LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Question Explanation

Point at Issue. The correct answer choice is (C)

Both speakers would agree to the statement in answer choice (A), and thus it is incorrect.

In answer choice (C), the word "unequivocal" can be defined as "certain," and Lewis would agree with the statement while Morris would disagree with the statement. Since the two speakers disagree about the statement in answer choice (C), it is the correct answer.

Answer choice (D) is factual in nature, and since the disagreement is moral in nature, it is incorrect.
 Tyler
|
Can I have an explanation as to why exactly answer choice A is wrong? I chose A because I thought it passed the Agree/Disagree test. Thanks!
 Francis O'Rourke
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Morris does not allege that every fact has already been contested. Morris is instead claiming that we are able to prove any conclusion from the "storehouse of events."
 Etsevdos
|
What is wrong with B?
 Claire Horan
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Etsevdos,

The question stem asks you to identify the issue that Morris raises. (B) doesn't match very well with Morris's statement. For one, "useful" is too general--Morris does not say that historical knowledge is not useful. His argument is more that since history includes so many events, it is possible to find support for anything. Another problem with (B) is that it is unclear what "too narrow" would mean, since Morris doesn't use that expression. I might interpret (B) to mean that historical knowledge may not be useful without additional types of knowledge, which is not at all similar to what Morris says.

I hope this was helpful!
 sa3334
|
Can you go over what exactly Morris is saying? I'm confused by the wording of the stimulus. Thanks!
 James Finch
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi SA,

Morris is arguing that history is too vast and may be interpreted in an infinite number of ways, so attempting to learn anything of value from it is foolish; anyone can prove anything by cherry-picking historical facts. Answer choice (C) is closest to what we can infer is Morris's conclusion, so it is the correct answer.

Hope this helps!
 SammyWu11201
|
Can we rule out AC A because even if some historical facts are to the contrary of some other historical facts, we don't know based on what Morris is saying what has been contested or not contested. So, therefore, AC A is not right?
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Sammy!

We can eliminate answer choice (A) because Morris is not arguing about whether or not there are any uncontested facts (in other words, facts that everyone agrees are true). Instead, Morris's point is more about how facts are interpreted to draw historical lessons from them. People can agree on facts, but disagree on the lessons to be learned from those facts. You could have a point of view and find several factual historical events that support your point of view. But someone else could have the opposite point of view and still find several factual historical events to support their point of view.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Kelsey
 crispycrispr
|
Can (E) be ruled out because we don't know whether Morris would agree/disagree? (Morris doesn't talk about influence of past to present)

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.