LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Must Be True. The correct answer choice is (B)

The stimulus in this Must Be True question begins by providing some background about the causes of serious accidents in nuclear power plants. We are told that to date serious accidents have not been caused by flaws related to the advanced technology in the plants, but rather these accidents have been the result of human errors, such as a worker starting a fire and a plumbing incident. The final sentence, however, is less straightforward. It states that “such everyday events” (meaning human errors like the ones mentioned) “cannot be thought unlikely” to continue occurring. The double-negative language of “cannot” and “unlikely” essentially results in a positive statement: human errors are likely to occur over the long run. This unusual phrasing is not arbitrarily chosen by the test makers; they frequently use intentionally confusing language in an attempt to confound unsuspecting test takers, so it is important to read closely and pay particular attention to any strange expressions you encounter on the LSAT.

Another important point to consider in this stimulus is the idea of scope. Scope on the LSAT is defined as the strength of the language/verbiage used by an author, where strong, absolute language (“always,” “never,” “must,” “cannot,” etc.) implies a narrow scope (the author severely limits the information presented due to the inherent restrictions of absolute statements), while language dealing merely with possibility or probability (“can,” “could,” “usually,” etc.) is considered to be broad scope (the information is much less restricted because these words allow for a greater range of possible events or outcomes). For this particular question, the language of the stimulus can be thought of as fairly broad scope: the author simply states that human errors are likely to occur in the future, a statement of probability as opposed to definitive certainty.

The significance of scope is particularly notable as you formulate a prephrase and begin to analyze the answer choices. For a Must Be True question such as this, an answer choice cannot exceed the certainty with which the author presents information in the stimulus. Since this stimulus is broad in scope and deals only with what is probable in the future, any answer choice that uses definitive language or makes an absolute statement about the future is too narrow in scope and can be dismissed. And of course, as is the case with any Must Be True question, any answer choice that introduces new information (information not addressed in the stimulus) is also incorrect.

A reasonable prephrase for this question takes into consideration the implications of the information given in the last sentence. Since we are essentially told that human errors are likely to continue occurring in the future, and since human errors have been the primary initial cause of serious accidents in the past at nuclear power plants, it seems logical to conclude that another serious accident is also likely to occur.

Answer choice (A): Evaluating this answer choice critically, we encounter a statement of fact at the very outset that seems questionable: nuclear power has become a part of everyday life. Is this something that can be known with certainty from the information in the stimulus? It seems to be new, and thus unfounded, information. Further, as we continue reading we are told that serious accidents can be expected to occur at an “ever increasing” rate. The idea of serious accidents increasing in frequency is in no way supported by the stimulus and thus answer choice (A) can be eliminated.

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice. First, it begins with a hypothetical statement about if nuclear power plants continue in operation. Note how broad in scope, and thus desirable following a broad stimulus, that consideration is: this answer does not state that power plants will continue to operate, but simply ponders the notion of what would happen if they continue to be used. And, as our prephrase suggested the correct answer would, this answer concludes by suggesting that a serious accident is “not improbable.” Just as we encountered in the final sentence of the stimulus, the phrase “not improbable” is a double-negative meaning, simply, “probable.” Hence answer choice (B) is essentially saying that if nuclear power plants continue in operation, and thus more human errors are likely (from the stimulus), then a serious accident is also likely.

While you will not always encounter such a clear repetition of deliberately unusual language, the underlying meaning of the answer choice is extremely predictable based on our understanding of scope and our powerful prephrase.

Answer choice (C): This answer choice discusses how one cannot reduce the likelihood of human errors at power plant operating consoles by adjusting the design of “dials, switches, and displays.” Since at no point in the stimulus are we ever given information concerning ways in which one could reduce the likelihood of human error (particularly with respect to the design of certain console elements), this answer choice cannot be correct.

Answer choice (D): The stimulus does not contain any information regarding the way in which nuclear power plants are designed or constructed, so this answer choice cannot be correct. Be careful not to confuse what seems like a logical and valid “truth” in the real world with “truth” on the LSAT. That is, while we would hope that nuclear power plants are indeed designed to compensate for any possible failures in the building materials, we cannot accept this as true based solely on the information in this stimulus.

Answer choice (E): Obviously this answer choice is based on the fact that to date no serious accidents have been caused by the advanced technology portion of nuclear power plants, however that is not evidence that no serious accident will ever be caused by advanced technology. In fact, it would always be impossible to make such a definitive prediction about future events, regardless of what has occurred in the past.
 adlindsey
|
I see why B would be right. However, I had this question between B & C. Both of these answers look equally right to me, and under testing conditions, I wouldn't know which one to go with. On the course video, the instructor said the "dial, switches, and displays," is a stretch from what's in the stimulus; I disagree. Yes, they're not mentioned in the stimulus, but these things fall under the umbrella of the term "advanced technology," and the concept under discussion of nuclear power.

I don't know why these new terms can't fall under this umbrella, yet, on question 8 (pg. 1-15), it's perfectly ok to bring in "new info" on the right answer D, with "taking a warm bath." I see why D is correct, I just don't see what the difference is between the two questions and answer choices, yet one is correct and the other isn't.

The explanation on this page states, "Since at no point in the stimulus are we ever given information concerning ways in which one could reduce the likelihood of human error". While that may be correct, I see answer C correct since it can be deduced from the sum of statements in the stimulus: The 2nd sentence states, the initial causes of serious accidents have been attributed to "human error." Thus, this human error can't be lessened by thoughtful designs etc.; therefore, these accidents haven't been flaws in advanced technology. And from the last sentence in the stimulus, "Such everyday events can be thought likely to occur..." Therefore, "The likelihood of human error...cannot be lessened by thoughtful design of" etc. Why? Because it's not flaws in this technology.
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi A,

Let's take a look at the points you raise here, and then talk about some broader implications for the way you are approaching the LSAT. Hopefully both aspects of the discussion will help you as you move forward!

First, we are going to have to agree to disagree that "dials, switches, and displays" and displays are automatically "advanced technology" (more on this later, however). Against the backdrop of nuclear technology, a dial wouldn't automatically be seen as advanced technology. But, that aside, let's say we granted your point that they do qualify as advanced technology. Would that then make (C) correct? No. And that is because even if it is the case, the chain of reasoning that you use to justify (C) is flawed and torturous. Let's take a look at what you said:
adlindsey wrote:I see answer C correct since it can be deduced from the sum of statements in the stimulus: The 2nd sentence states, the initial causes of serious accidents have been attributed to "human error." Thus, this human error can't be lessened by thoughtful designs etc.; therefore, these accidents haven't been flaws in advanced technology. And from the last sentence in the stimulus, "Such everyday events can be thought likely to occur..." Therefore, "The likelihood of human error...cannot be lessened by thoughtful design of" etc. Why? Because it's not flaws in this technology.
What has occurred here is that you have assumed a lot at each stage of this chain, and what you have assumed is not directly implied or under the umbrella of other information. For example, "the initial causes of serious accidents have been attributed to "human error." Thus, this human error can't be lessened by thoughtful designs" — Wait, what? Why is that the case? Just because human error has been the cause doesn't mean we couldn't make our designs a bit better. Of course, would improving the designs then automatically mean that every problem is solved? No, but we could easily have a situation where we improve things a little bit but still have everyday errors (because maybe people are just error-prone no matter if the design is a bit better). So right there your logic chain is dead.

Now, as you read the above, I suspect that you may be thinking to yourself that I'm wrong and that you still think you are right. And at this point we come to the most important part of this discussion: you aren't, and you have to immediately correct your view. As we deconstruct this problem, we work from a position where we all know that the test makers stated that (C) was incorrect. At that point, nothing else matters—THEY say it's wrong so it is in fact wrong forever. Your job then becomes to understand why they think it is wrong. And in our explanations we've shown different reasons why they are wrong. I understand that you may disagree, but we're just the messenger. And the message we bring is how they view these problems and how they think of them. It's their world, and as a student taking their test, you have to adjust to how they view the world. In this sense, your personal opinion (and mine, too) doesn't matter because you can't impose your view on the test. It's a losing proposition as far as getting answers right and wrong.

Now, I'm not trying to give you a hard time, and I know how difficult it can be to want to argue for your view. I also know how dangerous that can be, and so I wrote an article about it a while back: You Can't Argue With the LSAT. I strongly suggest you read that article and think about the implications for how you are studying, because you have to give up the fight to be right and instead focus on being better. We can certainly argue about the relative strengths and weaknesses of correct and incorrect answers, but when you fight their logic, it will cause you to miss multiple questions. If it helps, I'm not a person who really likes authority all that much, so someone telling me to just accept that this is the way things are would probably chafe me! On that count, I apologize. The only reason I bring this message to you is that I can see by the way you are arguing that you aren't simply looking to say that there's an alternate way to look at it, but to actively state that (C) is right and our view of it is wrong. Keep this in mind: the view "we" have is designed to align as closely with the test makers view as possible. So, it concerns me because it shows that you are fighting the logic of the test. I want you to do as well as possible, and one of the true keys to achieving that is to learn as much as possible about how they think. It can be tough, but it will pay off in the long run!

Last point: how should you look at (C)? When doing the question I'd solve it the best I could. But in the aftermath, when I know (C) is wrong, I'd break it down and try to figure out why the test makers think it is wrong. That's what matters, that you see their logic. And, from that perspective, the points we've made in our texts are spot on in explaining why they think this is a wrong answer.

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!
 adlindsey
|
Ok, I see what you mean by,
Why is that the case? Just because human error has been the cause doesn't mean we couldn't make our designs a bit better. Of course, would improving the designs then automatically mean that every problem is solved? No, but we could easily have a situation where we improve things a little bit but still have everyday errors (because maybe people are just error-prone no matter if the design is a bit better).
Thus, human errors could be lessened. This helps me better understand why the answer is wrong.

I actually watched the supplemental videos for Lesson 1, after posting, and you discuss the theme about not arguing with the LSAT. What would be the best order to do this course, as in the course work and the supplemental videos? Should I work through the course book first or watch the sup. videos first? Thank you for the break down.
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey A,

This is a great question! the advice I always give on this depends on your learning style:

• If you prefer to learn all the theory first, and then apply it: watch the concept Overview first, then do the Lesson. Do the remaining supplements after the lesson.

If you prefer to see things done hands-on first, and then figure out how it all connects together: do the Lesson first, and follow that up with the Concept Overview. Do the remaining supplements after the lesson.
Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.