LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

OneSeventy2019
|
Powerscore,

I ended up selecting answer choice A but was debating between choice A and choice D. Here is my interpretation of the two choices:

A) There has been an incentive for art dealers to mistakenly identify unattributed works to famous artists; we ought to be wary about having an 'innocent until proven guilty' type of attitude when it comes to paintings with questionable origins.

D) Attribution effects how one views a work of art - the same inconsistency could be a stroke of genius (Leonardo DaVinci) or the mistake of an amateur (unknown artist). My question, is that wouldn't this also create an incentive for people to attribute works to masters instead of amateurs in the same way as choice A does?

The reason why I ended up choosing A rather than D was that with choice D we have to assume that the perception of the strokes of a genius would make it more valuable and potentially also that an individual would have the means and opportunity to operate based on this incentive. Am I along the right track in that choice D requires an additional assumption or is there something else, I'm glossing over? Thanks!
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I think your analysis is good here, OneSeventy2019, but there may be a simpler may to approach this question and the difference between these two answers, and that is to think of it in causal terms.

The author has said that prior attribution should be given special weight. We want to find an answer that weakens that claim, so look for one that shows a cause for prior attributions to be inaccurate. A motive might do it, or a procedural error, or some confusion on the part of the person who first said "this painting must have been done by so-and-so."

Answer A gives us a potential cause: some people who have attributed certain unsigned paintings to famous artists have been motivated by greed. They could be outright lying just to make more money.

Answer D doesn't give us a cause for an incorrect attribution, but rather an effect of that attribution! Once a painting has been attributed to a known master, it affects how we see and appreciate it, and the same happens when it has been attributed to a minor artist. That's what makes D a worse answer than A: A is about the cause of the attribution, and D is about the effect of that attribution. We need a cause, not an effect!
 Esquire123
|
I’m still struggling to understand why D is incorrect. I genuinely think it connects to the topic being discussed.The conclusion is that we should give special weights to traditional attributions. Answer choice D describes a scenario in which giving attribution leads to people not truly valuing an art piece on its own merit but instead focusing on the name of the artist to decide whether or not the art piece is worth one’s time. To me, this seems to highlight a flaw in regards to attributing special weight to traditional attributions. I read a comment that D is wrong because it doesn’t specify “traditional attributions.” Traditional attributions are an extension of attributions so I don’t see how that would make this answer wrong. I would greatly appreciate some #help because I’m definitely spiraling hahah

Why is this answer choice considered irrelevant to the conclusion? I clearly misunderstood the stimulus but I’m not sure what part
 srusty
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Esquire123 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:21 pm I’m still struggling to understand why D is incorrect. I genuinely think it connects to the topic being discussed.The conclusion is that we should give special weights to traditional attributions. Answer choice D describes a scenario in which giving attribution leads to people not truly valuing an art piece on its own merit but instead focusing on the name of the artist to decide whether or not the art piece is worth one’s time. To me, this seems to highlight a flaw in regards to attributing special weight to traditional attributions. I read a comment that D is wrong because it doesn’t specify “traditional attributions.” Traditional attributions are an extension of attributions so I don’t see how that would make this answer wrong. I would greatly appreciate some #help because I’m definitely spiraling hahah

Why is this answer choice considered irrelevant to the conclusion? I clearly misunderstood the stimulus but I’m not sure what part
Hi Esquire,

Completely understand, answer choice (D) is a tricky one to parse! The main problem with answer choice (D) is that it focuses more on the perception of an art work because of attribution - not that the attribution itself brings special weight. The stimulus specifies that the "special weight" afforded by attribution is because of the presumption of historical continuity - not necessarily because of an art work being perceived better or worse artistically.

Let me know if that helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.