need to match the reasoning of the stimulus. One of the strategies I use in these is a sort of checklist like system. I'll mentally think through what aspects of the stimulus were relevant to the reasoning. If there's conditional reasoning, obviously I'll look for that. But sometimes, like this one, there are additional patterns that stand out to me that I want to look for. In this case, it was the idea of a single person acting that has a universal impact.

Hope that helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.