LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Bruin96!

The causal relationship in answer choice (D) can better be represented as:

Cause: socializing with coworkers is imprudent
Effect: Armand declined Helen's invitation

"Maria" is another coworker and she is equivalent to the "other countries" that have worse human rights records in the stimulus. The answer choice didn't need to name Maria specifically (it could have just left it at "another coworker" but it doesn't matter that it did name her specifically. The basic gist is the same. Armand declined Helen's invitation because he said socializing with coworkers is imprudent, but he has socialized with other coworkers, so that cannot be the only reason he declined Helen's invitation. That is very similar to the stimulus which is that Zeria severed ties with Nandalo because they said Nandalo violated human rights, but Zeria maintains ties with other countries that violate human rights, so that cannot be the only reason they severed ties with Nandalo.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Kelsey
 annabelle.swift
|
I understand C when I read it, but is there a way to diagram the conditional relationship to check my understanding?

From "although hunger... in any other way," I got    food readily obtained  :arrow:   hunger could be sole cause.
But from "in this case food... by his hunger," I got    food readily obtained  :arrow:  hunger could be sole cause.

However, this second diagram seems to be a Mistaken Negation. What did I do wrong?
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
annabelle.swift,

Answer choice (C) is a wrong answer. You diagrammed it and it appears to be a Mistaken Negation. If the stimulus were a Mistaken Negation, that would be a problem - your diagram would be apparently showing it to be a correct answer. But that's not the situation. The stimulus isn't a Mistaken Negation, so if answer choice (C) diagrams as a Mistaken Negation, that just seems like more confirmation that it's wrong. In fact, I think it accomplished exactly what you wanted - showing via a diagram that answer choice (C) doesn't do what the stimulus does.

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.