LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Assumption. The correct answer choice is (A)

The stimulus discusses the point of view that delays due to prepublication peer review for medical journals sometimes result in denying access to information that could have saved lives. The stimulus then argues that such peer review is the only way to prevent harmful and erroneous information from reaching the lay public, and concludes that waiting for peer review is the price that must be paid to protect the public.

The argument is unconvincing, because it inexplicably assumes that the public would generally read medical journals often enough to incur risk. Since you are asked what the argument assumes, you would generally look for a choice that makes it likely that the public actually reads professional medical journals. However, this is one of those times that the LSAT writers pull a fast one. The argument makes other perhaps less obvious assumptions, and you will need an open mind to get this question correct.

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice. The argument proceeds as if prepublication peer review is the only chance the findings have had at peer review. In fact, it is likely that some amount of peer review occurs before researchers bother to submit what they consider a fairly finished product for publication. If that is true, then the argument is wrong to suggest that the peer review involved immediately in the publication process is essential. That means the argument must assume that peer review does not occur except for during the publication process.

Answer choice (B): The argument does not need to assume that only those on review panels are capable of evaluating findings. Even if many people were capable of evaluating findings, it could still be true that lay public people read the findings often enough for harm to ensue, so this choice represents an unnecessary assumption.

Answer choice (C): The argument assumes that the general public does have access, not that the public lacks access, so this choice is contrary to the argument and incorrect. The LSAT writers delivered this response for those who identify the more obvious assumption, read the choices too quickly, and select this response on content without reading it carefully.

Answer choice (D): The argument does not need to assume that all findings are submitted for peer review in order to conclude that those findings should be submitted for peer review. This choice confuses what is always done with what should be done, so this choice is incorrect.

Answer choice (E): If peer review is subject to political and professional pressures, then it is likely that peer review has some negative qualities. While that would not defeat the argument, that certainly does not assist the argument, so this choice does not deliver a necessary assumption.
 marianawad
|
Hello, I was hoping you could help me with problem number 17 in the Chapter 5 HW set. It begins, "Medical research findings..."
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Like many LSAT questions, the language in this example can be significantly simplified.

Generally, the author tells us, medical research findings are not made public until they've undergone peer review. Some complain that this can cost lives.

However, the author warns, peer review is the only way to protect the untrained public from misuse of such findings.

Here the author jumps to the conclusion that medical journal publication is necessary to protect the public.

The unstated Supporter Assumption that is required is the one that will link the two rogue elements from above: that medical journal publication is a necessary condition for peer review to take place.
 reop6780
|
Pg 142

I chose answer B while the correct answer is A.

I negated answer B and thought if some ppl other than those doing peer review are smart enough to evaluate the medical findings, the conclusion that peer review is necessary would be disproved.

However, i later found the lines stating that "a public...its own."

This line already protect the argument from negated answer B.

However, I still do not find answer A appealing nor understand what kind of premise it is delivering.

What's answer A's role? supporter? defender?
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi reop6780!

Answer choice (A) is a Supporter Assumption that provides a link between the concepts medical journals and peer review.

If you diagram answer choice (A), it would look like this:

Peer review :arrow: Medical journal

The argument basically says:

Premise (3rd sentence): Peer review is necessary to protect the public
Diagram: Protect public :arrow: Peer review

Conclusion (last sentence): Medical journal is necessary to protect the public
Diagram: Protect public :arrow: Medical journal

The author has leapt from peer review being necessary to protect the public to publication in a medical journal being necessary to protect the public. Answer choice (A) draws that Supporter Assumption link between the two for us.

If you negate answer choice (A) to say that publication in a medical journal is NOT necessary for peer review (in other words, that there is another way to achieve peer review besides medical journal publication), then that would directly attack the conclusion that publication in a medical journal is necessary to protect the public.

Hope that helps!

Best,
Kelsey
 mhassan72
|
How would answer choice B, be negated. I got a little tripped up doing that and made the answer choice more attractive.
Are we supposed to remove both of the NOTs?
 Emily Haney-Caron
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi mhassan,

Great question. This is definitely a trickier one, because of the double nots. The key here is to remember that the goal is to logically negate it, so that it means the logical opposite. To do that, in this case you would change "does not have" to "may have." Do you see how that makes the sentence the logical opposite of the original?
 mhassan72
|
Emily Haney-Caron wrote:Hi mhassan,

Great question. This is definitely a trickier one, because of the double nots. The key here is to remember that the goal is to logically negate it, so that it means the logical opposite. To do that, in this case you would change "does not have" to "may have." Do you see how that makes the sentence the logical opposite of the original?
So I would only need to negate one of the nots, not both of them.
anyone who may serve...does not have knowledge
any who does not have knoweldege...may serve
or is it anyone who may serve...may have (this seems wrong)
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Alright, let's take a look at answer choice (B) more carefully:
Anyone who does not serve on a medical review panel does not have the necessary knowledge and expertise to evaluate medical research findings
We can diagram this conditional relationship as follows:
  • Serve on med. review panel :arrow: Knowledge/Expertise

Contrapositive:

Knowledge/Expertise :arrow: Serve on med. review panel
Negating the contrapositive statement will be easier, because we don't need to deal with negating a double-negation. That's just madness. Also, since the contrapositive is logically identical to the original statement, negating the contrapositive will be logically identical to negating the original statement!

So, how do we negate a conditional statement? We need to show that the sufficient condition can occur even in the absence of the necessary condition! Thus:
Logical opposite of answer choice (B):
Not everyone who has the necessary knowledge or expertise etc. serves on a medical review panel.
Clearly, this does not weaken the conclusion of the argument, rendering answer choice (B) incorrect.

For more information on how to negate complex and compound statements, check these blog posts out:

Negating conditional statements on the LSAT

Negating Compound and Conditional Statements

Hope this helps a bit! :)

Thanks,
 Blueballoon5%
|
Administrator wrote: Answer choice (C): The argument assumes that the general public does have access, not that the public lacks access, so this choice is contrary to the argument and incorrect. The LSAT writers delivered this response for those who identify the more obvious assumption, read the choices too quickly, and select this response on content without reading it carefully.
Hello! I was wondering if someone could help me. I don't understand the explanation for answer choice C. The explanation states, "The argument assumes that the general public does have access." I don't see where the stimulus infers the public having access to the medical journals. The stimulus seems to indicate the opposite. The argument seems to rest on the idea that the public do not have access to these medical journals prior to peer review?

Update: I have been rereading the stimulus, and I think I was confused by the order of the publication process. Rereading it, I get this order (chronologically):

Research :arrow: Prepublication Paper (WHEN PEER REVIEW HAPPENS) :arrow: Publication in medical journal (PUBLIC ACCESSES THIS STEP -- the "final" publication, which has been peer reviewed).

The reason why answer choice C is wrong is because the stimulus already assumes that the public has access to step 3. I got this question wrong, I think, because I thought answer choice C was referring to step 2 (Prepublication paper step, which only a panel of experts get to read and review).

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.