LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Method of Reasoning. The correct answer choice is (C)

Whenever you have a method of reasoning question that utilizes any type of technique that jumps out at you, it is important to key in on that technique. The most common technique that falls within this concept is the use of analogy. Whenever you come across an analogy in the stimulus, followed by a method of reasoning question, there is a good chance that the answer will focus on that analogy.

Answer Choice (A): While the argument is definitely not in favor of shifting costs onto the patient, that concept comes across mainly an afterthought to the overall problems with the system. Remember, method of reasoning questions should be approached just like a must be true question, and here there is nothing going on in the stimulus to support this answer choice as the method of reasoning.

Answer Choice (B): No fraudulent intent is attributed to anybody in the stimulus. The stimulus author is attacking the system. At no point does the argument go after any group of people as having fraudulent intent.

Answer Choice (C): This is the correct answer choice.
The analogy used is that of the balloon which, when pushed in one area, bulges out somewhere else. This analogy supports the overall argument that the current system, while seeming to cut costs in certain areas, really just ends up putting them somewhere else.

Answer Choice (D): At no point does the stimulus disparage any possible alternatives. The stimulus is attacking the current system and the current system only. While not coming right out and saying it, the argument seems to imply that a more comprehensive approach to the system may solve many problems.

Answer Choice (E): While an "instance" is cited within the stimulus, it is cited to demonstrate the flaws of the current system, not to show the feasibility of a possible solution to that current system.
 allisonellen7
|
[copyrighted material removed]

Why is C correct?? I put A. I don't understand how this is an analogy when the entire passage is talking about cutting health care costs??
 Ron Gore
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Allison,

Welcome to the forum! You'll notice that I edited your question to remove the copyrighted material. We are not permitted to include the entire stimulus and answer choices in our posts. Thanks!

As to your question, the analogy is that of the "pliable spending balloon." A piecemeal approach in which spending is cut in discrete areas won't work because the expense will just shift to another area of the budget, like squeezing one part of a balloon will push the air to another part of the balloon.

Let me know if I can help further.

Thanks!

Ron
 allisonellen7
|
Great! Sorry about that and thanks so much for your help!
 biskam
|
I would like to make sure I have the proper definition of an analogy... is it simply when you compare two ideas to each other?

thanks!
 James Finch
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Biksam,

An analogy (for LSAT purposes) is the usage of a relationship between two things to explain the relationship between two other things. Normally, but not always, the two sets of things are unrelated.

For example:

Rock is a genre of music, just like crime dramas are a genre of TV shows.

Hope this clears things up!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.