LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

SwanQueen
|
I have a question about the use of "EVEN IF" in your explanation for (A): "....Monetary values for environmental factors can be assigned even if people do NOT make decisions about these factors."

Is "even if" a necessary condition indicator? Is this a general rule or is it case by case? What role does "even if" play?

I am struggling to word my confusion, but I suppose that reflects that I do not know the meaning of "even if"

Hope you can help me clarify this!

Administrator wrote:Complete Question Explanation

Method of Reasoning-SN. The correct answer choice is (A)

This is a challenging question with which to end this LR section. The stimulus opens by pointing out that environmental economics aims to address the problem that people cannot readily compare ecological costs and benefits with other costs and benefits. Next, the stimulus states that the solution must involve assigning monetary values to environmental factors. Third, and problematically (as indicated by "but" at the start of the third sentence), monetary values result from people comparing costs and benefits to arrive at economic decisions. The stimulus then concludes that environmental economics is stymied (which means "frustrated" or "stopped") by what motivates it.

The dilemma is that making easy comparisons requires being able to assign monetary values, But, monetary values actually result from comparisons in the first place. Thus, we have a problem with a circular aspect: to have X happen you need Y to happen, but to have Y happen, you need X to happen. Don't confuse the circular aspect of the dilemma with a flawed circular argument—that's not what is happening here. A flawed circular argument basically assumes the conclusion is true (often via restatement of a premise or via an assumption of the argument that turns out to be identical to the conclusion). In this argument the author is describing a problem where two things basically require each other to happen, and in that situation, it's tough to get the whole process started. That's a tricky concept, so let's use an analogy to help make it clearer:
  • Let's say you are totally broke and want to get a well-paying job. To get this job, you need a nice outfit to wear, but you don't have one. And problematically, to get that nice outfit, you need a job so you have the funds to purchase it! So, there's an issue: you need a nice outfit to get the job, but to get the nice outfit you have to have a job to pay for the outfit.
In that type of scenario, it's tough to make anything happen. In a sense, you are stymied because each thing you want requires the other. Thus, seen through this filter, the conclusion the author makes in the stimulus is very reasonable, and one would say that it is supported strongly. That tells us that answer choice (A) or (B) is almost certainly the correct answer, as those are the only two that state that the conclusion is supported strongly.

As an aside, is the situation impossible? No, there can be other ways around it. Using our job/outfit analogy, we could try borrowing an outfit, or taking a loan, etc. The stimulus doesn't address these points (nor does it have to), but it's worth considering when we reflect back on the question.

And, just to make sure the relationship in the stimulus is perfectly clear, here's another example analogy, drawn from one of the explanations above:
  • Let's say I wear glasses, and my vision is terrible without them. If I lose my glasses, I can't see. The solution would be to find my glasses and put them on, but I can't find them because I can't see.
As noted above, the problem is its own reason why the solution won't work.

The question stem here is somewhat unusual. The stem begins by asserting that you should accept the statements in the passage as true, and thus this is a First Family question. Next, using the stimulus, you are asked to evaluate how well the premises support the conclusion (and each answer choice begins with a statement of the strength). This means you are evaluating how the reasoning was made and how well it works, and thus this is a Method of Reasoning question.

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice. The conclusion was strong, so this answer choice looks promising. But, did our conclusion require the assumption that, "monetary values for environmental factors cannot be assigned unless people make economic decisions about these factors" ? As noted earlier, assumptions are, by default, necessary for the conclusion of the argument to be logically valid. So, to see if this truly was an assumption of the argument, we can negate it, and if the negated version undermines the conclusion, then this would indeed be an assumption. Let's negate the assumption in answer choice (A) and examine the implication of that negation:

..... "Monetary values for environmental factors can be assigned even if people do NOT make decisions about these factors."

If that were true, then environmental economics would not necessarily be stymied by what it motivates it—monetary values could be determined, and then people could make economic decisions . Since the logical opposite of the assumption in answer choice (A) weakens the argument, it is indeed a necessary assumption for the conclusion to be logically valid, and answer choice (A) is correct.

Answer choice (B) The conclusion was supported strongly, so this answer choice also begins in promising fashion. However, the offered condition in this choice—which includes "the things categorized as environmental factors"—was not addressed in the stimulus, and so this response cannot be correct.

If this answer was still under consideration, note that since the answer itself is in conditional form, you could diagram it and then see if it applied:
  • answer: Strongly ..... :arrow: ..... Decision making has affected categorization of factors

Contrapositive: Decision making has affected categorization of factors ..... :arrow: ..... Strongly
If you consider the contrapositive, we do not know that the sufficient condition has occurred, and thus we cannot conclude that the argument is strongly supported.

Answer choice (C): The argumentation is strong, and thus this choice is incorrect. Furthermore, the question stem asks us to assume the premises are correct, and evaluate the conclusion. This answer choice might be interpreted as an attack on the premise that "people making economic decisions cannot readily compare economic factors..." Under that interpretation, this choice ignores the directive of the question stem. Otherwise, this answer choice can be seen as off-topic, because the stimulus was about allowing people to readily compare economic factors, not about whether they in general don't take account of the existence of factors.

Answer choice (D): The argument was strong, and so this response is also incorrect. Furthermore, this response indirectly suggests that there is data available with which we could begin to understand the value of economic factors. That would be in disagreement with the premises, and we were instructed to assume the premises were true.

Answer choice (E): Based on our discussion of the "circular" issue in the stimulus, you can see why this answer choice would be extremely attractive. Something that feels circular is happening, and this answer mentions "circular," and on that basis a large number of test takers selected this answer. But, as discussed above, the circular flaw described in this answer choice is very different than that in the stimulus. This answer choice thus represents a great example of an answer that someone chooses confidently and then later is surprised later to learn was incorrect. Always make sure that what you perceive to be occurring in the stimulus is matched exactly by the description in the answer choice!
 Jeremy Press
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi SwanQueen,

The phrase "even if" is an indicator that something is not actually necessary. The negation of a conditional statement involves stating that the necessary condition isn't really necessary. One way to rephrase a conditional statement to say that the necessary conditional isn't really necessary is to put the phrase "even if" before the necessary condition and then negate it.

Let's say someone tells me, "In order to become a lawyer, you must pass a bar exam," and I (rightly, because that statement isn't true!) want to negate that conditional statement. I would say: "You can become a lawyer even if you do NOT pass a bar exam." What does that claim mean? It means there's a possibility the sufficient condition [becoming a lawyer] happens WITHOUT the necessary condition [passing a bar exam]. This is the true logical opposite of a conditional statement: the possibility of the presence of the sufficient condition without the necessary condition.

Another way to say the same thing is to use the phrase "whether or not" (in which case you don't have to negate). For my example above: You can become a lawyer whether or not you pass the bar exam. Same meaning as my "even if" statement (tells me the sufficient condition can occur without the necessary condition).

Let me know if this clears things up!

Jeremy
 tetsuya0129
|
I was tempted by (E). I interpreted the flaw to be: presupposing one to be an aim of environmental economics (EE). So I thought that the argument committed the fallacy of begging the question. Did I think it wrong?
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
tetsuya,

The stimulus did not involve a flaw of circular reasoning. The motivation of environmental economics was not presupposed - the first sentence established what its motivation is. So the conclusion reference to its motivation is established by the premises already. Note that the conclusion says that environmental economics is stymied by what motivates it - if that entire claim had been assumed in the premises, there would be circular reasoning. But the premises don't simple assume it - they go about trying to prove it.

Robert Carroll
 cd1010
|
Hello -- Can you clarify what is the best process for negating a conditional relationship? In the original explanation it said that the negation of A is:

"Monetary values for environmental factors can be assigned even if people do NOT make decisions about these factors."

Is it ok to just change the "Not"? Do change the "not" on the sufficient or the necessary side? Negating a conditional relationship is not taking the contrapositive, right? Because contrapositive is a logical equivalent?

I get very confused when I do this kind of complicated diagramming methodically, because I end up with an equation looking thing that I don't know how to plug back in to actually understand what's going on in the AC :(
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
cd1010,

There's a discussion of that issue here: https://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/bid-29 ... -the-lsat/

Quick takeaways, and be sure to read the blog after reading my post:

1. You're correct that a contrapositive is not the negation of a conditional, because it's actually equivalent to the original conditional.

2. A conditional like "If S then N" is saying that N is true every single time that S is true. So the negation simply says that that's not the case - N isn't true every single time S is true. So we can say in general that the negation is "It could be possible that the sufficient is true and the necessary is false" or "It can happen at least once that the sufficient condition is true and the necessary is false."

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.