LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Assumption. The correct answer choice is (C)

We must make more serious conservation efforts in order to preserve—for all time—our ability to use chemicals from plants. This is because many useful chemicals have been derived from rare or endangered species, and thus it is likely that many now extinct species could have given us more useful chemicals.

This is an assumption question. Be sure to eliminate answers that are wildly off-topic to X's conclusion, stated above.

Answer choice (A): This answer is incorrect because either rejecting or accepting this assumption as true does not affect the future ability to use plant-derived chemicals.

Answer choice (B): This answer is incorrect because it does not address the conclusion of X's argument in any way.

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer choice. If the use of these plant-derived chemicals itself would lead to the plants' extinction, then X's argument that we can preserve for all time the ability to use such chemicals is destroyed. X argues that people should conserve in order to eternally ensure these plants' survival so that we can use them. But if in using these plants, we would render them extinct, then we can no longer ensure their survival for all time.

Answer choice (D): This answer is incorrect because it goes too far with the word “only.” X argues for conservation by contending that it is in peoples' best interests to do so (to preserve the use of useful chemicals). Thus, one (among others) necessary assumption of X's argument is that it must at least be possible to convince people to conserve by appealing to their self interest. This answer choice, however, by saying that such an argument is the only way to convince people to conserve. This is too strong for a necessary assumption.

Answer choice (E): This answer is incorrect. In fact, it is not merely not an assumption underlying and supporting X's argument, but it even weakens it. One necessary assumption of X's argument is that conservation efforts would be successful. But (E) attacks that assumption.
 lathlee
|
Hi. I do not have a problem with the answer choice B) but I tried to solve this question using conditional reasoning cuz there are so many conditional indicators are loaded in this question. is my approach wrong?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I'm only seeing one clear conditional claim in the argument, lathlee, and if you want to diagram that, go ahead. Something like "want to ensure :arrow: make more serious efforts". Ultimately, though, the argument doesn't base itself on conditional claims, and the questions aren't about drawing inferences from or identifying flaws in those claims, so it may be unnecessary to do so. Just because you see something conditional doesn't mean you have to diagram it! Let the question stem help you decide whether that is worthwhile before forcing yourself to go through extra work that won't help.
 lathlee
|
First of all, C) is the right answer.
But now i see two problem C and E are both strong candiate if it is negated, even though C) can slightly strongly hurt the conclusion more than E). Therefore C) would be most deserving choice for the correct answer choice.
However this is the problem with E) says Few, if any, plant species have been saved from extinction through human efforts.

LOGical negation : None plant species has been saved from extinction by human species.

But I know how E is phrased and presented ..... that in this occasion, E)'s -----Few, if any, ---- means Possibility of 0 is also included. which is the reason that why C) will have stronger attacking hurting power to the conclusion than E) since negation of E)'s negation version can mean : None, at the same time; possibly some, species have been saved from extinction by human species.

Am I thinking correctly?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Your negation of E is off here, lathlee. How do we make the claim that "few, if any, ...have been saved..." a false statement? Saying "None have been saved" actually proves that answer to be true! "Few, if any" means little or none. The correct negation would be the logical opposite of "few", which is "not few". That isn't very helpful, so let's try a little polar opposition. I would negate this by saying "more than a few" or perhaps "many" to negate it. If many, or even more than a few, have been saved by human efforts, that doesn't weaken the argument at all, but helps it by showing that human intervention can do the job, at least sometimes.

Remember that the goal of negation is to make the answer untrue. "It is not true that few, if any, have been saved" means that more than a few have been saved!
 kcho10
|
Hello,

I am having trouble seeing how A is incorrect for the reason given. Even though this answer choice is talking about the past, isn't the author partially using the past as a premise for a prescription in the first sentence?

One reason why I could think A is incorrect is it is talking about policy, whereas the argument only discusses efforts. So A is too specific to be correct.
Also, "more advanced" seems like it could be a bit of an exaggeration. If more substances were preserved, I'm not sure that would necessarily mean that medicine would have been more advanced.

Please let me know if my reasoning is correct. Thank you
 Alex Bodaken
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
kcho10,

I think you're on the right track. Basically, the issue with answer choice (A) is that it is talking about medicine as a whole being more advanced, while the stimulus (and the correct answer choice (C)) is talking specifically about the relationship between chemicals and plants. The author is arguing that reducing plant extinction will improve our ability to extract helpful chemicals, but she makes no mention of medicine generally. Her argument does not assume that the field as a whole will necessarily advance, making (A) incorrect.

Hope this helps!
Alex

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.