LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

mpoulson
|
Hello,

My question is about the last claim on Question 10. How do I know whether Subsidizes or HJ is the Necessary or Sufficient Condition? Thank you.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I'm going to turn this one around on you and ask how you would analyze it. Tell us more about your thought process. If HJ is sufficient, what is it sufficient for? If HJ is necessary, what is sufficient for it? Think about those two possibilities, debate them with yourself a bit, then come back and tell us what you came up with. Try a few different approaches, including paraphrasing the statement as a simpler "if-then" statement and see where that gets you.
 mpoulson
|
Adam,

Thank you. When I was reading the homework, I was unsure how to diagram the sentence. Nevertheless, now I think that ~Honest Journalism is the Necessary condition if the a newspaper is subsidized. I think this is the case because of the last claim "no one will subsidize honest journalism". So if this is the case then the statement should read "if a newspaper is subsidized then it cannot be honest journalism". Thus, taking the contrapositive of this leads to the fact that Honest Journalism is not subsidized and therefore must be a PM institution. Let me know if I am on the right track.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
You are all over it like cat hair on grandma's pantsuit, my friend! Nicely done. Notice, by the way, that it makes no difference whether you read that last claim as "If HJ --> Sub" or as "Sub --> HJ", because those two statements are contrapositives and are therefore logically equivalent.

Well done - keep up the good work!
 fg6118
|
Great question and explanation. I'd like to try out this LR question now. Where can I find this question?
 Stephanie Oswalt
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Dear fg6118,

The question "Criticism that the press panders to public sentiment neglects..." is #13 from the October 1993 LSAT (Prep Test #9) LR1 Section II. You can find that test in the 10 Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests publication here: https://shop.powerscore.com/?action=pro ... 00O2WRFIA3.

Thanks!

Stephanie
 fg6118
|
Thanks!
 mankariousc
|
Hello!
Initially when I was diagramming this question, I diagrammed the "making money to survive" as S --> MM and I also diagrammed "the only alternative is subsidy." How would I have known that these are not the focal point of the question? What is the best way to pick out the necessary information?
 Jonathan Evans
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi, Mankariousc,

This is a great example of clouding up conditionals with qualifying statements like "it's easy to do X" or "who would support it?" These statements interrupt your train of thought and analysis of the stimulus.

You have done a great job picking out the salient, important information here, but there is just one more step.

In fact, your observations are the focal point of the question, but there are a couple additional observations needed.

First, let's begin with your observation.

Survival :arrow: Making Money

Well, this is true in a particular case, to wit for Profit Making Institutions.

By definition, a Profit Making Institution Makes Money:

PMI :arrow: MM

Now let's go to your other observation: "The only alternative is subsidy." First, we know that in the absence of Making Money, we necessarily have Subsidy.

MM :arrow: Subsidy

Who is receiving these subsidies? Not Profit Making Institutions. In other words:

PMI :arrow: Subsidy

Now you have to connect these thoughts a couple steps further. With subsidy, outside control:

PMI :arrow: Subsidy :arrow: Outside Control

What do we know for sure about Outside Control? It implies no Honest Journalism:

PMI :arrow: Subsidy :arrow: Outside Control :arrow: Honest Journalism

Now, you may ask, how could I possibly expected to make all these connections and generate such a long diagram? This is where it becomes incumbent on you to try to work your way through the implications of the stimulus before jumping into diagramming. Diagramming is a powerful tool but can be rather time consuming.

See whether you can follow the train of thought by picking out the definite, important information and connecting it all together. For instance, from the stimulus, you could just observe that Profit Making Institutions must Make Money. If you're not Making Money, you're getting Subsidies and Outside Control. This makes it impossible to do Honest Journalism.

This need not be overly complex, but it is a skill you must practice. I hope this helps! Please follow up if you have questions.
 mankariousc
|
That makes so much more sense! Thank you! :)

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.