LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Must be True. The correct answer choice is (E)

G claims there is a bias towards photographers in the Metropolitan Art Show because even though equal numbers of photographs, sculptors and painters submitted qualified pieces, there are more actual photographs displayed. H responds that bias is impossible since every work that met the criteria was exhibited.

Answer choice (A): We are only talking about those works that already passed the traditional criteria. We don’t know anything about the process before this.

Answer choice (B): There is not enough information in the stimulus to determine this. We only know about work that was submitted and passed the traditional criteria. It is possible that some works were eliminated for failure to meet the traditional criteria before G and H had this conversation.

Answer choice (C): Neither G nor H address the quality of the work, so this is incorrect.

Answer choice (D): The stimulus only discusses the subset of people who properly submitted their work. The question is not concerned with those photographs that may have been eliminated earlier in the process.

Answer choice (E): This is the correct answer choice. Although the number of photographers, sculptors, and painters was equally doesn’t necessarily mean they each submitted the same number of works. In fact, in order for G & H to both be correct, it must be true that the photographers actually submitted more photos than either sculptors submitted sculptures and painters submitted paintings.
 Mkendz
|
Just want to clarify if I'm on the right track for this question !
The correct answer choice is "E"
Is this because the stimulus states "Equal numbers of photographers, sculptors, and painters submitted works that met the traditional criteria for the show… ………(it then goes on to say in the last paragraph) "each artist was allowed to submit work in one medium only".

Answer choice E states " more works met the traditional criteria for the metropolitan art show were submitted by photographers than by sculptors or painters"

is this true because : The stimulus does not state that photographers cannot submit more than one piece, only that each piece can only be in one medium ?
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi,

That's a good question, and you've got the answer right as well. Based on the stimulus we know that equal numbers of each type of artist submitted pieces, that all those that met traditional criteria were accepted, and that there were more photographs at the show than other types of art. As such, as you point out, it must be that photographer submitted more pieces overall, and thus more pieces each, than the other kinds of artists.

I hope that's helpful--please let me know whether this is clear--thanks!

~Steve
 Echx73
|
TeamPowerScore,

I am going through the PowerScore LSAT LR Question Type Training Volume 1 book. I am only able to see an explanation for the answer selection, just which answer is correct. I know going through every answer would take way too much of your time, so I will just ask a few.

MBT Page 35 Q#49 The correct answer is E. I see issues with A, C and D. I am deciding between B or E and I see in the stimulus Sentence two should disqualify answer E because the stimulus information tells us equal numbers of work met the traditional criteria and E says there were more photography works. So I circled B. Where did I go wrong!

Sincerely, I thank you so much for your help!

Eric
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Eric,

The stimulus provides that equal numbers of photographers, sculptors, and painters submitted works that met the traditional criteria for the show, not that there is an equal number of photographs, sculptures, and paintings. The distinction is crucial! Maybe there were 2 photographers, 2 sculptors, and 2 painters who submitted works, but each photographer submitted 100 photographs, whereas the sculptors and painters each submitted 1 sculpture or painting. Then no wonder the museum exhibited more photographs than sculptures or paintings! :)

Again, close reading is key in MBT questions.

On a side note, you may want to revise the first paragraph of your posts:
I am going through the PowerScore LSAT LR Question Type Training Volume 1 book. I am only able to see an explanation for the answer selection, just which answer is correct. I know going through every answer would take way too much of your time, so I will just ask a few.
Unless I misinterpreted it, you probably mean to say that you are NOT able to see an explanation of the correct answer, which is why you're asking us about it :)

Thanks,
 whardy21
|
I chose B. The second sentence G says: Equal numbers of photographs, sculptors and painters submitted works that met traditional criteria for the show. H says: All submitted works that met traditional criteria and only those works were exhibited.. I inferred from those two statements answer choice B. Please give me more detail why B is wrong.

Secondly I do somewhat understand E. The stimulus states more photographs were exhibited than either sculptures or paintings. I believe you can infer that an answer choice must contain that more photographs were submitted. E then elaborates why more photographs were submitted.
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Whardy,

Let's start with G's statements. We know an equal number of painters, photographers, and sculptors submitted works for consideration, but there were more photographs displayed than paintings or sculptures. Artists could only submit in one medium. H says that all submitted works that met the criteria were displayed.

This means that the same number of artists submitted work of each type, but not the same number of works were submitted in each type. Let's take an example. There were 10 sculptors, painters, and photographers that submitted works that complied with the rules. We can't say how many works each submitted that complied with the criteria. Each photographer could have submitted 10 photographs for every painting and sculpture submitted. Maybe each photographer only submitted one. The important point is that we don't know. We can't make a determination on answer choice (B) because we don't have enough information about how many pieces were submitted, only about the proportion of each type of artists that submitted works.

Answer choice (E) does have to be true. It has to be true that more works were submitted by photographers that complied with the criteria if all the compliant works were displayed, and if there are more photographs that were displayed, that means more photographs had to have been submitted.

Hope that helps!
Rachael
 mab9178
|
Hi

H's supportive statement - "All submitted works that met the traditional criteria—and only those works—were..." - is a bi-conditional; correct?

Thank You
Mazen
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Exactly Mazen! All and only is an example of a biconditional. If it met the traditional criteria, then it was in the show. If it was in the show, then it met the traditional criteria. Excellent work!
 schocktherapy
|
Kind of off topic,

But will the LSAT ask us directly to define specific terms like necessary assumption for biconditional or contrapositives or or the transitive property of equality: A=B ; B=C; therefore A=C

Thank you so much for your time and consideration. What kind of got me thinking in this direction was the last person mentioning the bi-conditional. And also I think I've seen a LSAT practice question that directly asked me what a necessary assumption was..

Thankfully ;) :dbl:

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.