LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=10929)

The correct answer choice is (D)

If slot 1 is occupied by the only I feature in the newsletter, then there would be no F or T features according to the second rule.
June15_game_4_#22_diagram_1.png
However, just because slot 1 is occupied by the only I feature in the newsletter does not mean that this feature would occupy slot 1 only! Remember—a single feature can occupy up to three consecutively numbered slots in accordance with the first rule. We just need to make sure that there are at least three features in total, so each of the other two (or more) features need to be M. The following solutions are therefore possible:
June15_game_4_#22_diagram_2.png
Answer choice (A) is incorrect, because the I feature need not occupy slot 2.

Answer choice (B) is incorrect, because the I feature need not occupy slots 2 or 3. Either (or both) of them can be occupied by an M feature. See first solution above.

Answer choice (C) is incorrect because an M feature could, but does not need to, occupy slots 2 or 3. Both slots can be occupied by the single I feature that also occupies slot 1. See third solution above.

Answer choice (D) is the correct answer choice, as suggested by the three solutions outlined above: there is an M feature that occupies one or more of slots 2, 3, and 4 in each of these solutions.

Another way to prove this would be to examine what would happen if an M feature did not occupy any of the slots 2, 3, or 4. Since there are no F or T features in this issue of the newsletter, the only feature remaining to occupy these three slots would be the single I feature that also occupies slot 1. However, a single feature cannot span more than three consecutively numbered slots, as discussed earlier, because the newsletter requires at least three features in total. (Graphics are not features, so even if the I feature occupies slots 1—3 only, with a graphic in slot 4, slots 1—4 would still contain only one feature!) So, the maximum number of features in such an issue of the newsletter would be two, and not three:
June15_game_4_#22_diagram_3.png
Clearly, then, an M feature must occupy at least one of slots 2, 3, or 4.

Answer choice (E) is incorrect, because an M feature need not occupy either slot 3 or slot 5: these slots would simply not be occupied by any features, and would therefore contain graphics. We would still have at least three features, as long as slots 2 and 4 are occupied by two separate M features:
June15_game_4_#22_diagram_4.png
Such a solution would not violate any of the rules in the game, suggesting that answer choice (E) does not need to be true.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 jy499
|
Hello!

I'm stumped by this question because it seems to me that answers (D) and (E) are both correct.

The first rule states that "Any feature occupying more than one slot must occupy consecutively numbered slots." Doesn't the pattern "I M G M G" violate this rule? After all, in the aforementioned pattern, Marketing does not occupy consecutively numbered slots.

It seems to me that no matter how Industry is arranged (as long as it occupies slot 1), Marketing must occupy 2, 3, 4, and/or 5. Thus, answers (D) and (E) are both correct.

However, at the same time, if the only possible feature options are Industry and Marketing, doesn't that violate the rule that "there are at least three features per issue"?

I definitely think I'm missing something...please let me know!

Thanks,
Jane
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Jane,

The first rule of this game is often misunderstood. An order like IMGMG isn't necessarily bad, but it depends on whether the two Ms are the same feature or two different features. If the two Ms are intended to be two different slots occupied by the same feature, then that order doesn't work - the first rule is violated. But you can certainly have multiple different features of the same type. So in the hypothetical at the bottom of the first post in this thread:
Administrator wrote:We would still have at least three features, as long as slots 2 and 4 are occupied by two separate M features:
The two different Ms are not the same feature. There is an industry feature in slot 1. It occupies just slot 1. There is a marketing feature in slot 2. It occupies just slot 2. There is a graphic in slot 3, and it occupies just slot 3. There is a marketing feature in slot 4, but it's an entirely different marketing feature. So it's not a violation of the first rule to have this feature be here. It occupies just slot 4. Then a graphic in slot 5 rounds out the slots. There are three features, so that condition in the scenario is also satisfied.

Note the difference between "There are at least three different types of features" (not what the scenario says) and "There are at least three features" (which IS what the scenario says). If there are three different marketing features, the scenario has been satisfied. The "types" are just the categories telling me which kind of feature it is; a feature itself is a particular instance of that type. So something like MGMGM would be fine, as long as all the Ms are different features (I don't want to violate the first rule here!).

Robert Carroll
 roesttezz
|
I don’t think that this question makes sense. Once slot 1 is occupied by the old industry feature, it makes only M and G the only options available. However, the question has stated that “Any slot not containing a feature contains a graphic”, which translates into that graphic is not a feature. And when G is not a feature, it is impossible for them to have at least three features per each issue.

I believe that this question only makes sense if G is a feature. However, based on the wording of the question, it makes it impossible for G to be considered as one. I know that it is hard to blame LSAC on the wording, but don’t you think it is one of the cases where it did not make it confusing but instead made it impossible to answer the question?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
It looks like you may be confusing "feature" with "type of feature," roesttezz. You're right that the only type of feature left to place is M, but there is no restriction on how many Ms there are. Here are a few possible solutions that work for this question:

An I in slot 1, and 4 Ms in each of the remaining slots (IMMMM)

An I that occupies slots 1 and 2 (it's still just one I!), an M in 3, a G in 4, and an M in 5 (_I_MGM)

An I in 1, then a G, then two MMs, then another G (IGMMG)

And there are many more!

Picture this newsletter, and imagine that it has at least three stories in it. More than one of those stories could be about Marketing. Maybe one is on how to use social media to market your business, another is about using networking to increase word-of-mouth, another is about data mining to understand your target demographic, etc. Those are different features, but of the same type.
 roesttezz
|
Thank you for your reply :-D ! Does this mean that it cannot contain M as a feature but M as a type of feature? If so, how can one be a type of a feature when it is itself not a feature to begin with?
 Luke Haqq
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi roesttezz!

Not sure if this answers your question, but the issue could contain multiple M (marketing) features.

You made the correct initial inferences, namely, if slot 1 is occupied by an industry feature, then we know that there are no finance or technology features at all in the issue, which means that the remainder are either M or graphics.

But that doesn't mean that graphics are features, even though we know that there are at least three features per issue. For example, there could be two marketing features, the first taking up slots 2 and 3 and the second taking up slots 4 and 5. This meets the requirement that the issue contains at least three features--one is an industry feature, and the other two are marketing features.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.