LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Flaw in the reasoning. The correct answer choice is (B)

This stimulus first presents the definition of a Japanese haiku. It then points to the fact that English poets often ignore this definition, and incorrectly categorize certain poems under haiku when they are in fact not. From this, the argument concludes that this demonstrates that English poets have little respect for foreign traditions. Intuitively, this seems to be an overreaction. There is no indication that English poets purposely ignore the definition of a haiku. Furthermore, there is no indication that such ignorance is so egregious or offensive that it demonstrates a lack of respect for foreign traditions. In short, the argument makes a mountain out of a molehill.

Answer choice (A) The argument does not confuse the objective with the subjective. There is no indication that a distinction between the objective and the subjective even exists in the context of this argument, since the two concepts are irrelevant to the argument.

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice. The conclusion that the argument draws—that English poets have little respect for foreign traditions—is too broad in scope. That is, the conclusion blows the situation out of proportion, and makes a far stronger statement than what the evidence provides for. As explained above, all the evidence shows is that sometimes English poets ignore certain definitions, possibly by mistake, and the argument takes this fact and concludes that English poets lack respect for foreign definitions.

Answer choice (C) The argument does not rely on stereotypes. The characterization regarding English poets, even taken generously, does not rise to the level of a stereotype.

Answer choice (D) This answer choice is totally irrelevant. Perhaps the case of English poets the stimulus cites is not unique, but this is not what is wrong with the argument.

Answer choice (E) The argument does not do this. While it does ignore something—the proper definition of a haiku—it does not imply a negative judgment about that thing—the haiku. Instead, the argument implies a negative judgment about something else—English poets who are guilty of this ignorance are also guilty of a lack of respect for foreign things.
 reop6780
|
I chose A believing that the author confuses matters of objective facts (they generally call. ..Haiku) with matters of subjective feeling (little respect).

I need a help to regard it as an incorrect answer.

I guess the reason why answer B is correct is that it may be too broad to say "little respect for TRADITION" when the evidence is restricted to poem..?
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Hyun,

You are correct about answer choice (B). Not completely respecting the haiku description does not justify a conclusion as broad as "demonstrates that English poets have little respect for foreign traditions."

With answer choice (A), is there an actual confusion here? This answer choice describes a situation where the author couldn't tell the two apart. I don't see that as the case here. Instead, the author used a fact about haikus, and the disregard for that structure, to make a broader claim that a lack of respect existed. One leads to the other instead of them being confused.

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!
 egarcia193
|
Hi
Can someone please explain how the conclusion is broader in scope than the evidence suggests, I eliminated B and chose A because I believed the author mixed up the facts of why English authors call any 3 line poem a haiku with his personal feelings about the matter.
 mshaikh
|
I don't quite understand the explanation for answer choice A being incorrect. Can someone please give an example of what confusing matters of objective fact with matters of subjective feeling? When reading the stimulus I automatically thought the author was appealing to emotion and had a lack of evidence to support conclusion so I was stuck between answer choice A and B. I thought A described an appeal to emotion but I guess it doesn't. Please explain answer choice A further. Thanks in advance!
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi E and M,

Did you happen to see my followup reply to this question above? I talk about (A) and (B) in there and explain each. If you can let me know which part was unclear, either I can clarify or another instructor can :-D

Thanks!
 mshaikh
|
Hi Dave,

Thanks so much for your response. I understand why B is correct now after re-reading the question explanations but I am struggling with A. My main concern is what would be an example of confusing matters of objective fact with matters of subjective feeling?

I thought that the author was appealing to emotion because he automatically assumed that English poets had little respect for foreign traditions and was implying offense and anger. But now I see that wasn't really the main issue with the stimuli, rather it was that the facts don't support the conclusion the author made, which is why B is correct.

Basically what I am asking, is that would you be able to give an example of what answer choice A ("confuses matters of objective fact with matters of subjective feeling") might look like in a stimulus (if it was the correct AC)? That way if I understand what an example of that answer choice looks like so I won't fall for a wrong answer.

(Note to self: page 7-80 in homework).

Best,

Maham
 AthenaDalton
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Maham,

Thanks for the reply, and for reviewing the problem again! I've always thought that when someone sees the issue on their own, the lesson stays with them better. But that's not always possible, and that's when we go into these more deeply, like with (A) here :-D

Let's break (A) into parts to better analyze what they are talking about. First, "matters of objective fact" is reasonably straightforward, and by that term they mean something that is a fact that is typically undisputed, such as how many people responded to a survey with a positive answer, or the speed of sound. Next, "matters of subjective feeling" refers to areas where the view is not factual but more personal, such as how a song makes you feel or whether you chose the right color paint for your living room. Here's an example of each for you:

• Objective fact: The traditional haiku structure uses a 5/7/5 syllable structure. This poem uses a 3/7/5 structure, so it's not a haiku.

Subjective feeling: Even though this poem follows the 5/7/5 syllable structure, I feel that it's a poor example of the art form because the poem focuses on American pop culture, not traditional themes like nature and the human condition.

The two phrases above aren't usually the problem here, it's when the answer choice references "confusing" the two that it gets tough. An argument which confuses the two might look like this:

• A haiku is defined as a poem that follows the 5/7/5 syllable structure. Although this poem uses a 5/7/5 structure, I feel that it doesn't sound like a traditional haiku, and is therefore a poor example of the art form.
Hope this makes sense. Good luck studying!
 mshaikh
|
Hi AthenaDalton,

That makes a lot more sense to me now! It is much simpler than I was imagining it to be. Now, I will be able to recognize the error if it ever does appear in a stimulus.

Best,

Maham
 deck1134
|
Hello,

Is E wrong because "little respect for foreign traditions" does not merit "fails to acknowledge that ignoring something implies a negative judgement about that thing? I'm confused as to exactly why E is wrong.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.