LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Flaw in the reasoning. The correct answer choice is (B)

This stimulus describes an experiment that uses rats with and without different deficiencies in sight, hearing, and smell. The rats with the deficiencies lacked one of these senses. The experiment found that the rats with the deficiencies completed the experiment in the same amount of time as those without. It then describes another sense—kinesthesia—which may have an effect on the experiment. The argument concludes that given the evidence, kinesthesia is by itself sufficient to allow the rats with the deficiencies to complete the experiments. The flaw here is that the experiment is set up improperly. The rats with the deficiencies did not complete the experiment using kinesthesia alone; rather, they also had the aid of senses other than those in which they were deficient. Therefore, it is possible that these rats did not rely on kinesthesia alone in completing the experiment.

Answer choice (A) The small differences in proficiency are irrelevant to the argument. The fact that the rats completed the experiment in much the same time simply shows that the rats with deficiencies are somehow as proficient in completing the experiment as those without.

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice. The evidence does not exclude the possibility that the rats also used their non-deficient senses in addition to kinesthesia to complete the experiment. The argument, however, jumps to the conclusion that kinesthesia alone is sufficient to complete the experiment.

Answer choice (C) In order for the argument to be valid, it need not show how the rats relied on kinesthesia.

Answer choice (D) There are two problems with this answer. First, as explained above, it is not clear from the evidence presented that the rats can complete the experiment using kinesthesia alone. Second, the possibility that rats respond to non-kinesthetic stimulation need not be ruled out, as the argument does not address non-kinesthetic stimulation.

Answer choice (E) The first part of this answer choice is true, as our pre-phrase shows. However, regarding the second part, the argument need not determine which remaining source must also be employed.
 ob00x7
|
Hey, would anyone be able to help me with a couple of problems. In in lr for the feb 94 sec. 4., I have a few questions. First on question 14 I dont know why E is correct and B is not. Any help will be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Dear ob00x7,

As with the other question you posted, can you clarify how you approached this particular problem? How did you break down the stimulus, and why did you choose answer choice (B) over (E)? The more we know about your thought process, the better we can help you out.

Thanks!
 ob00x7
|
Ok so i can see that the stimulus mentions certain senses that certain rats are lacking. It also says that only kinesthesia has not been shown to be irrelevant. So it could or could not play a role in learning the maze. The conclusion is that kinesthesia is necessary for the sufficient, learning the maze. I understand that B means kin. may interact with another element , but wouldn't that still make kin. the necessary condition because you need it to react with another sense to learn the maze whatever the other sense may be, kin. is still needed. isn't that similar to D because again kin. is needed with some other sense which is unknowable. Sorry i was tired when i wrote the question but B is the correct answer and my question is if E is incorrect then why would B be correct.

Thanks,
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi,

Thanks for your response. You're right--those answer choices are similar.

The question asks for the choice that reflects the vulnerability of the author's argument.

Correct answer choice B says that another possibility cannot be ruled out. In other words, there is at least some reason we might question the author's conclusion.

Answer choice E, on the other hand, makes a much bolder claim--one that cannot be backed up. This choice claims that It can be determined based on the data that the author is wrong. That's not true.

So, in short, why is B right and E wrong? Because B says the author might be wrong. E claims that the data proves the author wrong.

Subtle! I hope that's helpful--please let me know whether that clears this one up--thanks!

~Steve
 ob00x7
|
Hey Steve, thank you that was helpful.
 reop6780
|
I originally picked the right answer B, but switched it with answer D believing that answer D also points out error in conditional reasoning.

The stimuli has established conditional reasoning by setting kinesthesia as sufficent for maze learning.

This must be an error in that we cannot simply call some correlation as sufficient condition.

From what i'm understandinf answer B attacks the conclusion saying kinesthesia could be necessary condition.

The reason why i picked answer D instead of B at the end is that i thought "but the possibility..." calls the illustrated sufficient condition, kinesthesia, into question.

What am I missing here?
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi,

Good question. Take another look at the first part of the answer; it can't really be determined based on that data that kinesthesia can be depended upon alone--the author merely points out that it is the one sense that has been shown to not be entirely irrelevant.

Subtle distinction! I hope this is helpful--please let me know whether this is clear--thanks!

~Steve
 scharles35
|
I dont know if it has just been a long night of studying but i do not understand this question can someone explained this question to me please...I had choose the answer (C) but later found out the correct answer is (B)
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
scharles35 wrote:I dont know if it has just been a long night of studying but i do not understand this question can someone explained this question to me please...I had choose the answer (C) but later found out the correct answer is (B)
Dear scharles35:

Answer C actually hurts, maybe, in that it seems to strengthen the role of kinesthesia.
Answer B, though, shows, that kinesthesia may need at least one other sense, so it cannot be sufficient. (The words "is required" sound like a necessary condition; but commonsensically, we can say that if something is missing what's required, it is insufficient, i.e., it can't be a sufficient condition.)

Hope this helps,
David

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.