LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Assumption. The correct answer choice is (A).

This is a cleverly constructed stimulus because at first glance it may sound reasonable, but when you look inside the logic you realize there is a flaw present.

The Citizen begins by complaining about the city council, and notes the majority of incumbents are running for reelection. The citizen's plan is to campaign against all the incumbents, with the exception of the incumbent from their own neighborhood. Now the funny part: the Citizen then claims that if everyone uses that same strategy, the membership of the council will be changed substantially. But, is that the case?

Consider for a moment what will occur if everyone follows the Citizen's advice: each citizen will ultimately vote for the incumbent representing their neighborhood. If that happens, what's the effect on the incumbents? That's right, each would get reelected because their neighborhoods would be voting for them, despite the campaigns against them from citizens not of their neighborhood. In other words, if everyone follows the Citizen's advice, not much will change.

The question stem is an unusually phrased one, and is actually looking for an assumption of the argument when it's the case that the membership is changed substantially. In conditional form, the stem appears as:

..... ..... Membership changed substantially :arrow: Correct answer

Since the correct answer is a necessary condition, this is an Assumption question.

Taking this further, you can predict and prephrase the correct answer. In this case, it's clear that if everyone follows the citizen's advice, very little will change. So, it must be the case that some of the other voters do not follow the Citizen's advice. And that is exactly what answer choice (A) is saying.

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice. This answer has been written to confuse, so you need to rephrase it in order to understand the meaning. In essence, this means "some other voters don't do the same thing as the Citizen" or "some other voters act differently than the Citizen." This is exactly what we are looking for, and this is the correct answer.

Answer choice (B): This is not something that a different outcome relies upon. whether or not most voters vote isn't critical, rather, it's how the voters vote that makes a difference. For example, you could have a minority of voters vote, and as long as some don't follow the Citizen there could still be substantial change.

Answer choice (C): This is not a relevant issue to making changes to the council. Even if few have run previously, and re-running now would be incumbents.

Answer choice (D): The problem with this answer is "all." The argument does not rely on everyone on the council being an incumbent; if some are not, that doesn't affect the advice and outcome here.

Answer choice (E): This is a red herring issue, designed to distract (in fact, the both the issues of "ruinous effect on municipal finances" and "she has the experience necessary to ensure that our neighborhood's interests are served" are distractors to the main story here). the experience or worthiness of the challengers is not key; following the Citizen's advice (or not) is the real issue.
 reop6780
|
Is "excseption" in answer A referring to the author's implication that he will vote for a candidate even though he is one of the incumbents if he represents the author's neighborhood?

Hence, answer A defends a situation where everone votes for an incumbent who represents their neighborhood leading to no substantial change in the council's membership?

However, isn't "following my example" implying that voters should vote for someone with their neighborhood?

I selected the correct answer A but was unsure of it especially in regard to "exception."
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
reop6780 wrote:Is "excseption" in answer A referring to the author's implication that he will vote for a candidate even though he is one of the incumbents if he represents the author's neighborhood?

Hence, answer A defends a situation where everone votes for an incumbent who represents their neighborhood leading to no substantial change in the council's membership?

However, isn't "following my example" implying that voters should vote for someone with their neighborhood?

I selected the correct answer A but was unsure of it especially in regard to "exception."
Hello,

Yes, answer A seems to mean that, ironically, everyone votes for their local incumbent.
"Follow my example" is ambiguous and ironic; does the citizen mean follow the example of campaigning against most incumbents, or also, following the example of voting for the local incumbent? Maybe the citizen is not really thinking here...

David
 reop6780
|
Thank you for replying regardless of errors in spelling that I made - I assume it must have been annoying for you to read.

(I use my cell phone most of the time to ask questions, and such a small screen makes me miss some words :roll: )
 PositiveThinker
|
If someone would be so kind to explain the stimulus to me it would be very helpful. Im just not very clear on what it is saying. I understand this is a must be true question but I've read the stimulus over and over and i just cannot parse out the grammar very well.
 AthenaDalton
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
PositiveThinker wrote:If someone would be so kind to explain the stimulus to me it would be very helpful. Im just not very clear on what it is saying. I understand this is a must be true question but I've read the stimulus over and over and i just cannot parse out the grammar very well.
This is actually an assumption question, albeit a well-disguised one. What you're looking for is, what assumption is underlying this letter-writers' statement that everyone should (1) follow his example and still (2) vote out the incumbents.

The letter-writer is assuming that the exception he is making (by voting for the incumbent in his district) is not an exception everyone else is making. For his argument to make any sense ("follow my example . . . and vote out the incumbent city council"), he is assuming that not everyone will vote for their own incumbent city councilman. If that were the case, all the incumbents would win.

I hope this clarifies things -- good luck!

-Athena Dalton
 PositiveThinker
|
It helps a lot. I was confusing the difference between Mooresville and neighborhoods. I couldn't separate the two. Now I see there neighborhoods are sub divisions of Mooresville.

thank you!
 cgleeson
|
Hi,

I am still confused as to what answer choice A is saying. I was holding onto A and B. B because I thought the more people voting the better chance of changing the city council. A I didn't rightly understand and what I have found on my LSAT journey is that when I don't know what the answer choice means, I must try to break it down into pieces and then decipher as I go along.....A still doesn't make sense....but I'm not too happy with B either.
I notice for me lately, I am having a problem pulling the trigger on an answer choice.

Any ideas?
Chris 8-)
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
cgleeson wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:10 pm Hi,

I am still confused as to what answer choice A is saying. I was holding onto A and B. B because I thought the more people voting the better chance of changing the city council. A I didn't rightly understand and what I have found on my LSAT journey is that when I don't know what the answer choice means, I must try to break it down into pieces and then decipher as I go along.....A still doesn't make sense....but I'm not too happy with B either.
I notice for me lately, I am having a problem pulling the trigger on an answer choice.

Any ideas?
Chris 8-)

Hi Chris, I've posted a broader explanation of this question at the top of the thread...thanks!
 cgleeson
|
Dave,
Thank you so much....It just clicked!!!! OMG, that makes so much sense now. Nothing for nothing but these testmakers are tricky huh? LOL :lol:
Dave Killoran wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:24 pm
cgleeson wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:10 pm Hi,

Any ideas?
Chris 8-)

Hi Chris, I've posted a broader explanation of this question at the top of the thread...thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.