LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Flaw in the Reasoning. The correct answer choice is (B)

The teacher concludes that journalists who conceal the identity of their sources stake their professional reputations on the "logic of anecdotes," because such sources are removed from precise circumstances, and will only be accepted if the statements are either very plausible or original or are very interesting to a given audience, and those are the properties of a good anecdote.

The student says responds by concluding that the teacher is committed to the idea that the journalist need not bother with sources, because any reasonably resourceful journalist should be able to invent such anecdotal stories faster than they could be gotten from unidentified sources.

The student's response is flawed for several reasons. On the most basic logical level, the student seems to interpret the teacher's remarks through a Mistaken Reversal. The teacher proposed that the necessary condition was to be either plausible, original or interesting, but the student seems to have taken that condition as sufficient. There is no reason to suppose that the teacher does not believe in other necessary conditions-- for instance, the necessary condition that the source is real and external.

The LSAT is most likely to dwell on such logical flaws, so you should focus on that before considering the "gray-area" flaws this stimulus admittedly has .

Answer choice (A): This choice may have been attractive, but since the stimulus did not give you any reason to suppose that anecdotal evidence is a marginal practice, you should not select this choice. When you answer a flaw question, you should focus on the definite logical flaws of a stimulus before you consider responses that reference a specific reality, and you will very infrequently find a correct response that, as does this one, references what is "actually" true.

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice. Perhaps the most obvious additionally necessary condition in which the teacher would believe is that the statements must also have been made by an actual source. This response hits on the fact that the student has erroneously presumed the teacher's criteria to have been proposed as sufficient, when in reality they were probably just a fragment of the conditions the teacher would propose as necessary. Notice that this choice refers to the fact that the student ignores a possibility, rather than asserting anything definite.

Answer choice (C): This response refers to the fact that, given the student's statements, it is quite possible that the student does not understand that the teacher is discussing a source that a journalist does not identify, rather than one that the journalist cannot identify. However, while it is possible that the student has committed such a flaw, you cannot be certain from the student's wording that such a flaw exists, so this response is simply not as supported as is a response that focuses on the student's very definite logical error.

Answer choice (D): This response states that the student applies the teacher's position to the most extreme case to which it would apply, but it is actually unclear that the student has correctly interpreted the teacher's statements in the first place, so this choice is wrong. Furthermore, applying a position to an extreme case in order to determine whether the position holds is actually a very legitimate reasoning technique, so it is not probable that this response would express a flaw.

Answer choice (E): The student does not confuse "and" with "or," so you should not select this response. The student did logically misinterpret the teacher's statements, but the error was one of a complete Mistaken Reversal. In fact, the teacher never proposed that the conditions were required together, only that one of the three was a requirement, so this response does not even correctly describe the teacher's position, and is itself flawed.
 mab2013
|
I really would appreciate help with this question. I am having a hard time seeing how B is correct because it just seems unrelated to what the Student is saying. Can anyone guide me through the answer choices on this one?
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi M,

Let me see if I can help you out here. The teacher makes a comment about unattributed quotes, stating that these unattributed quotes rely on characteristics that are also required of good anecdotes.

The student starts off by saying, "But what you are saying, then, is that..." Any time you see that phrase, your LSAT radar should turn on to high alert, because that phrasing is often associated with a Straw Man error, and with flawed reasoning in general. The student continues on to say that what the teacher is saying is that the journalists should not deal with sources at all, and could just make up the quotes. Think about that leap for a second--did the teacher say anything like that? No, there was nothing about making up quotes, just that when they were anonymous that they needed to highly plausible or original.

So, in restating the teacher's comment, the student made an error. Which of the answers then best describes that error?

What I really want to see here is a Straw Man-type of answer--something like "distorts the teacher's position"--but we don't get that. So, I move on to what that distortion is composed of, which is the student said that the quotes could be made up, when the teacher said no such thing. That's where answer choice (B) comes in, and thus it is the correct answer.

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!
 mab2013
|
Ah, got it. Thank you so much. I'll be on the look out for those indicators.
 kristinaroz93
|
"Teacher: Journalists who conceal the identity of the sources they quote..."

While I understand the whole necc/sufficient dilemma going on (that there is a mistaken reversal present in the stimulus), I don't see how B represents it. Would anyone mind expanding =)?

(I aways thought we could have more causes (suff) for an effect (necc), but not the opposite. The explanation says "There is no reason to suppose that the teacher does not believe in other necessary conditions--> for instance, the necessary condition that the source is real and external". Somewhere here is where I am getting lost!!)

Best,

Kristina
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Kristina,

That's a good question. The teacher says that journalists who use anonymous sources stake their reputations on the "logic of anecdotes." This, says the teacher, is true because stories using such sources are only chosen if they have the properties of a good anecdote:

Anonymously sourced statements published :arrow: have properties of a good anecdote

The student responds that in that case, a journalist shouldn't bother with sources: basically, why not just lie? One can just make up a story with the properties of a good anecdote, the student's argument goes, and such statements can be chosen for publication:

properties of a good anecdote :arrow: statements published

...but the teacher isn't saying that those attributes are sufficient for anonymously sourced statements to be published--only that those attributes are necessary for such statements to be published (meaning that there could be other requirements as well).

The question asks for the choice containing a flaw in the argument, and as answer choice (B) provides, the student's response ignores the possibility that although the teacher doesn't mention it, maybe there are other attributes that are also required for publication, such as truthfulness, for example.

I hope that's helpful! Please let me know whether this is clear--thanks!

~Steve
 kristinaroz93
|
Hi Steve,

Thanks for your response! You wrote:

"...but the teacher isn't saying that those attributes are sufficient for anonymously sourced statements to be published--only that those attributes are necessary for such statements to be published (meaning that there could be other requirements as well).

This is the statement you are referring to here right: properties of a good anecdote
I still do not understand this other requirements tibbit....how would it look like if diagrammed?

The question asks for the choice containing a flaw in the argument, and as answer choice (B) provides, the student's response ignores the possibility that although the teacher doesn't mention it, maybe there are other attributes that are also required for publication, such as truthfulness, for example. "

So here is our conditional:
Anonymously sourced statements published --> have properties of a good anecdote

but now using this other requirement:

Anonymously sourced statements published--> have properties of a good anecdote + truthfulness

Is that what is meant by other requirements (as in where I should sitck the term truthfulness into the conditional)?

Best,

Kristina
 Clay Cooper
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Kristina,

Yes, exactly.

To recap, it could be the case that, not only is the quote's being published sufficient to prove that it has the properties of a good anecdote, but also that it is true. Nothing in the teacher'so argument precludes this possibility, so the response which ignores it is flawed.

In that case, we add truthfulness to the right side of our conditional statement, and the flaw in the response becomes clear.

Thanks for your question and precise follow-up!
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Thanks! Great answer, Clay. I would like to add one additional point: Even if truthfulness had been included in the student's response, the student's conclusion would still not be valid:

"So what you're saying is that I just need to find any truthful statement that has the properties of a good anecdote, and I can get it published."

This would still represent a Mistaken Reversal, as there could still be still other necessary conditions that the teacher didn't happen to explicitly mention.

The quick takeaway: We can't take a necessary condition and simply conclude that it is sufficient.

I hope that's helpful! Please let me know whether this is clear—thanks!
 Sherry001
|
Hello;
could you please check my reasoning for this question? I saw two flaws , and I understand that there could be more than one flaw , but I saw two answer choices that addressed both flaws. So I was stuck between B and D for a very long time.

Teacher:

1- accepted for publication-> High plausibility OR Originality, OR interest audience.
C: Journalists who conceal the identity of the sources they quote stake their professional reputations on what may be called the logic of anecdotes.

Student:

1- Journalist can invent plausible, original or interesting stories -> faster than they can be obtained from unidentified sources.
C:But what your saying then , is that journalists do not need to bother with sources in the first place.

A) Wrong . No primary nothing is confused nor discussed.

B) Keep for now, The teacher states necessary condition, the students turn them to sufficient.

C)Wrong. irreverent.

D) this looked super tempting because, I am so used to seeing " so your saying.. " statements as straw man flaws, So that why I chose this. I mean, the teacher just says nothing about journalists not having to bother sourcing in the first place, but the student does misunderstand. so why is this wrong?

E)This describes whole to part. irrelevant.

Thank you
Sherry

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.