LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

MountainGirl234
|
Hi there,

I was between D and E, and I also chose D based on what I felt was exaggerated language in E. However, I now understand that "allow for" lessens the force of the word "best."

However, the more I think about D and why it's incorrect, my thoughts become twisted, and I get more confused.

Is this a correct translation for D? Stabilizers are not needed as much at lower temperatures, but they are needed at higher temperatures, meaning they function well at higher temperatures because they're not necessarily needed at lower temperatures?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I think you are conflating two different concepts here, MountainGirl234: whether something is needed, and whether that thing works well.

To illustrate, consider this scenario: I own a very powerful magnifying glass. It works very well. But I have perfect eyesight and have no need to ever use it.

Or this one: my father owns a precision timepiece, a wristwatch that has told time perfectly for decades without losing so much as a second. It functions perfectly well. But he has clocks in every room and carries a smartphone in his pocket, so he never needs his fancy watch.

The fact that stabilizers are less needed at lower temperatures does not mean that they don't work well at those temperatures. They might work perfectly at every temperature, but we still may only need them when temperatures are higher.
 anureet
|
I have two questions regarding this question:

Firstly for option A: Even though slight deviations in consistency do not impair the flavor of the ice cream directly. But as the second sentence states that contactors use stabilizers to counteract this problem which further affects the flavor. Can't we make that linking assumption that deviations in consistency mean the use of stabilizers hence the favor is impaired.

For option E: Very low and stable temperatures do allow for the best possible consistency. However, isn't it out of scope to think that it will also allow for the best flavor possible? Yes, stabilizers won't be used but what if the ice cream just has bad flavor in general.
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Anureet,

A few things on answer choice (A). First, we don't know that ice cream makers wouldn't prefer a change in consistency to a change in taste. That is, we have no reason to think that they'd bother to stabilize for a small change in consistency. But even more, we don't know that the amount of stabilizer used for a small change in consistency would lead to a "sharp" impairment of flavor. That's stronger than we have the language to support from the stimulus.

You should read answer choice (E) as saying that it allows for the best flavor possible for that ice cream. It's not comparing different ice creams to each other. It's saying for any ice cream, you have the best outcome if you store in very low temperatures without stabilizers.

Here's an example of why you read (E) that way. I just got some awesome temporary tattoos for football season. I'm a Brown's fan, but I'm not quite ready to commit to an actual tattoo of that, so temporary decorations it is. And, because I'm also a lawyer, I read the directions and warnings on everything, including my pack of temporary tattoos. The pack said something like "for best results, apply directly to skin that is clean and clear of lotions or other products that would go between the skin and the tattoo."

What does that statement mean? Does it mean that if I put it on clear, lotion free skin I'll have better results than someone that can put on tattoos without picking at them after only a few minutes? Of course not. It's saying that by putting it on lotion free, clear skin, I'm going to have better results than I would have had putting it on lotiony skin. It isn't comparing my tattoo to anyone else's tattoo. Just different circumstances and choices I could make regarding THIS tattoo.

Similarly, with the ice cream, it isn't saying that your results will have better ice cream than all other ice creams. It's just saying that by using low temps and no stabilizers, you'll have better results with this specific ice cream than you would have if you used higher temps and lots of stabilizers.

Hope that helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.