LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Method of Reasoning. The correct answer choice is (E).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E): This is the correct answer choice.

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 smile22
|
What category of questions is the question stem of this question? Is this a "flaw" question?
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi smile22!

This is a tricky question stem! It's actually a Method of Reasoning question. A Flaw in the Reasoning question would tell you that the logic is flawed in the question stem. The response of the critics is flawed in this case, but instead of asking you to identify what the flaw is, they are asking you to evaluate the method reasoning. The question stem would work whether the critics' response was flawed or not so you need to determine if the critics' argument is valid or not on your own. In this case, it is flawed, which is why the answer choice describes flawed reasoning.

Hope that helps!

Best,
Kelsey
 linda.an
|
Hello,

Bue isn't Answer E) concluding that "so it is not relevant whether the instances studied were representative"? Clearly, that conclusion is not the one drawn by the critics (critics question whether the experiment sample was representative). So i thought Answer E) was a Reversed Answer and eliminated it.

Please help me understand this answer. Thank you!
 Shannon Parker
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi,

This really is a tricky question stem, and I must admit that my first time reading question and answer choices, I had the same initial reaction that you did and felt like eliminating (E) as being the opposite of what I was looking for. The key is to determine what the question is really calling for, despite what it might sound like. In this question, asking what the logical force is, is equivalent to asking the method of reasoning. You can think of it as asking "what effect does the critics response have?" and the answer would be "none, the issue is only..."

Another clue on this tricky question is that none of the other answer choices really fit, so if you read through them all one time, and none of them fit, then you should know that you either missed a piece of information in the stimulus or misunderstood the call of the question and you should go back and start over.

Hope this helps.
~Shannon
 rpark8214
|
Hi,

How common is the "adequate evaluation of the logical force" question stem?

Thanks!
 Francis O'Rourke
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
If you are asking about the specific language used in the question stem, I would say that it is rather rare.

In general, method of reasoning questions come up an average number of times on most tests. According to this article by Jon Denning, Method of reasoning questions are the 7th most common question type out of the 13 types that we recognize, appearing on roughly 7% of Logical Reasoning questions.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.